Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Bay trip # 26
Just about an exact repeat of trip # 25. Set out baited lines, sit back and drift, get to a depth they stop biting, power up, move back to general start vicinity, repeat. 

Chase the BRBR skunk out of the tackle box.  Boat 3 Cats, call it a day about 2 p.m.

[Image: 0155-19-Oct-2020-0907-a-m.jpg]     [Image: 0156-0911-a-m.jpg]

Launch                                       Temp and depth data at the dock

[Image: 0157-0935-a-m.jpg]

General vicinity of feed lot drift area

[Image: 0158-1012-a-m-Cat-1-CPR.jpg]    [Image: 0159-1036-a-m-Cat-2-CPR.jpg]    [Image: 0160-1326-p-m-Cat-3-CPR.jpg]

3 skunk killers all CPR. 
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
(10-19-2020, 10:35 PM)Tin-Can Wrote: Just about an exact repeat of trip # 25. Set out baited lines, sit back and drift, get to a depth they stop biting, power up, move back to general start vicinity, repeat. 

Chase the BRBR skunk out of the tackle box.  Boat 3 Cats, call it a day about 2 p.m.

[Image: 0155-19-Oct-2020-0907-a-m.jpg]     [Image: 0156-0911-a-m.jpg]

Launch                                       Temp and depth data at the dock

[Image: 0157-0935-a-m.jpg]

General vicinity of feed lot drift area

[Image: 0158-1012-a-m-Cat-1-CPR.jpg]    [Image: 0159-1036-a-m-Cat-2-CPR.jpg]    [Image: 0160-1326-p-m-Cat-3-CPR.jpg]

3 skunk killers all CPR. 
We thought that was you when we saw you come out of the marina - too far away from us to say hi. We had a similar day. The light breeze in the morning made it a bit hard to slow troll but it did eventually calm down to really nice. Still saw so many shad on the finder that at times it'd block seeing any fish below them. The fish are well fed there that's for sure.
 I had a hunch that was you guys right out past the buoys.  Couldn't see details that far, but figured you had lines out. Thats why I went so wide west and north around you before getting back to the feed lot area. 
You sure are right about plenty of feed for all the bigger fish.  I'm surprised the bigger Cats are still going after my raw shrimp.  But maybe it looks and smells different enough to be interesting.  The last couple Cats I kept, both had fat bellies full of partially munched shad. Some looked  to have been about 4 to 5 inch long when they were eaten. 

Got at least one more day tomorrow with good weather. Warm, light breeze, no rain. Gonna head back out to south marina in the morning. Maybe I won't get side tracked by having to fix another trailer light. 

Cool
Tomorrow's weather looks great for kat crunching. You ought to have a good trip
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
I to was at willard today. Saw lots of fishes, all over the bay. Started at the island. No fish on top of the island (8 to 10 feet) Around the island in about 15 feet lots of suspended fish from 5 feet down to abou 12 feet. No bites, I think I could see them laughing at my flicker shad's. Lost one of my bouys i left there. Ran to the south west corner humps and there to lots of suspended fish. Wish I would have had a net to cast. I would like to know what they were. Did get three nice cats.
On the way home saw lots of fish at the bouys and in the south marina channel.
Didn't bring any fish home, but did enjoy the beautiful day on the water.
(10-20-2020, 10:16 PM)Tin-Can Wrote:  I had a hunch that was you guys right out past the buoys.  Couldn't see details that far, but figured you had lines out. Thats why I went so wide west and north around you before getting back to the feed lot area. 
You sure are right about plenty of feed for all the bigger fish.  I'm surprised the bigger Cats are still going after my raw shrimp.  But maybe it looks and smells different enough to be interesting.  The last couple Cats I kept, both had fat bellies full of partially munched shad. Some looked  to have been about 4 to 5 inch long when they were eaten. 

Got at least one more day tomorrow with good weather. Warm, light breeze, no rain. Gonna head back out to south marina in the morning. Maybe I won't get side tracked by having to fix another trailer light. 
 Hopefully it went well for you today. We have some yard/garden work we need to get taken care of while its still not yet frozen. With teens in our forecast this was nicest day to be out there. Funny we too have side marker lights on our trailer that weren't working that we'll be needing to look at as well.
Well, I went back out today. And still have marker light problems   Angry  .  Fortunately it's not one of the lights on the back end that are required, so I just ignored it today.  Been an aircraft electrician for over 40 years, so I know I can find and fix that problem. Just gonna wait till the weather isn't quite so nice. And today looks as if it may be  the last nice day for a week or more.

I didn't get skunked today, barely. So I don't think I'll even bother with a Willard Bay trip # 27 report. Managed just one smallish kitty but the weather was great  Cool  

[Image: 0162.jpg]     [Image: 0163.jpg]     [Image: 0164-Cat-1-1022-a-m-CPR.jpg]

Looking south-east to Feed lot        Looking west                             Looking at the only kitty

Cool
(10-21-2020, 11:08 PM)Tin-Can Wrote: Well, I went back out today. And still have marker light problems   Angry  .  Fortunately it's not one of the lights on the back end that are required, so I just ignored it today.  Been an aircraft electrician for over 40 years, so I know I can find and fix that problem. Just gonna wait till the weather isn't quite so nice. And today looks as if it may be  the last nice day for a week or more.

I didn't get skunked today, barely. So I don't think I'll even bother with a Willard Bay trip # report. Managed just one smallish kitty but the weather was great  Cool  

[Image: 0162.jpg]     [Image: 0163.jpg]     [Image: 0164-Cat-1-1022-a-m-CPR.jpg]

Looking south-east to Feed lot        Looking west                             Looking at the only kitty
I thought I saw you driving by today, when I was down your way picking up some scaffolding. Good to hear you had another skunk free trip. I think we will give it a try on Fri but we will likely be launching from the North marina.
Curt, I just might try another trip tomorrow also. Weather forecast says winds light and variable. 

I got my trailer light issue fixed today. Took both the marker lights off the trailer at front near bow stand. At first I thought I might have had a bad ground on the right side light. Turned out the wires that crossed from left side to right side had some pretty bad corrosion between the 2 sections of frame.  I cut out all the bad wire, eliminated what was several splices in a 6 inch section, replaced with all new wire with just 1 good marine grade splice and shielded with heat shrink.  Installed new LED type marker light assemblies.  Worked perfect, should last another 13 years.............. Smile 

Cool