Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Ice Report 2020/2021
I fished AF Boat Harbor Saturday night from about 4 pm to 8:30. Ice was 2-3" thick on the shaded spots and in some open places, and a thick skim on the sunny side and right against the docks. Some kids fooling around, walking on the sketchy ice. One other angler. Banged holes in the ice and fished from docks.

I caught a handful of perch on medium-sized ice jigs and crawlers/perch bits. Funny enough, the WB were slow at first, and picked up to a steady, but not fast pace about sunset and I caught them well past dark on some larger, glowing jigs. Sonar Lure got me a few, too. I forgot how late it was and took home 24.
Craig, I stuck this so you don't have to keep bumping it to the top.... Hope this helps... if not let me know and I'll unstick it... Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Thanks Jeff. I wuz gunna ast ya ta dew thet butt ah kep plum fergittin ta.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Just checked Mantua, Ice is fractured near shore and still thin. Went out 100 feet to drill hole and got a measurement of 3 1/4 inches. Didn't venture out any farther.
Good fishing to all.   Hue
(12-01-2020, 03:20 PM)catchinon Wrote: Here we go again. I'm going to try to keep a journal of waters that are safe to ice fish. I intend to go to each lake each week to ascertain its fishableness--just kidding. I will be out and about and will report what I know directly but this list depends mostly on good accurate reports from everyone. I have done this for a couple of years now and my overriding concern has always been to ensure the safety of all out on the ice. I will usually not include a water that doesn't have 4" of ice. This is widely accepted as the safe minimum. Let's not have a big argument about this--drowning can really put a damper on a fishing outing. What I'm trying to say is that I, personally, won't give a GO to a place that doesn't measure up. I try very hard to be objective and try not to make recommendations but instead simply report what I read or hear. It's hard not to want to include notes on the quality of the fishing or methods used, etc. but that's not the purpose of the list. I strongly encourage everyone to make regular fishing reports on this board.

Note: PLEASE alert me if anything I have reported is inaccurate or wrong. I love to be corrected (gently) because I like to be right. And in this case it could be very serious. Further, no one should trust anyone else's report of safe ice. It is your respnsibility to check as you go. A spud bar is a great investment for doing this. 

December 1
+ People are fishing on Scofield, Huntington (Mammoth), and Cleveland. Some of these lakes aren't all capped over nor do I have a verified report on ice thickness. These lakes should be considered marginal at this time. Exercise extreme caution when appoaching these spots. I do know that on November 28 there was a lot of open water at Scofield and only about 2 scant inches at the docks at Madsen Bay. People were fishing off the docks and on the dam arm. People were still shore fishing the open water on the east side of Madsen.
+ I suspect that many of the lakes in the High Uintas are fishable but have heard nothing specific. Nor do I know what access is like. Please report in if you know.

December 4
+ 8" at Huntington (Mammoth).
+ More people are fishing the dam arm at Scofield. This is the only area there that is known to have enough (you check) ice to fish on until further reports come in.
+ Mantua is a no-go with barely 2" of ice. Maybe next weekend.

December 5
+ 6-7" at Madsen Bay and the dam arm at Scofield. You still need to exercise caution as the ice is probably thinner farther out. Check as you go: you know the drill (pun intended).
+ 6-7" at Mill Hollow.

December 7
+ "Drove up to Mantua around noon today (Sunday) to see just what the pond looked like. It is mostly iced over. Maybe 20 people still fishing, some as far out as most go during mid winter. Talked to a few guys that said the ice was about 5 inches deep out a hundred yards: but the hand he held up only looked like a thin 4 inches of ice. Anyway not too bad, but they said getting on and off is scary because the ice is all broke up and shattered."

December 8
+ "Just checked Mantua, Ice is fractured near shore and still thin. Went out 100 feet to drill hole and got a measurement of 3 1/4 inches." I'd give it a few more days to be safe.

checked Newton yesterday, some large open water spots . ice at the dam was 3 inches thick. I fished there a little but needs to go awhile at Newton.
People fishing echo yesterday and today. They reported very sketchy edges with about 3" where they drilled. They also said lots of thin areas to watchout for.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
There's 10in of good solid ice on Little creek(Randolph) reservoir. Planter bows are plentiful. 8in of good solid ice on Woodruff creek reservoir. Cuttys were biting anything green. You'll need cleats for sure as there's hardly any snow on each. Both are easily accessible right now. Next storm woodruff might require 4x4 with chains on the last north slope hill before the reservoir
(12-07-2020, 06:49 PM)catchinon Wrote: Bump to move this thread to the top.
I thought this had been marked as a sticky thread, so it will stay at the top regardless of traffic? It appears in a subsection labeled "Important Posts". If I am mistaken, thank you for keeping at the top.
I fished Utah Lake - Lindon Marina Dec. 17. There is a large area of open water near the inlet to the marina with a few inches of rotten looking ice in the marina. Fishing is primarily done from the docks although I did notice someone had drilled holes out about 30 feet from the docks. Catching white bass was fast and furious until about 1 pm. I packed it in at 2 pm.
3" or so on grantsville, settlement was completely frozen, didn't go punch a hole but im sure it's similar to grantsville
Put in a half day at Causey today and got a few small trout in shallow water, no Kokanee though. Ice was 5-8". Saw a couple other parties, couldn't tell if they were catching anything or not, but did noticed that they moved spots frequently.
Took the kids up to little creek reservoir again for a day of planter bows and they had they're fill. Between the 3 families that went we had around 50 fish by the time we left. Wasn't surprised to see 4 other groups there for a Saturday. Ice is 12in and the water is rising. Fished in 12fow. You can drive right to the ice. Only a couple inches of snow.

[Image: 20201219-114334.jpg]

type russian online
Was at Willard Bay North Marina on Friday 12/18 - maybe 2" of ice, water levels are way down compared to last winter.

jack of all tackle, master of none
(12-18-2020, 11:58 PM)gdub555 Wrote: Put in a half day at Causey today and got a few small trout in shallow water, no Kokanee though. Ice was 5-8". Saw a couple other parties, couldn't tell if they were catching anything or not, but did noticed that they moved spots frequently.
Welcome to the site gdub, thanks for the info on Causey, was there any gap between the shore and solid ice?
(12-20-2020, 06:06 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Welcome to the site gdub, thanks for the info on Causey, was there any gap between the shore and solid ice?

No gap Thurs night accessing by the dam. First step was a little soft, but no real problem and no plank necessary. Scout arm still had lots of open water.
(12-21-2020, 02:36 AM)EyLayo Wrote:
(12-20-2020, 06:06 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Welcome to the site gdub, thanks for the info on Causey, was there any gap between the shore and solid ice?

No gap Thurs night accessing by the dam. First step was a little soft, but no real problem and no plank necessary. Scout arm still had lots of open water.
Thanks Eylayo, guess we will give it a try tomorrow and how it is. Were you catching small trout too?
Ya got a bakers dozen of the small ones, and 2 bows that were near 20”. Unfortunately didn’t get to hunt for the kokes. Only had an hour to fish after I got off work. Good luck tomorrow.
Thanks gdub555 & EyLayo might have to get up there. Be waiting for Curts report
grantsville res, has 2-3 inches so far. ive been on it 2 days now, friday i was the only one, sunday night there was maybe 10 others out there.
I didn't see Newton listed here, but there is about 6" on the south side near the shade... Seen lots of others scattered in the sunny spots on Saturday, so must be enough... it was pretty slushy Friday and Saturday, but hopefully the cold will tighten that surface up so it won't be such a mess... Fish are still small but it's an alternative to Mantua crowds and sketchy ice... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!