Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linking cargo sleds behind Snowdog?
I know that there are several Snowdog owners on this forum and I would like your opinions on how is the best way to link cargo sleds behind the Snowdog sled. I am concerned about them sliding out of control while going down ramps and banks. It would not be good to have them pass me on the way down the ramp. Do you use a solid(ie. conduit) v shape hitch or just use rope? Would it apply to adding on a third sled?
Good fishing to all.   Hue
(11-20-2020, 04:38 PM)BURLEY Wrote: I know that there are several Snowdog owners on this forum and I would like your opinions on how is the best way to link cargo sleds behind the Snowdog sled. I am concerned about them sliding out of control while going down ramps and banks. It would not be good to have them pass me on the way down the ramp. Do you use a solid(ie. conduit) v shape hitch or just use rope? Would it apply to adding on a third sled?
I don't use rope on any of my machine towed sleds.  Period!   Big Grin

My go to connection is the Shappell JSH or JSH-HD tow bars.  Makes the towed sled always track true.

JSH Tow Bar  $32.95

JSH - HD Tow Bar  $47.99
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(11-20-2020, 04:38 PM)BURLEY Wrote: I know that there are several Snowdog owners on this forum and I would like your opinions on how is the best way to link cargo sleds behind the Snowdog sled. I am concerned about them sliding out of control while going down ramps and banks. It would not be good to have them pass me on the way down the ramp. Do you use a solid(ie. conduit) v shape hitch or just use rope? Would it apply to adding on a third sled?
I use a tow bar like the ones that Bob posted a link to but I built mine out of metal conduit for a fraction of the price of buying one prebuilt. I use mine on a ATV but the the connection could be easily modified to be used on a snowdog.
I will be going with the rigid hitch and save my rope for horse thieves or jump-rope. Thanks for the input.
I really like the snow dog sleds. They have a metal frame with a hitch loop on the back, built for linking. If fact, I got 2 when I bought it and went back and got a third. I run 3 Snow dog sleds and either a jet sled or a clam flip on the back, which is connected by rope via a clevis. I’ve never had a problem with the rope in towing, but I think it would be an issue if it wasn’t the last sled or there were multiple with rope. A Smitty or another sled that was really slick may crash into the sled in front of it, but a jet sled or tub with hyfax runners doesn’t seem to do that- unless on glare ice. Then you gotta be careful no matter what. Another thing to mention, the snow dog sleds are a pain to pull by hand. It’s really nice to have one sled that is mobile. My son usually puts his gear in the jet sled so he can move away and hole hop.
Here is what I have. Made my own hitch for the jetsled out of bedrails and some parts from an old kids' swing. Sled attachment areas have been reinforced with bedrail also.
[Image: IMG-1242.jpg][Image: IMG-1228.jpg]

[/url][Image: IMG-1240.jpg]

[url=https://ibb.co/TThx0t7][Image: IMG-1244.jpg]

I haven't decided yet on making a stiff hitch for the little sled since it will seldom be used.
Don't have a snowdog but lots of experience pulling multiple sleds... DO NOT use ropes between unless you want headaches.. Down hills will kill you without a rigid tow bar.. I have the solid Clam tow bar and they take really good care of my gear, only problem is when I pull a rope sled on back it finds a way to tip over or ram all the other sleds... btw I'm up to 3 to 4 sleds in my train now days... Kent told me I was taking too much gear... I think he's right... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(11-23-2020, 05:57 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Kent told me I was taking too much gear... I think he's right...

Wow, that is my high point of the day!  Not often I am right about anything.
(11-23-2020, 06:01 PM)kentofnsl Wrote:
(11-23-2020, 05:57 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Kent told me I was taking too much gear... I think he's right...

Wow, that is my high point of the day!  Not often I am right about anything.
I think after my first trip I'll really be admitting it... Guess it will depend on snow and ice conditions whether I can pull it or not... Not likely I'll take all the gear on each trip, most likely I'll still gear up for what is needed, on my Cutler trips it's usually my jet sled or a bucket and on the overnight two day trips then I'll probably take the sleeper and the nanook to fish out of, plus the smitty gear sled to take the auger, rod boxes and heater... Will be nice to have options, just hope I don't get stranded with too much gear on the ice... Hate to have to pull it back by hand, especially in a wet slushy condition day... I probably ought to trade up to a better snowmobile that I dare trust a little more, but not this year... unless it dies on me... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!