Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry Cast and Blast
I hit the Berry yesterday with all 3 of my sons. Two boys had deer tags so we boated them in to the narrows and I dropped them off to chase deer. My other son and I volunteered to be the taxi service and keep the radio on standby. What a hard job - sitting in a boat on Strawberry on a beautiful fall day but that's the kind of guy I am, willing to make those kind of sacrifices for family. It was pretty windy so we stayed in the canyon and had a great day. Ended up with 6 rainbows and a bunch of Strawberry "Model A" slot cuts. The bows were pretty small, probably this years plants but feisty and it's always a pleasure to catch a rainbow and watch their aerial stunts as they break the surface and get 3 feet of air. Definitely more fun to catch than the cuts. Sadly, no new blood stains on my boat - the boys did see 3 bucks but no shooting happened. The most unusual thing that happened is the school of giant fish that we saw right on the surface! Biggest fish I have ever seen at the Berry in 50 years but they wouldn't even look at our lures not matter what we tried.  Flies, jigs, spinners, bait even the famous Strawberry Wobbler wouldn't work! Check out the photo.

[Image: IMG-20201017-084222.jpg]
Nice big fish there on the surface. How crowded was the Renegade parking lot?
Not bad at all. A few deer hunter boats and some fishermen but the wind kept things pretty quiet for such a nice sunny day.