Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bounty on brown trout in the Colorado River
Too bad that they can't do this for carp on Utah Lake:

https://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/archiv...5j5zdSfGMw
Paid to fish for brown trout - my new occupation?
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
It's stupid.

They want a higher rate of mortality, but they keep the existing restricting artifical only + barbless rules?

This problem started in the 80's. People were catching 10lb+ rainbow trout, so anglers started requesting restrictions to protect those fish that grew large under "general" regulations. What happened? Because of the protections, the population size grew - obviously. What population sizes increase, then average fish size decreases. Today we have a million 16" trout in that river.

If they truly want brown trout reduced, then get rid of the artificial only + barbless hooks restrictions, and allow more harvest of all trout. They can keep the bounty of they want.
$25 a fish > 6", no limit....I'm game! Big Grin
(11-03-2020, 05:42 PM)richyd4u Wrote: $25 a fish > 6", no limit....I'm game! Big Grin
Good Luck! I haven't fished Marble Canyon in about 5 years. I never caught any browns or heard of anyone catching them. Any idea of the numbers of browns in there now?  Tailwaters aren't my favorite places to fish but I like Marble Canyon far more than below Flaming Gorge. November can be a good time to fish mid day. Just beware when the sun drops behind the canyon walls you feel the heat turning off very quickly. Possible that I'll be passing through there in about a month. If I do hopefully I'll have time to fish. Already have the AZ license.
(11-03-2020, 06:08 PM)Joe_Hill Wrote:
(11-03-2020, 05:42 PM)richyd4u Wrote: $25 a fish > 6", no limit....I'm game! Big Grin
Good Luck! I haven't fished Marble Canyon in about 5 years. I never caught any browns or heard of anyone catching them. Any idea of the numbers of browns in there now?  Tailwaters aren't my favorite places to fish but I like Marble Canyon far more than below Flaming Gorge. November can be a good time to fish mid day. Just beware when the sun drops behind the canyon walls you feel the heat turning off very quickly. Possible that I'll be passing through there in about a month. If I do hopefully I'll have time to fish. Already have the AZ license.
How do you even fish that part of the canyon?  Is there public launch access just below the dam or do you have to motor up from Lees Ferry?
you motor up from Lee's Ferry.
I would love to go kill brown trout for money! With all the focus on eliminating my beloved brook trout from waters I would love to go get some lucrative revenge!!
I’ve never seen game wardens at Lee’s Ferry. Hopefully the no bait barbless hooks rule is just treated like the mask mandates in Utah. Just a feel good type of thing that isn’t enforced. Personally I caught a 24” brown trolling a big rainbow rapala in a deep hole just below one of the campsites in late October. My depth finder said it was 50’ deep. I have caught two other small ones on spinners just below the dam .