Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Equipment
(11-12-2020, 03:01 AM)MACMAN Wrote: Yeah, I did it myself. I ordered kold cutters off amazon. Drive bit in a drill, took about 20 minutes and $12. . I did it from the front, while my boy inched it forward. I could get to 2 rows at a time. I didn’t want to do it, but I was cruising up at East canyon and hit a common patch of slick ice and about wiped out. Now I can just blast across spots like that no problem. Like I said, on the edges that get wet, I’m not sure how you’d cross it without studs. I think I still have a half bag I’d give you if I can find them. I’ll look.
Luckily, I have an electric winch installed in my man cave that is rated for 2k pounds.  I can lift the dog off the floor and spin the track I hope.  Should make it easy to install the studs.  I'll check with the shop when I pick it up to see what they recommend for studs.  Studs are not being offered on the SnowDog.com site.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
I built a new rod holder I'm pretty excited about, I think it will work really well... I'll try to put some photo's in later... I also built a new 30" UL rod that should be sensitive enough to pick up the lightest bites... Kind of fun to tie up your own homemade rods.... I plan on building a milk crate out of 2" steel mesh, want to have it big enough to hold a 20 lb propane tank and my buddy heater. Picked up one of those Blackstone 17" grills at the scratch and dent office for $50 so now if all goes well I may be serving breakfast hot off the grill on the ice this year... You'll have to stop by if you see me... I also picked up an X200 Clam shelter from a friend that had built it up into a nice sleeper unit, so if I have that one on the ice, I'll also have the grill and be cooking... unless the fish are biting too fast... Likely the big girl won't make it out until we get 6" of ice or more, or I'm on an overnight trip... it will definitely be pulled by the snowmobile or it won't go out... Hope we get a good ice year I'd love to take the shanty and have you guys drop by and tell some tales while the grub is warming up... Hope we get back to no masks so we can enjoy those associations... Bring on the ice... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
We are pretty stocked up on all our ice supplies. Last year we made our smitty sled and it tows so nicely behind our 2up snow machine that we can haul as much or as little of stuff out on the ice. We put detachable wheels on our sled for moving across parking lots or ramps that have no ice so the skis don't get banged up badly. However a loaded smitty sled can be bit difficult to push up our trailer ramp so this year the nose of our snowmobile trailer will get fitted with a winch for pulling it up the ramp.
I bought a bunch of Fiskas (from FishUSA) and Kenders Outdoors (direct off their website) tungsten jigs.  Giving some to catchinon as an early birthday present.  Shhh, don't tell him!

Kind of interested in shad dart jigs, but not sure I want to buy a 30 or 50 pack.  I have a couple and like their geometry.  Did real well with a chartreuse/green one at Strawberry last year until it became a sacrifice to the lake gods.

Looking for a used snowmobile, but not used up.  Something to get us away from the crowds a little bit.

Mostly looking to get out and get fishing!

jack of all tackle, master of none
(11-12-2020, 03:02 PM)jjannie Wrote: We are pretty stocked up on all our ice supplies. Last year we made our smitty sled and it tows so nicely behind our 2up snow machine that we can haul as much or as little of stuff out on the ice. We put detachable wheels on our sled for moving across parking lots or ramps that have no ice so the skis don't get banged up badly. However a loaded smitty sled can be bit difficult to push up our trailer ramp so this year the nose of our snowmobile trailer will get fitted with a winch for pulling it up the ramp.
Jeff & Jill I love that wench idea for the snowmobile trailer, was thinking about that since my sled got heavier than one person can lift alone... I was wondering if one of those boat trailer hand wenches would work?  My trailer is out in the elements and I don't really want to go through all the efforts to wire an electric and try to keep it from corroding away from road salt spray... But a hand one might work for my old crusty rig... Thanks for sparking the thought... Jeff
(11-12-2020, 02:17 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: I built a new rod holder I'm pretty excited about, I think it will work really well... I'll try to put some photo's in later... I also built a new 30" UL rod that should be sensitive enough to pick up the lightest bites... Kind of fun to tie up your own homemade rods....  I plan on building a milk crate out of 2" steel mesh, want to have it big enough to hold a 20 lb propane tank and my buddy heater.  Picked up one of those Blackstone 17" grills at the scratch and dent office for $50 so now if all goes well I may be serving breakfast hot off the grill on the ice this year...  You'll have to stop by if you see me...  I also picked up an X200 Clam shelter from a friend that had built it up into a nice sleeper unit, so if I have that one on the ice, I'll also have the grill and be cooking... unless the fish are biting too fast... Likely the big girl won't make it out until we get 6" of ice or more,  or I'm on an overnight trip... it will definitely be pulled by the snowmobile or it won't go out... Hope we get a good ice year I'd love to take the shanty and have you guys drop by and tell some tales while the grub is warming up... Hope we get back to no masks so we can enjoy those associations...  Bring on the ice... Later Jeff

Jeff, it is good to see that you are cutting down on what you haul out on the ice. Blush Wink
(11-10-2020, 05:04 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Will that make it easier/faster/slower to leave someone on the ramp?
Or to throw them off on their back?
(11-12-2020, 03:02 PM)jjannie Wrote:  We put detachable wheels on our sled for moving across parking lots or ramps that have no ice so the skis don't get banged up badly. 
I would really like to see some pics of the wheels and mounts.
Good fishing to all.   Hue
[Image: FE768-B94-2612-4339-8458-E95-F5-FF27957.jpg]Here’s my rod holder, I have my camera mounted and contained solely to the rod holder so I think I’ll be able to quickly move between holes and check them out. My hope is this will make it easier to use the camera. I love the camera, but hate how long it’s taken in the past to get it set up. Hoping this will work. I made a cable reel and camera rotator from scratch and I think it will work as well as my boughten one. We’ll see anyway. Later Jeff
(11-14-2020, 01:53 AM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: [Image: FE768-B94-2612-4339-8458-E95-F5-FF27957.jpg]Here’s my rod holder, I have my camera mounted and contained solely to the rod holder so I think I’ll be able to quickly move between holes and check them out. My hope is this will make it easier to use the camera. I love the camera, but hate how long it’s taken in the past to get it set up. Hoping this will work. I made a cable reel and camera rotator from scratch and I think it will work as well as my boughten one. We’ll see anyway. Later Jeff
Mr Goldberg would be proud Jeff.   Big Grin
Bob Hicks, from Utah
Chuckling here. Some of you need to look up the meaning of "wench".
(11-14-2020, 01:50 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: Chuckling here. Some of you need to look up the meaning of "wench".
Oops!  Ya got me Rocky.  Good catch.  Certainly didn't mean to imply that my bride is doing the heavy lifting around here.  I corrected it immedigiately.    Big Grin
Bob Hicks, from Utah
(11-12-2020, 04:21 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote:
(11-12-2020, 03:02 PM)jjannie Wrote: We are pretty stocked up on all our ice supplies. Last year we made our smitty sled and it tows so nicely behind our 2up snow machine that we can haul as much or as little of stuff out on the ice. We put detachable wheels on our sled for moving across parking lots or ramps that have no ice so the skis don't get banged up badly. However a loaded smitty sled can be bit difficult to push up our trailer ramp so this year the nose of our snowmobile trailer will get fitted with a winch for pulling it up the ramp.
Jeff & Jill I love that wench idea for the snowmobile trailer, was thinking about that since my sled got heavier than one person can lift alone... I was wondering if one of those boat trailer hand wenches would work?  My trailer is out in the elements and I don't really want to go through all the efforts to wire an electric and try to keep it from corroding away from road salt spray... But a hand one might work for my old crusty rig... Thanks for sparking the thought... Jeff
 Yeah, we'll see once we install it, couldn't you just wrap the winch in a tarp with a tie down around for travel?

(11-12-2020, 06:18 PM)BURLEY Wrote:
(11-12-2020, 03:02 PM)jjannie Wrote:  We put detachable wheels on our sled for moving across parking lots or ramps that have no ice so the skis don't get banged up badly. 
I would really like to see some pics of the wheels and mounts.
 I'll post a few pics later today....
(11-12-2020, 03:46 PM)joatmon Wrote: Kind of interested in shad dart jigs, but not sure I want to buy a 30 or 50 pack.  I have a couple and like their geometry.  Did real well with a chartreuse/green one at Strawberry last year until it became a sacrifice to the lake gods.
I make and use a lot of different kinds of jigs.  The shad dart head has always been a favorite...especially for vertical jigging...as in ice fishing.  The shape of the head distributes the weight evenly...front to back...so that when dressed with feathers, plastic and/or bait they hang pretty much horizontal.  Fish like that and you get better hooksets.

Here are some pics of dart head options...including flattening the heads vertically to change the profile...and to give them a bit of flutter on the drop.
[Image: DART-ICE.jpg][Image: DART-HEAD-ICE-JIGS.jpg][Image: FLAT-DARTS.jpg]
I just received from Ebay a 3-pak of Quickset self setting tip up triggers for $10. I will use them to turn my rod holders into Jaw-Jackers. Testing them out in the kitchen, they work amazingly well. They have 3 different release settings, very smooth release, and fits even the small rod tips.
[Image: IMG-1219.jpg]

[Image: IMG-1220.jpg]

[Image: IMG-1221.jpg]

For me, they will work fine without forking out the big bucks for a jaw jacker.
Rocky, here is one more thing that you could add to your Goldberg.
(11-11-2020, 04:00 AM)MACMAN Wrote:
(11-10-2020, 02:56 PM)dubob Wrote: Okay guys & gals - what's new for you this year?  New tents, new tackle, new ride, new sonar, etc?  I'll start off by saying my snowmobile & trailer are sold and gone.  I'm waiting on delivery of a SnowDog (Standard w/ reverse in white camo) and looking for a new enclosed trailer (6 X 10 Cargo) to carry all my gear.  Should be an interesting season and I'll be going up to the High Uinta lakes soon.  What is new in your arsenal this year?
Dubob, 
Last year I got the same Snowdog as your getting. Ran it all of last year and loved it. I bought 2 of the swivel chairs and only need one. If your interested in my extra, I’d make you a smoking deal on it. I had planned to drive sitting, but it’s just easier and more control while standing. The seat is great for a passenger tho. I got a wheelchair hitch carrier for mine, that is a good way to pack it around. I would also recommend studding the track. I used cold cutter 5/8. Did about half the studs as most do. It saved my butt on echo when the edges were sketchy and glare ice. I think your going to love it. Speed isn’t an issue- enjoy the ride. Mine will do about 20mph wide open. That’s plenty for me. I can pull 3 adults and loaded sleds with a flip shelter behind the train. Never even felt like I lacked power or torque.

MACMAN
Great idea for the wheelchair hitch carrier.  I have been thinking of a snowdog for a couple of years but loading and unloading out of truck or pulling a trailer just for it have been big hang ups for me.  The videos show people hand loading etc but those days are gone for me.
OK, Burley - here the pics you asked for....
 [Image: Sled-with-tow-bar-and-wheels.jpg]

[Image: Wheel-showing-axle-on-inside.jpg]

[Image: Wheel-showing-cotter-pin-on-outside.jpg]

[Image: PV-Jeff-ready-to-go-home.jpg]
Thanks JJ. Simple fix. I love it.

(11-10-2020, 02:56 PM)dubob Wrote: O  I'm waiting on delivery of a SnowDog (Standard w/ reverse in white camo) and looking for a new enclosed trailer (6 X 10 Cargo) to carry all my gear. 
How long ago did you place your order and was it through a local dealer?
(11-15-2020, 04:07 AM)BURLEY Wrote: Thanks JJ. Simple fix. I love it.

(11-10-2020, 02:56 PM)dubob Wrote: O  I'm waiting on delivery of a SnowDog (Standard w/ reverse in white camo) and looking for a new enclosed trailer (6 X 10 Cargo) to carry all my gear. 
How long ago did you place your order and was it through a local dealer?
Ordered it last Monday (Nov 9) from Backwater Performance in Orem.  I'm waiting for a couple of accessories to come in so I don't have to make 2 trips down there from the Ogden area.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I think that I remember from last year that the Snowdog machines don't require DMV registration. Can anyone verify this. I'm going to pull the trigger on the standard B13EMR with the sled and carry it on a wheelchair carrier (yet to be purchased). Recommendations welcomed. Snow dog width is listed at 24".