Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice Sled Upgrade using ATV ramp
I've upgraded my jet sled from having wooden risers between ski and sled to aluminum risers. I had a tri-fold ATV ramp not being used since it got warped from too heavy of a load. I used two of the three sections on my upgrade. This was enough for both sides and the center support. The center support is hinged to the uprights. The uprights are attached to the skis with counter sunk 1/4-20 flat head bolts. This upgrade has greatly increase the sturdiness of the sled and raised the sled about 5 inches off the ground. The sled is attached with 4 each 3/8th inch spring pins. With the pins pulled the risers will fold flat against the center support, minimizing storage area in vehicles if necessary.

[Image: IMG-1180.jpg]

[Image: IMG-1180c.jpg]

[Image: IMG-1181.jpg]

[Image: IMG-1182.jpg]

[Image: IMG-1183.jpg]

[Image: IMG-1184.jpg]
Good fishing to all.   Hue
That should work dandy. Just need some ice.
Seems like a good option for those of us without an aluminum welder. Did you by chance weigh it?

Kent, I found some frozen water today. The season has all but started. Doubt you’re interested in sub footer Brooke’s though. Unfortunately my target pond was still wide open. Severe clear, windy and warm. Love the clear Uinta water. Had a blast watching all the Brooke’s spawning in the shallows when the wind stopped the ripples
(10-30-2020, 01:25 AM)EyLayo Wrote: Seems like a good option for those of us without an aluminum welder. Did you by chance weigh it?
Good question. I just weighed the frame work at 13.2 lb., not including skis. Being surprised, I think that I will cut out some of the rungs. They won't be holding up a 500lb. atv, so it will still be plenty sturdy. I will post new pics when done. Should be able to remove about 4lbs.or more.
Nice work.  Keep coming up with different designs in my mind but none seem to work out the way I want them.
Bryce Lowder
I do what the voices in my wife's head tell me to.
After removing several rungs I lightened the frame by 2lbs.. The frame + skis now weigh 18.3lbs. and the jet sled weighs 11.7lbs. for a total weight of 30lbs.. I feel like it will be so much more solid, than with my old wooden risers, for being pulled behind a snowmobile.

[Image: IMG-1185.jpg]

[Image: IMG-1186.jpg]
Where are you planning on attaching your tow rope/hitch? I didn’t see any attachment spots on the sled. I wonder if your spring pins would keep the sled and tub mated together if you pull from just the tub holes
(10-30-2020, 04:45 PM)EyLayo Wrote: Where are you planning on attaching your tow rope/hitch? I didn’t see any attachment spots on the sled. I wonder if your spring pins would keep the sled and tub mated together if you pull from just the tub holes
My tow rope attaches to the tip of the skis. This aids in turning the sled too, with a slight lifting added by me. It was pulled this way last year behind a snowmobile in tandem behind another sled and pulled and turned just fine. I am amazed at how much easier the sled is to pull when mounted on skis. There is no lateral force on the tub and the weight of the gear keeps it anchored to the frame, so the pins mainly just keeps the tub from sliding off the frame when being pulled up the bank. Anyway, that is my hopes.  Big Grin

(10-30-2020, 03:55 PM)BRL1 Wrote: Nice work.  Keep coming up with different designs in my mind but none seem to work out the way I want them.
Thanks. I seem to have an inner force that drives me to modify most everything. Sometimes it requires modifying the modified.
Nice setup you have there. Hopefully see you out on the Hyrum hard deck again this upcoming season.
Gotcha. Looks like it will work dandy for ya. Good luck this season
Looks good!
(10-31-2020, 01:38 AM)muirco Wrote: Looks good!
Thanks, all I need now is some BFT decals on it, some ice, and some fishy smell.