Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rockport Report - before and after cold front
Cookie, the Wookie, and I, have made a few quick trips to Rockport the last couple weeks. 2 before the cold front and one after (but before the snow)

We fished both sides of Rockport but on similar structure that I like for fall transition for perch: rocky points that fall into sandy bottom with a nice transition from shallow to deep with a cove (see video for examples). There are a number of these at Rockport and the perch are often found, in the fall or other times, using these transitions points to move between feeding and lounging areas. And most important for me - with in casting range of shore for my ultralight rig.

All three times I used Wookie Bugs and Pugly Perch bugs as a search bait. Once I found the bite I would throw out a second rod and dead stick it with bait (sometimes right off the bottom and sometimes floated up a few inches). The black shell with either a cream or yellow body bug worked best. I was always tipped with a worm or meal worm. 

I was there at first light 2x. Both times there was a very active bite for an hour after first light and both times it died quickly. My Deeper Chirp suggested they had moved deeper and outside my cast range. I expect a boat would have kept me in the action a bit longer. I also hit an evening bite that lasted longer but did not yield as good of number of sized fish.

Picked up a number or 10-12 inch perch (see photo and video). The big ones normally took an active retrieve with the bugs and rarely a dead stick presentation. Photo is a 12 incher using Pats old fillet board (thanks - we will try to keep it well exercised) , my new bubba knife and methods I watched Mildog and Pat use.

I am excited to see size at Rockport - should mean a fun ice season.

I also learned I have to watch the Wookie closer. I caught him carrying the fish bag to the water and releasing my perch stash so he could play with them. A very naught habit that cost me 6 very nice perch. If he wasn't having so much fun playing with his new toys I might have really got mad, but that sort of thing makes me Smile, despite the reduction of fillets for the fry.

Oh ya and Cookie caught perch on pink fligs - but they have a long way to go to look like pat's

Depth was all over the place. We caught perch on the evening bite as shallow as 3 ft and found fish past 30 ft. 

here is the video

https://youtu.be/jjl3hHFXxms

[Image: 20201023-113308.jpg]
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Good report!

Your Pugly perch is becoming more publicized and undoubtedly puzzling to those who read of it, unless of course they tune in to BFT or Youtube. ( a couple were fishing the shore line of Rockport last week catching perch using a Pugly Perch) it read something like that. It showed up  in the Heber Sportsman's Warehouse fishing report board. Vi and I went for a ride Sat. and stoped looking for some stuff.

Keep em coming I enjoy your whit and info.

RJ
Good informative report.  Glad you are still finding some porky perch.  Also glad you are keeping my old fillet board busy.  It was whimpering a lot in my garage...from lack of attention.

HOWSOMEVER...in looking closely at the background of your picture I gotta question.  Whassup wid dat POISON stuff?  Looks like a large economy sized bottle.  You expecting a lot of unwanted company?  Or do you have a vermin problem other than inlaws, outlaws and  other fisherfolk?  Or maybe you are just labeling your bottle of "private stock" to keep others from draining it?
[Image: PIRATE-PERCH.jpg]
(10-27-2020, 02:23 AM)r2u2 Wrote: Good report!

Your Pugly perch is becoming more publicized and undoubtedly puzzling to those who read of it, unless of course they tune in to BFT or Youtube. ( a couple were fishing the shore line of Rockport last week catching perch using a Pugly Perch) it read something like that. It showed up  in the Heber Sportsman's Warehouse fishing report board. Vi and I went for a ride Sat. and stoped looking for some stuff.

Keep em coming I enjoy your whit and info.

RJ

Ya, seen it quoted in the DWR report too. my five minutes of fame I guess.

I have had multiple inquiries about purchasing these bugs. However my production rate ( i managed 12 during confernce) suggests a rather dismal profit margin Smile and I hate doing it cause I have to - it is much more enjoyable to make em cause I want to

Maybe as winter sets in and I wrap up the home rebuild I might sit down a try to make a bunch up as I have a number of ideas on how to improve them and some design variations to try

i have loaned a couple out to others for additional testing, they confirmed action as well

(10-27-2020, 01:04 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Good informative report.  Glad you are still finding some porky perch.  Also glad you are keeping my old fillet board busy.  It was whimpering a lot in my garage...from lack of attention.

HOWSOMEVER...in looking closely at the background of your picture I gotta question.  Whassup wid dat POISON stuff?  Looks like a large economy sized bottle.  You expecting a lot of unwanted company?  Or do you have a vermin problem other than inlaws, outlaws and  other fisherfolk?  Or maybe you are just labeling your bottle of "private stock" to keep others from draining 

Corn shine is potent but giant pumpkin shine, cold brewed under a hallowed moon can kill ya. Got to keep the OSHA label on the stuff so the less hardy to don't partake unknowing.

My wife is a Halloween fanatic. I have tried to help her with counseling but even our local bishop stays away in Oct when our house transforms and the kid-friendly spook alley gets built
[Image: 20201024-144314.jpg]
[Image: 20201024-144317.jpg]
[Image: 20201022-141930.jpg]
[Image: 20201024-144320.jpg]
[Image: 20201025-164750.jpg]
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(10-27-2020, 12:27 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote: Cookie, the Wookie, and I, have made a few quick trips to Rockport the last couple weeks. 2 before the cold front and one after (but before the snow)

We fished both sides of Rockport but on similar structure that I like for fall transition for perch: rocky points that fall into sandy bottom with a nice transition from shallow to deep with a cove (see video for examples). There are a number of these at Rockport and the perch are often found, in the fall or other times, using these transitions points to move between feeding and lounging areas. And most important for me - with in casting range of shore for my ultralight rig.

All three times I used Wookie Bugs and Pugly Perch bugs as a search bait. Once I found the bite I would throw out a second rod and dead stick it with bait (sometimes right off the bottom and sometimes floated up a few inches). The black shell with either a cream or yellow body bug worked best. I was always tipped with a worm or meal worm. 

I was there at first light 2x. Both times there was a very active bite for an hour after first light and both times it died quickly. My Deeper Chirp suggested they had moved deeper and outside my cast range. I expect a boat would have kept me in the action a bit longer. I also hit an evening bite that lasted longer but did not yield as good of number of sized fish.

Hey ole boy try scaling them and eating them with the skin on! 100x better! 

Picked up a number or 10-12 inch perch (see photo and video). The big ones normally took an active retrieve with the bugs and rarely a dead stick presentation. Photo is a 12 incher using Pats old fillet board (thanks - we will try to keep it well exercised) , my new bubba knife and methods I watched Mildog and Pat use.

I am excited to see size at Rockport - should mean a fun ice season.

I also learned I have to watch the Wookie closer. I caught him carrying the fish bag to the water and releasing my perch stash so he could play with them. A very naught habit that cost me 6 very nice perch. If he wasn't having so much fun playing with his new toys I might have really got mad, but that sort of thing makes me Smile, despite the reduction of fillets for the fry.

Oh ya and Cookie caught perch on pink fligs - but they have a long way to go to look like pat's

Depth was all over the place. We caught perch on the evening bite as shallow as 3 ft and found fish past 30 ft. 

here is the video

https://youtu.be/jjl3hHFXxms

[Image: 20201023-113308.jpg]
G'Job, Cowboy. Wish I'd been there.

If I may be so bold as to suggest a technique to a better fisherman....... in high mountain lakes where a fly and bubble get used, I was taught to SINK a casting bubble during slow times by filling it completely full of water, and maybe adding a tiny split shot. Wet flies work great this way, but a worm rigged straight, not balled up, on a hook is a killer.

You can cast a half mile this way, and while it can take a couple of minutes to let it sink, you can then crawl the torpedo-shaped bubble right along the bottom as slow as you'd ever want. I can't help but think that those deeper perch would clobber a rig like this; a worm with some little colored or flashy attractor, moving oh so slowly just above the sand.....

Or, maybe you just need bigger drop shot sinkers.....
(10-27-2020, 04:03 PM)Springbuck1 Wrote: G'Job, Cowboy.  Wish I'd been there.

If I may be so bold as to suggest a technique to a better fisherman....... in high mountain lakes where a fly and bubble get used, I was taught to SINK a casting bubble during slow times by filling it completely full of water, and maybe adding a tiny split shot.  Wet flies work great this way, but a worm rigged straight, not balled up, on a hook is a killer.

You can cast a half mile this way, and while it can take a couple of minutes to let it sink, you can then crawl the torpedo-shaped bubble right along the bottom as slow as you'd ever want.  I can't help but think that those deeper perch would clobber a rig like this; a worm with some little colored or flashy attractor, moving oh so slowly just above the sand.....

As that guy says on TV..."Now, THAT'S good advice"....I don't fish from shore alot anymore, but when I do/did, by filling a bubble like Springbuck said there, can be a very productive method....distance and presentation....let it set, or twitch it, or slow reel back in...also a sunk bubble tends to not get snagged up as often as most bigger lead sinkers...
(10-27-2020, 04:03 PM)Springbuck1 Wrote: G'Job, Cowboy.  Wish I'd been there.

If I may be so bold as to suggest a technique to a better fisherman....... in high mountain lakes where a fly and bubble get used, I was taught to SINK a casting bubble during slow times by filling it completely full of water, and maybe adding a tiny split shot.  Wet flies work great this way, but a worm rigged straight, not balled up, on a hook is a killer.

You can cast a half mile this way, and while it can take a couple of minutes to let it sink, you can then crawl the torpedo-shaped bubble right along the bottom as slow as you'd ever want.  I can't help but think that those deeper perch would clobber a rig like this; a worm with some little colored or flashy attractor, moving oh so slowly just above the sand.....

Its a good suggestion 

The old Power Bait bubble-bobber-bomber rig but with a flig. Yes, that would add some range to my cast. I don't really want to take off my finess jiggers hat for the bobber dude t-shirt. But my wife destroys me at the Gorge with a similar set up while I stick to my snobbish ways pitching jigs smaller than a sow bug. Sometimes ya just got to do it, (big red bobber and a gob of worms) and fib later

Speaking of that did I ever tell you about the 40" musky I caught on my 3wt fly rod with a bucktail streamer? Well I was fishing up near.....
Great report and video as always.