Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trick?,or Treat?, at East Canyon today, 10-30
Buddy and I took the half-mile ride down the boat ramp this morning at E.C.  Hoping to be Treated trolling for the rainbows, or any willing finned creature....We were pretty much Tricked in 3 hours, trying various combos, and depths of 7', 11', 15', 20', 30', even 40'....fish finder couldn't show fish at 7' or 11', but I thought there was a chance that's where they were...nope....a few, very few, showed at 20,30, and 40', and after all our travels, we each had 1 bite, each wrestling in 1 of those 9 or 10"ers....Talk about SLOW, and frustrating....screen was barren of any marks almost all the time, especially up toward Taylor's fork area....and nothing going on near the dam either...very surprising....However...great day on the water for boating, weather was great, very little wind, and we certainly got to relax today...and no wear and tear on the net. Angry One other guy I talked to, as we were pulling our boats out, said his crew caught 4 of those 9/10"ers....do believe that's it for me at E.C. this Fall..
East C hasn’t been lucrative for me this year. Not sure it’s worth trying through the ice either. At least you didn’t keep the skunk in the boat.
I've pretty much given up on EC, too. Used to be able to find decent smallies there, and was excited to learn that crappie were introduced. However, in warm weather, the ski boat crowd pretty much ruins any fishing - especially when you're in kayak. And the smallies seem to have beamed up to somewhere else. Never did catch a crappie there. It's managed as a trout lake, which I do not care to fish for.
EC sits in my backyard and I too rarely fish it. As for a trout fishery its okay and plenty of hatcheryand holdover bows put Smiles on tanglers faces, but I get my trout fix, when the urge occurs, at the Gorge or the Berry or Uintas or such.

But I have hope for its future. They are planting kokes again, which will restore an old friend from its past and help to spread koke fishers out to other waters. And adding wipers throws a new twist to the game if they can keep a base level of them in it.

I do wish, at least one of the perch, crappie, or smallmouth game was a bit better. There is an abundant crayfish population that should support them. There are some big smallies still but I would agree the numbers seem down.

Of course it can't help the DWRs plans when they have to also fight extreme drawdown in dry cycles.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew