Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice Challenge Chat
How about a spot to report ice conditions, talk about techniques and plans and invites to join on the ice?  Cat chat has been interesting over the years, maybe Ice chat will work too... Since ice challenge is more an individual contest there may not be as much banter, but here's a spot for those off the wall comments without having to start a separate post.. Have fun with it... Later Jeff

So I'm not seeing any entries in the contest yet, but have heard a lot of folks catching fish on the ice lately... I hear Scofield fished pretty well last weekend and scattered reports of lots of other areas being fished so far... I'm at about 1.5" of ice on some back sloughs off of Cutler, it cracks so much that I just don't dare stay on to fish yet, but it's getting close, maybe today after work... I hear the next two nights are supposed to get really cold, so hopefully I can try some panfish soon... Good luck all... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Good idea Jeff. Especially for us first Ice chasers. I will start with an invite to Chesterfield tomorrow. Short notice but I will be there just off the boat launch. I should get the panning device I ordered today, so I'm anxious to try my new camera.
Jeff, Randy,  Here is the list of folks signed up so far. Lance posted it out on the main board.  
But no one has created a personal contest thread yet. 

Kentofnsl
Hookngrinin
Cowboypirate
Cookie
Jig-Fisher
Skunkedagain
Fritzfishn
Justawormguy
Catchinon
2knots
joatmon
Jarner
bblake98
F15Hwishperer
DJHill16

2 more added since these

ofishal_chris
ChalkCreekUT. 
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Jeff, you may have scared some people by talking about walking around on 1.5 inches of ice. You may want to explain that water is less than two feet deep, or whatever it is. Don't want anybody trying that at, say, Mantua.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(12-02-2020, 10:24 PM)catchinon Wrote: Jeff, you may have scared some people by talking about walking around on 1.5 inches of ice. You may want to explain that water is less than two feet deep, or whatever it is. Don't want anybody trying that at, say, Mantua.
Good point Craig, yes I'm not quite as crazy as it sounded, I was on water less than knee boot deep checking the ice.  When I got close to deeper water the ice was already cracking and when it cracks I go the other direction... I'm an ice chicken as my Dad says... and chickens don't swim well so trying to keep my feathers dry...  BTW the ice is now at least 3" thick in the shaded areas and holding strong with no cracking, but there are spots where the muskrats are active underneath and those passage ways have much thinner ice so there are so many variables that can cause you to take a swim, make sure you have your spud bar active this time of year to make sure you know how thick it is... Since the ice is glass clear, I can see the air bubbles frozen down through the ice layers and you can kind of tell how thick the ice is by sight, but don't trust it completely, I've seen spots that I thought was good and they started cracking on me... One other point, I'm never very far from shore on this thin ice stuff, it needs to be safe before I venture out to where the fish will be, but as cold as last night was, I might be able to try after work tonight... I'm hoping so anyway... Later Jeff

(12-02-2020, 10:02 PM)Tin-Can Wrote: Jeff, Randy,  Here is the list of folks signed up so far. Lance posted it out on the main board.  
But no one has created a personal contest thread yet. 

Kentofnsl
Hookngrinin
Cowboypirate
Cookie
Jig-Fisher
Skunkedagain
Fritzfishn
Justawormguy
Catchinon
2knots
joatmon
Jarner
bblake98
F15Hwishperer
DJHill16

2 more added since these

ofishal_chris
ChalkCreekUT. 
Thanks Forest, good idea to get a record on the contest board... J

(12-01-2020, 04:03 PM)fast_randy Wrote: Good idea Jeff. Especially for us first Ice chasers. I will start with an invite to Chesterfield tomorrow. Short notice but I will be there just off the boat launch. I should get the panning device I ordered today, so I'm anxious to try my new camera.
Randy, How did the trip turn out... I was sooooo jealous yesterday for you on the ice at Chesterfield and the big group over to Bear Lake after the whitefish and I was stuck at this computer keeping the free world free....  so hoping you posted something, I'm heading to the Idaho board after this one to check... Hope you had a great trip... Later Jeff
OK all you Ice Fishing Contest folks.  
  Here is the start of the standings sheet.  Like with the Cat Contest, as you post ice contest fish, if I am first one to see them, I will note as PENDING, and wait for Cowboypirate, or Cookie, to confirm them. 
Once they are confirmed, I will get them POSTED to the standings sheet in the Ice Challenge Standings thread. 

Ya'll may want to go ahead and get your personal contest threads started. See the sample thread header I just posted there. 

I'm not competing, but I think I have a bit more free time than Cowboypirate or Cookie does, so will attempt to assist them in the scoring and posting areas.  

This is pretty close to what the score sheet will look like. Lance is still doing some minor tweaks. 

[Image: 02-2020-2021-Utah-Ice-Challenge-test.jpg]

Cool
(12-03-2020, 06:32 PM)Tin-Can Wrote: OK all you Ice Fishing Contest folks.  
  Here is the start of the standings sheet.  Like with the Cat Contest, as you post ice contest fish, if I am first one to see them, I will note as PENDING, and wait for Cowboypirate, or Cookie, to confirm them. 
Once they are confirmed, I will get them POSTED to the standings sheet in the Ice Challenge Standings thread. 

Ya'll may want to go ahead and get your personal contest threads started. See the sample thread header I just posted there. 

I'm not competing, but I think I have a bit more free time than Cowboypirate or Cookie does, so will attempt to assist them in the scoring and posting areas.  

This is pretty close to what the score sheet will look like. Lance is still doing some minor tweaks. 

[Image: 02-2020-2021-Utah-Ice-Challenge-test.jpg]

Forest, you are awesome. It is going to be a busy winter for Cookie and I with a few health related challenges keeping us busy, so your offer to help was right timely. But never fear CBP and Cookie will be watching the contest board and hitting the ice ourselves (maybe just with our heads - but hitting it non the less)
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Forest, hopefully we'll get that nice day up on Mantua or Hyrum with the sun shining and safe ice and I'll have to talk you into coming out and joining me... Thinking that day sounds like a good day for cooking on the ice as we enjoy the ice fishing.. More on that when it gets closer to possible... Later Jeff
I forgot to look today, did Hyrum cap?  I had -1 F this morning so it’s cold in Cache Valley. In fact I think today’s high was 23 F So it should be making ice. Hopefully soon. Later Jeff
(12-03-2020, 07:55 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Forest, hopefully we'll get that nice day up on Mantua or Hyrum with the sun shining and safe ice and I'll have to talk you into coming out and joining me... Thinking that day sounds like a good day for cooking on the ice as we enjoy the ice fishing.. More on that when it gets closer to possible... Later Jeff

I think I'll pass on that, especially after Larry's adventure . Thanks.   Tongue

[Image: Ice-fishing-wrong.jpg]

Cool
Lots of good posts for Dec. Fun to see.

I have not seen anyone post a catch from out of state. That is a new part of the contest or anyone post about taking someone new out on the ice,also a new part of the contest. I hope we get a few of them to enjoy.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
I had some buddies fly in from north Dakota over the weekend and it was there first time ever ice fishing I took them to utah lake and they had a ball catching whitebass!

[Image: 37323.jpg]

urban peak
(12-29-2020, 06:54 PM)Fritzfishin Wrote: I had some buddies fly in from north Dakota over the weekend and it was there first time ever ice fishing I took them to utah lake and they had a ball catching whitebass!

[Image: 37323.jpg]

If you can get one of them to sign up for BFT you get a T-shirt. If you cant, the award is one of Tubedudes used wading socks

urban peak
Lance, how do we report that we have gotten someone introduced to ice fishing and signed up on BFT? Do they have to sign up for the contest too, or is that extra-credit?

On another note, have you considered having a youth category? My great-granddaughter wants to join but at age four she would have a hard time competing against adults. She's fiercely competitive and it would be fun if she could have a chance at winning something. Just a thought.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Craig. As to your two questions....

If you just make a post in your normal ice fishing posts and include a bit of info of who you took out and when they signed up to BFT, that should be sufficient. Since its a new area, I am sure we will make a few mistakes testing it, but it will be fun.

Now you have PEAKED my interest with your second question ( sorry could not resist)

Great idea for a youth category. Not sure if I dare launch it mid contest, but you get that girl out fishing and I will talk to Forest and the wiperslayer about it.
(12-30-2020, 07:43 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: Craig. As to your two questions....

If you just make a post in your normal ice fishing posts and include a bit of info of who you took out and when they signed up to BFT, that should be sufficient. Since its a new area, I am sure we will make a few mistakes testing it, but it will be fun.

Now you have PEAKED my interest with your second question ( sorry could not resist)

Great idea for a youth category. Not sure if I dare launch it mid contest, but you get that girl out fishing and I will talk to Forest and the wiperslayer about it.

"Great idea for a youth category. Not sure if I dare launch it mid contest, but you get that girl out fishing and I will talk to Forest and the wiperslayer   about it."  

Lance that's OK by me.  Adding a name to the score sheet is no problem. I can change font color to indicate a youth contestant, say, under 16  (like on the Catfish Contest).  
Someone that young will need assistance in creating a BFT profile and adding it to the Contest Thread.  Soon as I see a new name in the contest threads, I'll add to the score sheet.  

Cool
Exclamation 
Well today is the end of this season Ice Fishing Challenge.  It looks to me as if EyLayo has a pretty commanding lead, but that is NOT an official standings statement yet. 

I will post the final scores tomorrow in the standings thread, and pass all the  collected data back to the primary contest judge, Cowboypirate for his final look thru and winner statement.  

I'm unsure how the various contest prizes will be distributed, but that's up to Lance to work out with the winners.  

Lots of us ( well me, anyway) are coming out of hibernation and getting back on soft deck water. Hope to see Ya'll out and about this summer.   Cool 

Cool
Thanks Lance and Forest you guys did an excellent job of helping us have a blast on the ice this year... Thanks for all you've done.... Shawn, my hat's off to you for a phenomenal run this year congratulations... Ron, great strategy for a solid run this year as well, well done to you guys and the rest of you that were extremely tough competition this year... fun times... and lots of great fish iced .... See you on the cat side of things, or next fall on the ice again... Later Jeff
"Wooo Hooo here we go... Also ought to mention it's the last day to get your catches in for the ice challenge, have those entries on the board by tonight midnight... Good luck everyone... Later Jeff"  

Jeff posted this in the general fishing thread, I copied and posted here for all you Ice crawlers to see.  

Cool
(03-15-2021, 04:55 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Thanks Lance and Forest you guys did an excellent job of helping us have a blast on the ice this year... Thanks for all you've done....  Shawn, my hat's off to you for a phenomenal run this year congratulations...  Ron, great strategy for a solid run this year as well, well done to you guys and the rest of you that were extremely tough competition this year... fun times... and lots of great fish iced .... See you on the cat side of things, or next fall on the ice again... Later Jeff
Yes, thanks Lance and Forest for your efforts in moderating and keeping track of the Ice Challenge. As always, it is a lot of fun. Congrats to Shawn. That is truly an amazing collection of species through the ice in one season.