Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scofield - deer hunters, duck hunters, & anglers
I had to make a trip to Scofield to meet up with a contractor at 10:00 so of course I had to throw in my tube.

I didn't get on the water until 11:30 and fished until 4:00 using my usual fly gear, fast sinking line and size 6 & 8 bead head leeches in brown, white, pond olive and crystal buggers in brown/orange/pearl.  I launched at the boat ramp in Madsen Bay since the wind was starting to kick up from the west and it is a little more sheltered along the west shore.

The best method was casting out about 55' of line and paddling long enough to get the fly to the bottom and then stripping it back in.  There is quite a bit of algae in the water column so the visibility in the water is only about 4' so the quick movements of stripping the fly in gets their attention.  I was fishing in 12' - 20' deep water most of the day and some of the fish would hit the fly as soon as it started to rise and others were not hitting until the fly was near the surface.  The water temperature is 50-52 degrees so the chubs are not a bother, I did not hook one all day.

The fishing was good the first hour and then it died for a couple of hours but after 2:30 until I left it was hot.

I picked up a couple of rainbows, six tiger trout and the rest were cutthroats.  Some of the cutthroats have grown enough to have made it to the slot. Smile 

The reservoir level is still pretty good for Scofield at 46% full.  There were a lot of folks out fishing because of the great weather and from what I saw, most of them were catching some fish.

[Image: P1060659-2.jpg][Image: P1060661-2.jpg][Image: P1060663-2.jpg][Image: P1060664-2.jpg][Image: P1060667-2.jpg]
Great report, good the hear the chubs are leaving you alone there and the trout are still doing good. Scofield is for sure on the rebound, now if those big trout start showing up, that will signal a big rebound.