Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Equipment
New this year is a Lake Trout jigging rod, in the next month I need to add a new sonar and a 8" Nils auger.
(11-14-2020, 01:50 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: Chuckling here. Some of you need to look up the meaning of "wench".

Many years ago there was an ad in the Big Nickel for a 2000 lb military wench. Not a bargain at any price.
(11-12-2020, 04:24 PM)kentofnsl Wrote:
(11-12-2020, 02:17 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: I built a new rod holder I'm pretty excited about, I think it will work really well... I'll try to put some photo's in later... I also built a new 30" UL rod that should be sensitive enough to pick up the lightest bites... Kind of fun to tie up your own homemade rods....  I plan on building a milk crate out of 2" steel mesh, want to have it big enough to hold a 20 lb propane tank and my buddy heater.  Picked up one of those Blackstone 17" grills at the scratch and dent office for $50 so now if all goes well I may be serving breakfast hot off the grill on the ice this year...  You'll have to stop by if you see me...  I also picked up an X200 Clam shelter from a friend that had built it up into a nice sleeper unit, so if I have that one on the ice, I'll also have the grill and be cooking... unless the fish are biting too fast... Likely the big girl won't make it out until we get 6" of ice or more,  or I'm on an overnight trip... it will definitely be pulled by the snowmobile or it won't go out... Hope we get a good ice year I'd love to take the shanty and have you guys drop by and tell some tales while the grub is warming up... Hope we get back to no masks so we can enjoy those associations...  Bring on the ice... Later Jeff

Jeff, it is good to see that you are cutting down on what you haul out on the ice. Blush Wink
Yep I’m not helping myself there at all. Be lucky to stay on top with all the junk I haul out with me.

(11-14-2020, 01:20 PM)Jdubob Wrote:
(11-14-2020, 01:53 AM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: [Image: FE768-B94-2612-4339-8458-E95-F5-FF27957.jpg]Here’s my rod holder, I have my camera mounted and contained solely to the rod holder so I think I’ll be able to quickly move between holes and check them out. My hope is this will make it easier to use the camera. I love the camera, but hate how long it’s taken in the past to get it set up. Hoping this will work. I made a cable reel and camera rotator from scratch and I think it will work as well as my boughten one. We’ll see anyway. Later Jeff
Mr Goldberg would be proud Jeff.   Big Grin
Thanks Bob, I’m actually pretty happy with it. Hope it will work as well on the ice as it does in my shop. Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Just finished my livescope setup over the weekend. Hoping to get it out next weekend on henrys if the weather is decent.
(11-17-2020, 08:47 PM)DjHill16 Wrote: Just finished my livescope setup over the weekend. Hoping to get it out next weekend on henrys if the weather is decent.
You are going to use a livescope for ice fishing?
(11-17-2020, 11:51 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(11-17-2020, 08:47 PM)DjHill16 Wrote: Just finished my livescope setup over the weekend. Hoping to get it out next weekend on henrys if the weather is decent.
You are going to use a livescope for ice fishing?
Ya i bought a kit that turns it into an ice fishing bundle. I also have a normal ice ducer for the deep water days[Image: 20201114-095634.jpg]

image upload

I want to sit beside ya one day when you try it on the ice. Been watching to many videos of them on the ice lately and they are making me drool a bit.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(11-18-2020, 02:27 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote:

I want to sit beside ya one day when you try it on the ice. Been watching to many videos of them on the ice lately and they are making me drool a bit.
Thats just fine with me! I'll take it to Hyrum when it gets safe ice if your located up north.
Well, didn't get any new fishin gear exactly. I don't ice fish, so didn't need to do any gear prep there. But I did get the boat ready for next spring.  

Emptied everything out of all the storage spots, went up to Willard South Monday. Backed the stern in enough to put the water intake under, and ran motor for about 10 minutes in idle to warm up oil. Did an oil and filter change. While walking around the boat, noticed the trailer tires were getting down past the wear indicators, and one tire was almost bald.  YIKES. 

Tuesday  took boat and trailer into Les Schwab in Clinton. They have done all my tire and wheel bearing needs since 2011. 
Got new tires, new inner and outer wheel bearings, bearing seals.  
Went to a local drive thru car wash and did a high pressure hot water wash inside and out.  

Got boat back to the shed, tilted and supported on tilt frame I built several years ago so it could drain.  Disconnected battery and hooked up to float charger to prevent freezing. 
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
(11-18-2020, 02:04 PM)Tin-Can Wrote: I don't ice fish . . .
What's the matter - don't cha wanna have fun anymore?   Big Grin
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Not that kind. Don't care for cold weather and not ready to spend the $ to buy all the equipment ice fishing requires.
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
(11-10-2020, 04:57 PM)dubob Wrote:
(11-10-2020, 03:14 PM)lakepowellnut Wrote:
(11-10-2020, 02:56 PM)dubob Wrote: Okay guys & gals - what's new for you this year?  New tents, new tackle, new ride, new sonar, etc?  I'll start off by saying my snowmobile & trailer are sold and gone.  I'm waiting on delivery of a SnowDog (Standard w/ reverse in white camo) and looking for a new enclosed trailer (6 X 10 Cargo) to carry all my gear.  Should be an interesting season and I'll be going up to the High Uinta lakes soon.  What is new in your arsenal this year?

Last year was my big purchase (an enclosed trailer for two snowmobiles and my tents, etc.), but I’m curious about the SnowDog. I’ve seen them and talked with a guy using one up at Mill Hollow. Seems like they are slow compared to snowmobiles. Are guys buying them for short distances?
They ARE slow compared to snowmobiles.  But I wasn't aware that ice fishing also included racing to get somewhere.   Big Grin  (JK)

But compared to walking and pulling a hundred or more pounds of tent and gear, they are way faster and one heck of a lot easier to do.  KnowwhatImean Vern?  And at about 300 lbs, they are one heck of a lot easier to get unstuck compared to a 700-1000 pound snowmobile.  All I do outdoors in the snow and cold is ice fish.  This will accommodate that activity with gusto.  Probably not the best choice for everybody, but should work for me just fine.
How are they for going thru slush i would think you would get a face full when ever you went thru one? I think I would prefer being seated with a windshield in front of me, and personally I do like some speed when heading out across the ice on my machine especially if I'm making a run of 3 or 4 miles.  Sick
(11-27-2020, 04:58 PM)PACKFAN Wrote: How are they for going thru slush i would think you would get a face full when ever you went thru one? I think I would prefer being seated with a windshield in front of me, and personally I do like some speed when heading out across the ice on my machine especially if I'm making a run of 3 or 4 miles.  Sick
Like I said Pete -  Probably not the best choice for everybody, but should work for me just fine.  My choice of venues to ice fish is becoming smaller each year and I'm choosing areas with far less travel requirements to get from the truck to the fishing area.  Not planning on big lakes like Cascade or Flaming Gorge with 5 or more miles of travel across the ice.  Enjoy your sled and travel safe my friend.  See you on the ice somewhere.  Big Grin
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(11-27-2020, 05:53 PM)dubob Wrote:
(11-27-2020, 04:58 PM)PACKFAN Wrote: How are they for going thru slush i would think you would get a face full when ever you went thru one? I think I would prefer being seated with a windshield in front of me, and personally I do like some speed when heading out across the ice on my machine especially if I'm making a run of 3 or 4 miles.  Sick
Like I said Pete -  Probably not the best choice for everybody, but should work for me just fine.  My choice of venues to ice fish is becoming smaller each year and I'm choosing areas with far less travel requirements to get from the truck to the fishing area.  Not planning on big lakes like Cascade or Flaming Gorge with 5 or more miles of travel across the ice.  Enjoy your sled and travel safe my friend.  See you on the ice somewhere.  Big Grin
Hope to once my waterfowl hunts are over which last season ran into March. Once the ice is on the perch areas I will start trying some spots between the hunting trips. Perch are still my favorite fish to eat along with bluegill. I sure wish Pelican would start kicking out some nice gills I sure miss my winter trips down there.
Some of this isn't that new,. but I've gotten more serious about making more polished an long-lasting items, after all the prototyping and screwing around.

First thing, I made 3 new longer ice rods by buying cheap two piece rods (like the 410.00 Durangos from Mal-Wart, or one step up), cutting them off just ahead of the handle at the first wrap, and gluing the distal section inside that. Sometimes you have to cut another 2" section to shim up the fit. These seem to give me a custom length, sensitive rod without too much backbone toward the grip, and the longer butt/grip that I prefer.

Second, you know those puzzle-piece foam floor mats? I started using those dual purpose as rod holders and kneeling pads. If I cut one about 10" wide, leave the tabs on the ends but trim them off of the sides, and add a loop of string about 18" diameter, I now have a rocking-horse rod holder that jigs by itself when the wind blows. The tabs are offset from one end to the other, so I loop the string around say, three on the front, and four on the back, and adjust the loop until the mat bends to a crescent. Then I lay my rod across the span, like you would a bucket, and balance it.

I also made some tiny plastic flags, almost like a mast or sail, with miniature clothespins that clip on the tip of a rod and jig very subtly for me when the wind blows. This one is pretty new.

I made a bunch of slip bobbers out of some Dollar Store wet hair curlers, that look promising.

Improved my home-made underwater camera with a better battery, and bought new batteries for my drill, which may finally allow me to use it wit my auger.