Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Perch Search 11-5-20
Had a couple of reliable reports at the end of last week that the perch were starting to show up at the north marina.  I figured that a nice day like today...the warm before the storm...would have me smacking those perch.  Well...I did find one...but only one. 

Air temp at 6:45 launch was 38 and water temp 50.  Almost too warm for perch but still in the comfort zone for other species...like cats.  Fished from shallow to deep (18') for the first hour...outside the marina.  Saw lots of fishy marks on the sonar...shad mixed in with a few "groupies" (not groupers).  But, as has been the norm lately, fish hanging around the food supply are usually well fed and not too keen on munching anglers' offerings.  Didn't get so much as a sniff for over an hour.
[Image: OUTSIDE-MARINA.jpg]

There was also the usual squadron of terns flying around over the water and dive bombing the little shadlets that were either hitting the surface themselves or that had died during the night and were floating.
[Image: TERNS.jpg][Image: TERN-CHOW.jpg]

Then, just after 8 I worked my way into shallower water off Eagle Beach.  Was seeing "evidence" on the sonar screen but was still surprised when my rod tip started wiggling.  A "perchy" type wiggle.  Set the hook and brung in a nice footlong "tiger fish".  I thunk to myself "Aha...gonna kill it now."  I thunk wrong.  Only perch bite of the whole morning.
[Image: FOOTLONG-PERCH.jpg]

As I worked my way into my "Kitty Condo" area I got some cat-love.  Got two healthy twenty-something kitties within a few minutes of each other.  But didn't find any more willing cats for the next couple of hours before departure.  They also both came from water just under 10 feet deep.  Last week I was catching them almost twice as deep.
[Image: CHARTREUSE-PERCH.jpg][Image: FIRE-TIGER.jpg]

I'm optimistic that the incoming weather system will help drop the water temps a bit and get the perch more active.  I have always caught more after the temps dropped to 40 or lower...right up to ice-up.

As I was loading my gear back into my vehicle I got to meet fellow fligaholic "ThatcherGreg" ??  He was just launching and was heading to his own fave catfish zone...hoping to load up some prime eatin' for the freezer.  Hope he made it.

Fishing was slow, but it was still a good day...better than almost anything to be doing at home.  No skeeters, no skiers and only one other vehicle in the parking lot as I came in at 11ish. 
[Image: ANTISOCIAL-DISTANCING.jpg]
Nice looking perch Pat. That has a good ring (perchpat). I would like to reduce about 6 of that size to my dinner plate.

Looking at your photo I can see the water level, higher than I would have expected.

I miss fishing that place, but LB is close now and like Lynn, it only takes a short drive to get there.

Some day the big cats might return then I wont be able to resist.

rj
Pat,
It was nice to meet you and I put your purple flig to good use, it had several hit and runs and caught the first and biggest fish of the day.
(11-06-2020, 02:57 AM)thatchergreg Wrote: Pat,
It was nice to meet you and I put your purple flig to good use, it had several hit and runs and caught the first and biggest fish of the day.
Always good to meet up with a fellow fligger.  Glad that perple purch worked for you.  Some days the purple just gives off the right vibes.

How did you do overall?

(11-06-2020, 02:07 AM)r2u2 Wrote: Nice looking perch Pat. That has a good ring (perchpat). I would like to reduce about 6 of that size to my dinner plate.

Looking at your photo I can see the water level, higher than I would have expected.

I miss fishing that place, but LB is close now and like Lynn, it only takes a short drive to get there.

Some day the big cats might return then I wont be able to resist.

rj
Thankee sir.  Yep,  the water level is down from earlier in the year but has not been dropping much lately.  They have shut off the inflow from the canals but the water users aren't sucking any more out.

Glad to see you and Vi doing well on the bigger kitties down south.  You really got a keeper with that lady.
Pat, I headed down the road early with thoughts of checking the docks at Willard but at the last minute swung west and drug some bugs at Pineview. A fair number of crappie said hello, but no size and no perch or gills.

That is sure a nice Willard perch. Hope they start waking up soon.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Hey Pat seen you floating there about 10 ish as I was going home from the surgery. Wife wouldn’t let me go fish so maybe next time if I get these hands to quit hurting. Maybe next week I’ll be back to normal. Congrats on a nice perch. Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(11-06-2020, 03:31 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote: Pat, I headed down the road early with thoughts of checking the docks at Willard but at the last minute swung west and drug some bugs at Pineview. A fair number of crappie said hello, but no size and no perch or gills.

That is sure a nice Willard perch. Hope they start waking up soon.
I had assumed that the perch would probably not come into the marina this year because of the lower water levels.  They usually prefer at least 11-12 feet...and the harbor is no more than a little over 8 feet...some a lot shallower.  But, I did get a report from one BFTer last week of catching some perch right off the end of one of the docks in about 7' of water.   However, those perch do roam around a lot.  Last year there were some spots that were hot one day and no love any time thereafter.  Seek and ye shall find...maybe.  Stay in one place where there are no fish and you are guaranteed the stinky kitty award.

Got some updated intel last night that there are still perch to be had outside...but that they are on a brief midday bite.  No love before about 11 am and not much after 3.  I left about 11 so that might have been a reason for not catching any more.  Last year there was often a good bite right at sunup and then  more sporadic through the rest of the day.

My prediction is that we are entering a weather pattern change and it is going to get the water temps down into "perch preferred" range.

As you well know "Ya cain't ketch 'em where they ain't".  It is usually a "biblical system" thing on most trips.  "Seek and ye shall find."  Maybe.

(11-06-2020, 03:54 AM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Hey Pat seen you floating there about 10 ish as I was going home from the surgery. Wife wouldn’t let me go fish so maybe next time if I get these hands to quit hurting. Maybe next week I’ll be back to normal. Congrats on a nice perch. Later J
Sorry about the hands.  Hope you are able to get some relief and get back to the important things in life...like fishing.