Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deer Creek what are they
Fished Deer Creek today caught a lot of rainbows brought 5 home I did not want to keep that many but did 
in the picture put a tape on one he was 19" may be one there that is 20" 
most we got was 17 to 18"  one time had 3 on at the same time.

using 4 downriggers    caught all down between 9' and 16'   I was in a lot of fish, what was weird was watching my live scope
would see them they would be up high and get close to the boat and dive down about 10 to 20 feet 
I was in water that was 35 to 25 feet deep.   I saw a lot of fish deep but could not catch any below 16 feet.

in the snap shots tell me what kind of fish are they on the bottom I saw a lot of them but could not catch any.[Image: 20201015-124358.jpg]

[Image: snp1015200052.jpg]

[Image: snp1015202626.jpg]

[Image: snp1015204706.jpg]

[Image: snp1015205913.jpg]
Your big marks may be walleyes...or brown trout...or carp.  I suspect most of the browns are up in the river spawning now.  But walleyes school up and work their way deeper as the water gets colder.

You need better electronics.  They gotta be able to show spots, large scales, pucker mouths, teeth and other identifying features.  Otherwise it's a guessing game.

Nice 'bows.  Deer Creek always has some decent trout...if you can get through the new planters in the fall.
I would lay money on them being carp. I worked the west side a couple of years ago seeing marks like that and finally pulled up a carp on a bottom bouncer. Have also seen the carp pile up on that west shoreline in the spring as the water warms.
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
Those bottom fish look very interesting. How did you fish for them? They are very tight on the bottom.
Was that a flat mud bottom or along the west banks?
The sonar system on this is the very best:

https://indianapublicmedia.org/theinbox/...0in%202012.

Ronald    Smile
Wow...Bluefin Tuna down there..."We're Markin'!!!"....Actually, if we were in my boat and my screen showed like that (yeah, don't I wish), and nothing was taking my best offerings...they'd be Kokanee salmon... Big Grin
(10-16-2020, 12:10 AM)doitall5000 Wrote: Those bottom fish look very interesting.  How did you fish for them?  They are very tight on the bottom.
I put one downrigger down first tried a flicker shad then a repela that i made that has worked for browns, then a worm harness with a dodger, maybe should have left the dodger off.    then gave up brought that downrigger up for rainbows.   I had a sudden death hook on that was catching rainbows maybe should have put that down.
was fishing for rainbows so my speed was 1.7 to 2 mhp but some times i would slow down to 1 mph. 

was on the west side the fishfinder looks like a soft bottom,  I think I will go back in about two week and put a camera down, stay tuned.
(10-16-2020, 02:04 PM)liketrolling Wrote:
(10-16-2020, 12:10 AM)doitall5000 Wrote: Those bottom fish look very interesting.  How did you fish for them?  They are very tight on the bottom.
I put one downrigger down first tried a flicker shad then a repela that i made that has worked for browns, then a worm harness with a dodger, maybe should have left the dodger off.    then gave up brought that downrigger up for rainbows.   I had a sudden death hook on that was catching rainbows maybe should have put that down.
was fishing for rainbows so my speed was 1.7 to 2 mhp but some times i would slow down to 1 mph. 

was on the west side the fishfinder looks like a soft bottom,  I think I will go back in about two week and put a camera down, stay tuned.
Wow I would love to come along, I'll grab on to the down rigger for a real good look.  Maybe try snap jigging or a swim bait.  Doitall.
I think they are likely walleye or browns as well. If they are walleye, try running a crawfish or perch pattern crank, at or near the bottom, at 1.5 mph. If they are browns, try running a rainbow or perch pattern Rapala or similar brand name lure a foot or two above bottom at 1.5 to 1.7 mph. That slow depth hook behind a spinner worm harness at 1mph might also work for walleye.
Fish finders were like abstract art to me, so I bought my MarCum LX-9 because it had a camera that displayed the picture with the data and blobs of colors at the same time. That way, when I'm ice fishing and see color blobs that I don't know what they are, I'll lower the camera down and look at a real picture. One time I saw, well it's hard to describe and I didn't know what it was, so I lowered my camera down and saw it was a tree underwater with fish swimming in and out of it. Other times, it helps me understand bottom features. It takes the guessing out of it. I've been trolling with my friends and many times I've wanted to stop to lower my camera down, but the ship captain kept trolling. After a while, I got to where I can identify half of what I see on the fish finder without the camera, but I'm glad I have that feature.
Sonar can be frustrating at times. You can guess at times what is being on your screen. I was sharpshooting or open water ice fishing two summers ago on Deer creek from the float tube. I was so certain that I was marking walleye and sent down the jigging rap. Big mark chased it and I hooked into a big one. Golden toothless walleye( carp). So until you actually see with a camera or catch the fish, it could be anything.
Gabe
having not used sonar for a couple decades now
fishin were they aint can be frustrating too
my spend a good bit of time gittin down with the golden brown
carp pursuits would lead me to believe thats deep dark and colder than they prefer
but i dont target em less i can see em
"I have found I have had my reward
In the doing of the thing" Halden Buzz Holmstrom