Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bucket List Fish?
I have been fortunate to catch just about every species of game fish Utah has to offer. However there is still one fish that remains on my bucket list that I have not been able to connect with yet. That fish is a tiger muskie. I hope to remedy that in the next year or two. Do any of you have a bucket list fish or two you would like to catch in Utah?
I have caught all the game fish in Utah at some point in my life, but my laker, walleye and musky were small. Improving on them would be a big goal. Catching the cuthroat slam, would also be up there.

The goal I have tried two years in a row is to catch all the Utah game fish from the bank in one year - that one is really tough but been fun to try
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(11-10-2020, 03:53 PM)Big Sky Wrote: I have been fortunate to catch just about every species of game fish Utah has to offer. However there is still one fish that remains on my bucket list that I have not been able to connect with yet. That fish is a tiger muskie. I hope to remedy that in the next year or two. Do any of you have a bucket list fish or two you would like to catch in Utah?

Guess what?  my bucket list fish species is "Kokanee" salmon!   I read all the great posts about Kokanee catching, but haven't caught one myself.  

I mostly fish for bass and pan fish, and limited time for trout.  Kokanee fishing during open water requires different tactics.  I may try ice fishing for them if the right waters ice up this year.
I have caught every Utah game fish with the exception of a Sacramento perch. I have tried twice, but had zero luck.
(11-10-2020, 05:16 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: I have caught every Utah game fish with the exception of a Sacramento perch.  I have tried twice, but had zero luck.
I can only think of one body of water in Utah that has Sacramento perch. Is there more than one place in Utah to catch them?
(11-10-2020, 05:44 PM)Big Sky Wrote:
(11-10-2020, 05:16 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: I have caught every Utah game fish with the exception of a Sacramento perch.  I have tried twice, but had zero luck.

I can only think of one body of water in Utah that has Sacramento perch. Is there more than one place in Utah to catch them?

At one time, there were two, but not sure that they are still in one of the places, which was just a cattle pond.
I still need a tiger muskie too. Also need a whitefish, bullhead and sculpin.
fyi i was at pruess lake this weekend its slightly larger than a mud puddle right now... hopefully the fish make it through the winter.
(11-10-2020, 08:45 PM)Fritzfishin Wrote: fyi i was at pruess lake this weekend its slightly larger than a mud puddle right now... hopefully the fish make it through the winter.

Did you fish it?
no i was guiding a elk hunt but it was windy cold and white capping what water was out there. we have a house there in garrison so im out there quite a bit.
(11-10-2020, 09:06 PM)Fritzfishin Wrote: no i was guiding a elk hunt but it was windy cold and white capping what water was out there. we have a house there in garrison so im out there quite a bit.
Have you fished for those sacramento perch then? What works best to catch them on?
i have, all i was successful in catching was catfish though, i was trying just little chunks of worm from the bank on the bottom on the north end, maybe through the ice would be better, next summer ill take my kayak and fish finder and map out the lake, theres gotta be a couple deeper holes somewhere in there!

i did hear fly fishing for them is supposed to be productive. but back in the days guys use to just fill buckets and buckets of them like white bass at utah lake. i heard they thought they were a invasive crappie hybrid for some reason, they are still in there but i dunno how many, seems the largemouth are doing well and probably feed pretty heavily on them.

also you can run to dmad in your ventures to check off the white crappie Smile
im thinkin im a few k of casts and to many $18 launchs over on my tigger muskie
but i dont quantify much
i may try one more time this year, only game fish i need on my whippy stick list
id take an upgrade on my laker pup fer sure though
im into rough fish now
ive seen and blown a few 3' carp eats think i may had one on but got lumber yarded
one of these seasons im gonna git a co pike minnow to eat my fly
and lets em go cause squawfishlivesmatter and theyre cool fish that live in special places
[Image: copm.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds]
"I have found I have had my reward
In the doing of the thing" Halden Buzz Holmstrom
(11-10-2020, 10:30 PM)Fritzfishin Wrote: i have, all i was successful in catching was catfish though, i was trying just little chunks of worm from the bank on the bottom on the north end, maybe through the ice would be better, next summer ill take my kayak and fish finder and map out the lake, theres gotta be a couple deeper holes somewhere in there!

i did hear fly fishing for them is supposed to be productive. but back in the days guys use to just fill buckets and buckets of them like white bass at utah lake. i heard they thought they were a invasive crappie hybrid for some reason, they are still in there but i dunno how many, seems the largemouth are doing well and probably feed pretty heavily on them.

also you can run to dmad in your ventures to check off the white crappie Smile
I appreciate your reply. I've fished it once as well and only caught catfish. I might half to try the fly fishing thing. I caught a lot of smallmouth and a few largemouth bass while trout fishing with my fly rod this year. No reason it wouldn't work on sacramento perch I imagine.