Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Much Lincoln Fun 11 6 2020
ES: I fished out of Lincoln Beach 11 6 2020. Goal was 4 species for the day and ended up with only 2, but well over 40 fish. Water was 48-49 degrees and wind 0-10 out of the southwest. The lone cat came on cut white bass as did about a third of the whites. The rest came on a spin jig and a couple on a flicker shad. Most of the fish were near the bottom in 5 to 6.5 FOW. Plenty of fun on the light tackle. Most of the whites were 10 to 12 inches and very healthy.

Here's the link to the video, less than 10 minutes this time:  https://youtu.be/MEdr0yNX-E8

FS: Julie was planning to go to a bridal shower in St. George this weekend and I had some time so I went out of Lincoln solo on Friday 11/6. With the catfish contest officially over, I wanted to try something different. I decided the goals for the trip would be to get one catfish to check off November 2020, find enough white bass for a fish fry and get 4 species total for the day.

I launched about 6 A.M. and I was the only rig in the parking lot. I don’t know where the duck hunters were but I didn’t miss them as I got two good whites off the ramp as starter bait before I launched. The forecast was for a decent morning but with a good chance of strong southerly winds as the day wore on. I decided not to look for a buddy to go with me since they would have to take time off work for what might have been a very short morning if the winds arrived stronger and/or earlier than forecast.

The water temp was 48 at launch and rose to 50 by the time I quit a bit before noon. Winds were southerly, but ranged from 0 to about 10 mph and the later only lasted about 30 minutes. What a beautiful morning for what might be the last warm day for a long while!

I started out working a mud to rock transition dragging a white bass rig on an ultralight rod and a lime tiger spin n glo with a fresh WB strip on the other rod for my one cat. I said I started dragging, but that wasn’t quite true. In the near dawn light I had several things still to rig so I put the spot lock on in 5 FOW over the rocks and tossed the cat rig out the back and dangled the WB rig overt the side. It took a good 30 minutes to get ready for dragging because the whites just loved my dangled offering! The wind was just enough to keep the boat rocking and I set the bottom jug just a few inches off the bottom. Each time the boat rocked the jig would tap the bottom. I think I got 12 whites on that rig before they moved on and I started dragging.

Things were going well according to plan, less than an hour in and I had half of the 20 whites I wanted for the fry, and then it got better! I turned on the trolling motor and as the boat started moving my cat rod twitched. I tightened the line and had a cat on! It turned out to be a freezer size cat with what I hoped were YOY white bass in its belly. Last trip most of the cats had bulging bellies and two of the ones I cleaned had 4 of the little tikes each in their stomachs, but I forgot to get a picture and wanted to correct that error today.

By about 8:30 I had my 20 whites in the basket. They were taking the cat rig and the ultralight as I dragged them along the bottom at about 1 MPH. They did prefer the ultralight about 2 to one. I decided I should switch out the cat rod for something that might catch a walleye. I had gotten one about 2.5 pounds on the WB gear last weekend so I thought there might be more around.

I started with a crawler rig with a bottom bouncer and a Smile blade. To my amazement an hour later it hadn’t been touched. I wasn’t amazed that it hadn’t found a walleye, but not a single white even tasted the tail of the crawler! I had gotten another 10 or so one the ultralight, so I knew they were still out there.

Next I put on a flicker shad. They seem to work at slower speeds and that worked well with my jig n spin I was working for the whites. The wind had picked up to about 10 mph and it was a bit harder to control the boat, but I kept getting occasional whites on the jig. About 15 minutes into dragging the little crank it got hit pretty hard, but the fish didn’t stick or so I thought. After 45 minutes I was thinking I might switch it out and when I reeled it in a smallish white had the front hook in his mouth and the rear one near the bottom of his gill plates! I had dragged him for half an hour and in the wind I hadn’t noticed he was still on there.

About 10 I decided a walleye wasn’t in the cards and headed for the springs and then the harbor hoping to find a perch and a crappie. It wasn’t to be as I got nothing by the springs and only a couple of small whites around the harbor.

I had a lot of fun and estimated I landed north of 40 whites and the one cat. The whites were fat and healthy and larger that past years with about a third of them nearing 12 inches long. I put the nose of the boat on the beach near the ramp and went to cleaning fish. While I cleaned I watched 2 bank tanglers proceed to catch more whites in an hour than I had gotten all morning. They must have had quite school right in one spot because there were half a dozen more people shore fishing nearby and getting only one  every hour or so.

[Image: IMG-8353.jpg]

[Image: IMG-8356.jpg]

[Image: Onely-Cat.jpg]

[Image: white-in.jpg]

[Image: White-on.jpg]

[Image: double.jpg]
Thanks for the report. I enjoyed the video too. Last week my dad, brother and I got into a mess of white bass at the mouth of Provo Harbor. I have been impressed with the size of white bass this year. What a blast!

Matthew
Great report and video. Hoping to get my white bass in the freezer restocked soon, so your post was timely
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Nice report Jim. I saw your van/trailer in the parking lot but missed you cuz I only stayed a few minutes. I have fished the end of the ramp a few times this week and it is non-stop action for the white bass. They seem to favor the shelf at the end of the ramp, about 5-6 feet out. I caught my supply for early cat fishing next year and then fished a couple of days just for the relief of getting out of the house. The wb seem to bite anything shiny or curly as soon as it hits the water, ditto a small piece of wb fished under a bobber. I put a small spinner on and just reached out with about 3 feet of line and worked the spinner back and forth -- white bass every few seconds. Couldn't count the number of bass caught and released. It's not real sporty, but fun. It would be a great spot to take some kids to fish if the weather stays kinda warm.

Again, good report and glad you got out again before the water turns hard. 

Lynn aka BLK
(11-12-2020, 08:36 PM)Outfishing13 Wrote: Thanks for the report. I enjoyed the video too.  Last week my dad, brother and I got into a mess of white bass at the mouth of Provo Harbor. I have been impressed with the size of white bass this year.  What a blast!

Matthew
Thanks! It sounds like you guys had much fin fun as well! This time of year there tends to be a lot of lake that has almost no whites and a few places are crawling with them. Glad you found a good spot!

(11-12-2020, 09:51 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: Great report and video. Hoping to get my white bass in the freezer restocked soon, so your post was timely
Thanks for the kind words. Each year I seem to stock up less and less on whites because I prefer them fresh and I'm finding them more regularly near my cat fishing spots. The higer water has been a boon! I hope we get decent snow this winter so we don't start the downhill cycle yet.

(11-12-2020, 11:24 PM)Boatloadakids Wrote: Nice report Jim. I saw your van/trailer in the parking lot but missed you cuz I only stayed a few minutes. I have fished the end of the ramp a few times this week and it is non-stop action for the white bass. They seem to favor the shelf at the end of the ramp, about 5-6 feet out. I caught my supply for early cat fishing next year and then fished a couple of days just for the relief of getting out of the house. The wb seem to bite anything shiny or curly as soon as it hits the water, ditto a small piece of wb fished under a bobber. I put a small spinner on and just reached out with about 3 feet of line and worked the spinner back and forth -- white bass every few seconds. Couldn't count the number of bass caught and released. It's not real sporty, but fun. It would be a great spot to take some kids to fish if the weather stays kinda warm.

Again, good report and glad you got out again before the water turns hard. 

Lynn aka BLK
Thanks Lynn. That area has been killer lately. One evening I saw people on the sandy area near there catching them at rods length from the shore as well. 3 kids and a couple of adults. Lots of screaming and fun going on. I'm still hoping to get a december kitty before the water turns hard. We'll see how it goes. It was fun to take the focus off the cats for a few minutes. Congratualations on another great season and top spot!
Fun report Jim sounds like it was fun. Just like you said in your text to me a while back you like to run your boat as long as possible and sure enough here you are having fun lol. Great video and pictures to boot.
(11-13-2020, 03:15 AM)Mooseman75 Wrote: Fun report Jim sounds like it was fun. Just like you said in your text to  me a while back you like to run your boat as long as possible and sure enough here you are having fun lol. Great video and pictures to boot.
Thanks Justin! I still hope to get out a few more times before the water turns hard.