Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Ice Report 2020/2021
(12-21-2020, 04:58 AM)Muskyon46 Wrote: Thanks gdub555 & EyLayo might have to get up there. Be waiting for Curts report
got up to Causey today, fished from 8am to noon. Ice was 7" but the edges are a bit soft. Only caught trout all were bows except one cutt.
(12-22-2020, 12:50 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(12-21-2020, 04:58 AM)Muskyon46 Wrote: Thanks gdub555 & EyLayo might have to get up there. Be waiting for Curts report
got up to Causey today, fished from 8am to noon. Ice was 7" but the edges are a bit soft. Only caught trout all were bows except one cutt.

Thanks curt. Planning to give it a try tomorrow or Wednesday
(12-22-2020, 03:44 AM)Muskyon46 Wrote:
(12-22-2020, 12:50 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

Thanks curt. Planning to give it a try tomorrow or Wednesday
Little snow on the hill going down to the ice, so expect to drag your sled over the rocks.
Didn't make it up to causey as my gout flared up and I had to go to a place I could walk out much easier. Took a chance with the low amounts of snow on the ground and tried woodruff creek reservoir. Was able to drive right to the ice and fished from 10-3 with only 7 cuts caught. Very slow fishing but it was a beautiful day to be out. Pretty much had the whole place to our selves. There's about 12in of good solid ice with a couple of inches of snow in it
(12-26-2020, 06:11 PM)Muskyon46 Wrote: Didn't make it up to causey as my gout flared up and I had to go to a place I could walk out much easier. Took a chance with the low amounts of snow on the ground and tried woodruff creek reservoir. Was able to drive right to the ice and fished from 10-3 with only 7 cuts caught. Very slow fishing but it was a beautiful day to be out. Pretty much had the whole place to our selves. There's about 12in of good solid ice with a couple of inches of snow in it
Were you able to drive over the top and down to the ice or did you park on top and walk down to the ice?
(12-26-2020, 08:35 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(12-26-2020, 06:11 PM)Muskyon46 Wrote: Didn't make it up to causey as my gout flared up and I had to go to a place I could walk out much easier. Took a chance with the low amounts of snow on the ground and tried woodruff creek reservoir. Was able to drive right to the ice and fished from 10-3 with only 7 cuts caught. Very slow fishing but it was a beautiful day to be out. Pretty much had the whole place to our selves. There's about 12in of good solid ice with a couple of inches of snow in it
Were you able to drive over the top and down to the ice or did you park on top and walk down to the ice?

Drove right to the ice. From the top down to the ice had snow on it and not to slick but I still highly recommend a 4X4 down to the ice. Not a lot of parking down there as the water is high and rising like little creek has been. The north slope hill up to the parking lot was snow covered as expected and also not to slick yet.
I took a drive up to hyrum today to check it out talked with the dwr he said it still had open water on Xmas but it is frozze over now but only 2 1/2 to 3 inches at the boat ramp
(12-27-2020, 08:28 PM)bub man Wrote: I took a drive up to hyrum today to check it out talked with the dwr he said it still had open water on Xmas but it is frozze over now but only 2 1/2 to 3 inches at the boat ramp
Thanks for the report on the ice conditions at Hyrum and welcome to the site. Did you try fishing Hyrum? If so, did you have any luck?
I didn't fish a little thin for me
ice on the main lake outside the marinas at Utah lake is definitely not safe yet! 2-1"
While playing Diablo, I've learned that nothing will help you better than items. My mom likes games where she can collect items, she thinks items are the coolest option in any game. Only items, items, items. Buy diablo 2 items because when mum says it must be like that!
Buy diablo 2 items to keep you happy and resourceful in life. Items!

https://odealo.com/games/project-diablo-2/items 
Thanks for the timely reminder. I think we all become a little lax at this time of the season because we assume that everything is frozen up solid. That it isn't was brought forcefully to mind for me when I drove past Deer Creek the other day. It looked like other waters do in early December with lots of open water and weak spots throughout most of the ice that has formed. And don't forget that places like Mantua and Joe's Valley have random spots scattered around that are weak or open.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Seen some pictures of Willard north marina yesterday that looked really sketchy... Don't know if anyone has measured it lately, but report was no one fishing it and it looked like it was opening up more... Better check if you try there... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Thanks for the heads-up Jeff. Joatmon fished there yesterday and he said the ice is getting milky but he still felt marginally safe on it. I hate the downslope side of the ice season and especially that it is already starting. It's hard to keep up with deteriorating conditions and I worry that someone will find unsafe ice the hard way. Never have gotten a boot full of ice water from soft edges yet and I still have my plank ready to go, but puhlease let it be a long way off for those days to arrive. Add cold weather to your prayers for more snowpack.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Deer Creek - Picked something up at Heber today and drove by DC.  Saw four groups of anglers fishing by the island.  Rainbow Bay is capped also. but didn't see any angler tracks.  Back of Walsburg is also frozen.  Saw tracks of somebody who made it to the other side of Walsburg.  Didn't stop to check for ice thickness.  Main marina boat ramp is still open water.
Anything still good, solid and easy to access? I'm a big guy without much balance who doesn't want to fall through..
Most of the higher lakes are still good. The thing to watch out for is the edges; if you can get on without filling your boots you're probably good. I know that Scofield and Strawberry are still good to go. With spring fishing here now I probably won't be giving much attention to what is happening with this end of the ice situation. But you have plenty of places and time to go, so good luck and have fun. If you have a couple of places you are particularly interested in make a post to the board and ask how they are looking. Be sure to add a question mark so people will know you want information as opposed to making a report.

(03-10-2021, 08:36 PM)catchinon Wrote: Most of the higher lakes are still good. The thing to watch out for is the edges; if you can get on without filling your boots you're probably good. I know that Scofield and Strawberry are still good to go. With spring fishing here now I probably won't be giving much attention to what is happening with this end of the ice situation. But you have plenty of places and time to go, so good luck and have fun. If you have a couple of places you are particularly interested in make a post to the board and ask how they are looking. Be sure to add a question mark so people will know you want information as opposed to making a report.
I drove up to check out the ice at Mantua today.  There wasn't a single person on the ice.  I walked down on the ice and the edges are solid with no water showing anywhere along the boat ramp beach.  I will be fishing it tomorrow with the SnowDog and a friend.  I expect the ice to be at least a foot thick when I drill tomorrow. I'll let ya know tomorrow how it went. Big Grin
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."