Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hard Water in Southern Utah
Just an heads up for those headed to Southern Utah. From about Cedar City north, most of the lakes have ice on them. With the exception of only a couple, most are capped over. Pretty much if it's above 6500 feet it's capped. Even though they have ice it's not thick enough to walk on many of them, so use caution! Stay safe and tine lines everyone.
Thanks for the report. When you know more specifics please let us know. Does that apply to Fish Lake too?
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(11-30-2020, 10:04 PM)catchinon Wrote: Thanks for the report. When you know more specifics please let us know. Does that apply to Fish Lake too?

While I have not seen it mysely, I am willing to bet Fishlake is a long way off. Its seems to be one of the last to hard deck
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
I haven't made it over to Fish Lake recently, but when I saw a picture from about a week before Thanksgiving there was ice around the edges from about 5 to 10 feet out.
(12-01-2020, 02:34 PM)Big Sky Wrote: I haven't made it over to Fish Lake recently, but when I saw a picture from about a week before Thanksgiving there was ice around the edges from about 5 to 10 feet out.

OH!  It must be close!!
(12-01-2020, 03:18 PM)PBH Wrote:
(12-01-2020, 02:34 PM)Big Sky Wrote: I haven't made it over to Fish Lake recently, but when I saw a picture from about a week before Thanksgiving there was ice around the edges from about 5 to 10 feet out.

OH!  It must be close!!
I'd give it at least another week at Fish Lake. And don't even think of ice fishing at Lake Powell before the New Year  Big Grin
another week? But it's been so cold lately!!

Maybe Hite is close to freezing!
I was up that way this passed weekend. Navajo had ice building at damn. Panguitch starting to form ice but only about 15% of lake at south end. Otter no ice. Mill Meadows and Forsyth reservoir capping but still a few weeks a way from safe ice. Wind holding things up. Fishlake wont be fishable til January like usual.
(12-02-2020, 04:12 PM)taggmon54 Wrote:  Fishlake wont be fishable til January like usual.

January?!
(12-02-2020, 06:46 PM)PBH Wrote:
(12-02-2020, 04:12 PM)taggmon54 Wrote:  Fishlake wont be fishable til January like usual.

January?!
Usually after first of the year. South end freezes first.

Last year was on it Jan 11th at south end. Temps this year not as cold so far. Otter usually ice first in mid Dec then fish lake . Temps need to get a lot colder here soon for that deep lake to freeze
Please let me know when Lake Powell has good ice. Can’t wait to jig up some stripers through the ice. Thanks in advance
(12-02-2020, 07:09 PM)taggmon54 Wrote:
Last year was on it Jan 11th at south end. Temps this year not as cold so far. Otter usually ice first in mid Dec then fish lake . Temps need to get a lot colder here soon for that deep lake to freeze

But that high elevation should certainly be colder.  It's got to be close.  Anyone gone up to check?
I was up there this past weekend. Not cold enough yet for it to cap. Last year did not cap til after the 1st. Need single digits at night and 20s at least during the day. Otter creek will freeze before Fishlake and it has not started yet. Its higher elevation yes but it's very deep and the wind keeps it from capping til the water temps go way down. 2018 it was not fishable til the second week of January and that was the south end only.
crossing my fingers and holding my breath for Fish Lake to freeze before Christmas....
You'll get cramps in your fingers and turn blue. Course you already know that. Not your first rodeo.
I can't wait!!! Let's go dump ice cubes in it to help it get goin!!
Otter Creek has an inch