Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MA Meeting at Willard 11-12-20
MA stands for "Masochists Anonymous".   Several BFTers showed up to conduct a perch search in the frigid waters today...including myself, Wiperslayer, Wiperhunter and FatBiker...with his yak.  Air temp at launch was 24 degrees.  Water temp was 41 inside the marina and up to 43 outside.  And it was flat calm glass to the horizon.

[Image: W-W.jpg][Image: FAT-BIKER.jpg][Image: GLASS-GREBES.jpg]

Should have been ideal.  But with the hordes of shad dying off the birds were glutting and likewise the fish.  Hard to get overstuffed fish to go for any silly stuff  us fisherfolk offered them.  However, I got an email from Wiperslayer after getting home, saying they had found some willing perch.  I'll leave it up to him to make his own report.

[Image: WASHED-UP-SHAD.jpg][Image: TERNS.jpg]

I used a wide variety of lures and baits.  Got a couple of  rattle-rattle bites that felt perchy.  But they were not experienced enough to hold on.  Ended up my day only a couple of whiskers shy of a skunk.  But I did get two nice cats.  One was a measured 25 inches.

[Image: FIRST.jpg][Image: 25-INCHER.jpg][Image: COOL-CAT.jpg]

It was calm and lovely at launch...about 7:15.  Even though it was cold, it was quite bearable with proper layers and some handwarmers.  But about 10 am a SE breeze kicked up and it got cold and choppy.  That was enough for me and FatBiker.  We beat our way back into the marina.  I had planned to stay past noon to see if there might be an afternoon bite, but I got more chilled at 40 degrees with wind than I did at calm 20 degrees.  Noon was 'nuff.

[Image: MARINA.jpg][Image: 2-TO-B-8.jpg]
Willard is that yak's home, it seems. Good to see somebody else freezing himself in it!
I can't believe you let Curt and Ira load up like that. You sure you weren't tossing your small ones in their boat when they weren't looking
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Hey Pat, Thanks for another nice report. I think Curt and Ira have a secret spot where the perch like to hang out and it's likely not in toon range from the dock... I put my boat away getting ready for hard water, and didn't get my toon licensed this year since I never got it on the water but I sure would like to tangle with those chunky perch... May have to hope for ice for me to do it though... Thanks for the report.. Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(11-13-2020, 02:16 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: I can't believe you let Curt and Ira load up like that. You sure you weren't tossing your small ones in their boat when they weren't looking
Have ya ever heerd me (or read me) sayin' "Ya cain't ketch 'em where they ain't"?  They found an area last year that seems to be attractive to the tiger fish.  Lucky for them it held some more this year.  Good on 'em.

I did not find any myself, but usually do have some decent scores before the perchin's done.  Those silly fish are like most of the other species in Willard.  They move a lot looking for groceries and comfy water.  Here today? Maybe.  Gone tomorrow?  Most likely.

I do take a small measure of enjoys in knowing that I  am an enabler.  Got those boys hooked on fligs and they have fine-tuned their techniques all by their ownselves.  Nothing succeeds like success.  Or is that nothing exceeds like excess?  It's all good.
Appreciate the report Pat, sounds like a very chilly morning.
(11-13-2020, 03:41 PM)JArner Wrote: Appreciate the report Pat, sounds like a very chilly morning.
You can't remain a member of Masochists Anonymous if ya don't play the game a bit.  There are several of us diehard perch jerkers who have been knowed to break our way out through the ice to get at the last of the perch before full ice-up.  Not uncommon to fish all day in temps below freezing.  Bad enough in a boat but absolute nutsy in a float tube.

The good news is that most cold mornings are calm enough to survive with proper layering and some hand warmers.  But when the breeze kicks up the sane (survivors) usually boogie.  
[Image: WINTER-PERCHIN.jpg][Image: EIGHT-TO-BE-ATE.jpg]
Always good to see you Pat. Yesterday was my no fish day. First Willard skunk since early May. If you go often enough, especially this time of year, it's bound to happen.
(11-14-2020, 01:48 AM)FatBiker Wrote: Always good to see you Pat. Yesterday was my no fish day.  First Willard skunk since early May.  If you go often enough, especially this time of year, it's bound to happen.
Well then, it's good you got that out of the way.  Now you can get back to real fishing.
Thanks for another great report, pictures and the update on the MA group. I am hoping someday to get tough enough to be in that group...I think. I almost made it a couple years back when I fell in the lake on a frigid late October morning, and still kept fishing, but not quite. As I recall you said I might be crazier than you, but I don't abuse myself like that often enough to qulify for membership ...yet.
(11-14-2020, 03:05 PM)Piscophilic Wrote: Thanks for another great report, pictures and the update on the MA group. I am hoping someday to get tough enough to be in that group...I think. I almost made it a couple years back when I fell in the lake on a frigid late October morning, and still kept fishing, but not quite. As I recall you said I might be crazier than you, but I don't abuse myself like that often enough to qulify for membership ...yet.
In my opinion, anybody worthy of being labeled a "fisherman" is an automatic candidate for MA.  But some anglers are natural-born masochists.  Others have it thrust upon them...or however that goes.  Some of us kinda vote ourselves in...with all the wacko stuff we do in the name of enjoys.  Others, like yourself, experience a minor/major incident and then just tough it out.  Still qualifies if you want it to.

Be properly grateful for the good times you enjoy on the water.  Don't be so anxious to join MA that you do something rash and foolish.  Plenty of that to go around.