Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice sled modifications
Hello my fellow fishing family! With ice season hopefully coming I want to start a thread to see your cool inventions! I am looking to modify my ice sled to haul all my crap and would love to see your set ups as to what you have done! Thanks in advance and best of luck to all of you this upcoming season!
Just an auger holder that I added last year.
[Image: Snapchat-1599837063.jpg]
Auger holder, popup holder and rod holders, all on a jet sled jr, compact and light.
[Image: KIMG0422.jpg]
I put my Jetsled on skis with removable folding aluminum risers with aluminum cross bracing. I pull 4 pins to separate sled from risers when sled will be pulled behind my new Snowdog. 
[Image: IMG-1181.jpg]

[Image: IMG-1183.jpg][Image: IMG-1240.jpg]
Good fishing to all.   Hue
Nice setup
My rod holder assembly slides into 2 holes drilled in the back lip of the sled so the whole thing can be removed with the rods in it. I have two larger pieces of pvc mounted to the rafters of my garage that the assembly slides into to store my rods for the summer. Also put a rail around to hold all my junk better.
[Image: 20201122-135857.jpg]
[Image: 20201122-140020.jpg]
(11-23-2020, 05:12 AM)kblack1844 Wrote: My rod holder assembly slides into 2 holes drilled in the back lip of the sled so the whole thing can be removed with the rods in it. I have two larger pieces of pvc mounted to the rafters of my garage that the assembly slides into to store my rods for the summer. Also put a rail around to hold all my junk better.
[url=https://ibb.co/WtkqXR1][/url]
I notice you have two augers in your sled. Do you haul both out with you? I've been contemplating getting a new, smaller diameter auger, but wrestling with justifying having two. Can you tell me why you have two, and in which circumstances you would bust out the second?

Tying this question to sled modifications, I think I may need a bigger sled this year as I bought a tent and new fishfinder last year, and this year I have added a heater. If all goes well, I may need to add a small table and a butane stove. I don't know of any mods that will make the sled long enough to load my tent and a new, sturdier camp chair that is nearly as long as the tent bag when folded.
(11-23-2020, 06:23 PM)gaardvark Wrote:
(11-23-2020, 05:12 AM)kblack1844 Wrote: I have 2 augers because I have 2 teenage boys, use to be 3 but one has grown up and moved out. They often times want to move around a lot more than me, or go to a whole other part of the lake and try it out. So they know when they leave where i'm at they now get to use the hand auger (good for building muscle), and of course if they start catching fish i then move to where they are! I also long since got tired of hauling all the gear in one sled, so they also haul their own sleds and gear which is great for me. Then when they move out they already have what they need.
(11-23-2020, 08:14 PM)kblack1844 Wrote:
(11-23-2020, 06:23 PM)gaardvark Wrote:
(11-23-2020, 05:12 AM)kblack1844 Wrote: I have 2 augers because I have 2 teenage boys, use to be 3 but one has grown up and moved out. They often times want to move around a lot more than me, or go to a whole other part of the lake and try it out. So they know when they leave where i'm at they now get to use the hand auger (good for building muscle), and of course if they start catching fish i then move to where they are! I also long since got tired of hauling all the gear in one sled, so they also haul their own sleds and gear which is great for me. Then when they move out they already have what they need.
Thank you, that helps me in planning. I'm not sure I want my son to have all his own gear yet though. The loss of occasional tackle is worth having him want to fish with me. It nearly killed me this summer when he fished with a buddy a couple of times and I just let them go without me.

TL: DR-  The teenage son should be doing more of the grunt work while I've got him.
No exciting mods this year, but I did replace the skis on my smitty since I tore them to pieces on the roads at Cascade last year.. Did add the new sleeper tent and sled to the line up so my train is getting longer I hope I can still pull it... Looking forward to the ice camping this winter, I've usually been the one in the group that I fish with that heads home at night, but this year I'll try the overnight deal at least at Henry's and the gorge... Maybe another Cascade trip... would be fun to get a couple days in a row to fish... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!