Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear River Bird Refuge
It has been almost a month (22 Sep 20) since my last trip to the BRBR. That trip only resulted in one small kitty to stave off a skunk. At that time the main river level was up to what I would estimate about 80%. Most of the irrigation gates  and the gates at the bottom bridges were closed and only a small amount of water was flowing over the tops of a couple gates, so there was very little water flow anywhere. 

Yesterday was a quite different story. The water level on the entire main body of the river was up close to 100% and flowing well. Reeder bridge had water flow under it and the south side of bridge water level was quite a bit more than last month. 
All of the underflow canals that I could see while driving west toward the bottom bridge area appeared to have quite good flow under them. The gates at the bottom bridges all had flow thru them south, west, and north. Water level at the bridge "pool" was quite high. 

That is all good news for the water fowl hunters, I think. Lots of water has been allowed to flow out into the marsh areas.  And by the number of shotgun blasts going off in all directions, there should have been a good number of fowl harvested. 

I was hoping that after the last couple nights of cooler weather, the mosquitos would have been reduced. Ahh....but not the case.  There was an almost constant 10-15 mph wind blowing yesterday, and it didn't seem to affect the skeeters either. 
They were thick and everywhere.......... Angry 

I started out at the furthest north channel point for legal fishing.  Had several taps and bait strips right off the bat, then nothing.  

[Image: 083-17-Oct-2020-0812-a-m.jpg]

After about an hour, I moved back to the guard rail at the north channel gate. Set out my lines, and for another hour or so the only bites I got were from the aggressive mosquito swarms. 
I did have one positive aspect at that location. I met another angler that was working for Walleye. Turns out we both have similar military backgrounds.  I invited him to check out the BFT site as he said he had seen it but never really looked into it.  I did warn him that there can be some real "personalities" on the forum, but most of the time the regulars are friendly and helpful. 
Weather or not he joins up is a question, but the invite is out there.   

I moved further back up river to a spot near Willow Creek ....  spent an hour there. No luck either.   

Not ready to change my BFT avatar yet, but here is a representation of me yesterday......   [Image: skunked-fisher.png]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Forest, your trip the Bear is an all too common theme this year.  I have had my share of skunks.  The river has been really tough all through the summer on into fall.  The water flows have not been kind and I have seen more people fishing all up and down the river than in the past.  Catching has been tough as well.  Covid probably has something to do with the increased number of fishermen.  The drought and diverting water for farmers started early, most of the gates to the canals have been shut down, and the river was barely moving.  The river just doesn't have the numbers of cats like Utah Lake, with the majority of the fish biomass in the river being carp.  It you catch more than a couple of cats in an outing you have had a good day.

I hit the river twice last week and the water is cooling fast.  I did catch a 25" one day and a 21" and a 26" the next.  The bites were very tentative and they would mouth then spit out the bait, then mouth and spit it out again.  Finally taking it, but very different than earlier in the year when they would grab and gulp.  Lots of little bait stealers as well. 

This has definitely been the year of the south and Utah Lake has been fantastic.  I can't believe the numbers and size of the ones being caught this year. I wish the Bear had a carp removal program.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread.  I guess you'll have to get back to Willard to get that skunk smell off your hands.
Paul, no worries. You just added to the info I reported. I wasn't really expecting any great catches Saturday. Just another day I could get out on or near the water somewhere. Days are getting shorter and won't be too much longer I'll be stowing everything for the winter. 
Will be heading up to WB in just a little bit.   Cool  

Cool
The bears cool definitely the highlight of my summer learning a new waterway with a large biomass of willing poopfish i like to exercise with my whippy stick
make it worth my while with a bounty and ill  consider helping remove em. 
but i got no beef with catchin em more than once or need to remove them
Its definiately tough to predict at times the gauge at Corrine doesnt tell the whole story as water comes in and out downstream in several locations. i was surprised at how high it is now
I dont think i got skunked there this season there  but i staid longer than i wanted to avoid the skunk and had others shoot blanks but several times at willard  i couldnt  score and this is looking to be my first wiperless season.
wrassled up a 1/2 dozen
 kittys  week before last
  they were stacked up in front of a gushing culvert dumpin water in
[Image: IMG_1570_(2).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds]
[Image: IMG_1540_(2).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds]
[Image: IMG_1559_(2).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds]
[Image: IMG_1547_(2).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds]
[Image: IMG_1556_(2).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds]
went back a few days later and couldnt find em there again
w

[Image: IMG_1577_(2).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds]
[Image: IMG_1565_(3).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds]

went back a few days later and they were gone
or at least not eating anything i threw at em
did manage to score sum poopers
[Image: IMG_1591_(2).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds]
personally im a big fan of personality ,diversity and lollapalooza things

and it matters to me
"I have found I have had my reward
In the doing of the thing" Halden Buzz Holmstrom
In my younger years I toted a fly rod on all my adventures and I caught so many different varieties of fish including cats and carp, but never a bunch of cats in the same day. Your day on the Bear is quite a banner day of cat catching. Those carp are a blast to catch and I admire your dedication to the fly rod.  I know if I targeted the carp I could remove a bunch, but I'm looking for those monster kitties and don't usually want to spare a rod for carp.
I don't mind Carp so much. Like to catch several early in the season just before and during their spawn. Then slice and dice them for Catfish bait.  And they are lots of fun on light tackle.  Good fight, and I am told they can be good eating if prepared and cooked correctly. Just not to my taste, thanks.  Cool  

Cool
I think fishing especially in those areas where the water level is high, is difficult to catch the fish. If we have good fishing equipment and another credential then we can catch a lot of fish Mechanical steering system Dubai. The speed of the water can bring more fish into the river where we can hunting fish. Mostly the weather condition also affects the fisherman because without knowing the weather condition we went fishing and on the spot, we realized that this day is not suitable for fishing. I rejected my plan of fishing three times due to weather conditions.
Forest,
The Bear around Corinne has been off this summer as well. Slack water, high temps, and lots of nasty alge.