Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cisco Disco Advice Needed
For the past 4 years, I have always told myself I was going to make it up to bear lake for their Cisco event. This year I finally scheduled the time off and will be there! Having never fished for these little guys before, what tactics/equipment should I look at getting? I have waders, but imagine I will need a big net? How does one entice the fish into the net?

As always, any advice is greatly appreciated!
I think you are aloud a certain size net and a certain size pole. You need to look up the proclamation rules.
I’ve done better with a small gold kastmaster vertical jigging, more fun too.
Last year I think it was BearLakeFishGuy that posted the best approach I've seen about keeping low and quiet at daylight and letting the fish come into you... This is the cisco beach technique without crowds of people around... when there is a crowd, try to find a spot not too crowded and you can jig a flashy spoon that will attract the fish, then dip net them, but I think the keep low and quiet is a great tip.... Check Sportsman's Warehouse, Als Sporting Goods and Anglers Den for Cisco nets... I know they carry them, but might not have them in yet... You'll need the small mesh size to keep the fish in the net... I use a metal net myself, it sheds the water better than a fabric net that will soak up water and then freeze in the sub-freezing temps that we usually have during the run... Anyway, that's how the majority of land lock anglers fish for them... my favorite way is jigging them from a boat above them... We have found them off Cisco beach, at the state park marina, off the rock pile and off the pump house where they seem to congregate prior to making a run to the shallows to spawn.. Snagging is legal for cisco, so I use a Kastmaster that is heavy to get me down, plus has a larger treble hook... Then I just jig a little larger swoops, but when you snag a cisco you get to fight it to the surface and at 20 fish you can have a lot of fun if they are under you... plus you get occasional trout that take your lure and get to catch them too... It's crazy, but I love to fish for those little fellers, even though they mostly end up being bait for bigger fish, they are still fun to catch and deep frying a few is a once a year treat... I wouldn't want to eat them more often than that, but that's just me.... Hope there is something here that will help you out... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
That is very helpful advice thank you! I might have access to a small canoe, but would that be too dangerous/too much work in the freezing temps? Do you use a fish finder to locate the schools, or are they pretty much everywhere?

Thanks again!
(12-01-2020, 06:20 PM)Jonthecook Wrote: That is very helpful advice thank you! I might have access to a small canoe, but would that be too dangerous/too much work in the freezing temps? Do you use a fish finder to locate the schools, or are they pretty much everywhere?

Thanks again!

I believe a small canoe would be too dangerous for netting or snagging cisco.  The water is either frozen or close to freezing temperatures in January, when the cisco spawn.  Ideally, the lake is frozen enough that one can stand on the ice and net them through a large hole in the ice.  Netting is done in really shallow water so one visually sees the cisco and nets them.  Netting works where there is a rocky shoreline (Cisco Beach and the Utah State Marina are the most popular areas).  If one is snagging them (in deeper water) a fish finder is helpful in locating a school.
Keep in mind there are many other fun activities besides the fishing.  You need to get organized and plan out the activities.

This is what was available to do 2 years ago. 

Friday night they had a Karaoke contest & silent auction - with free Hot Chocolate and Doughnuts. Lots of fun for the kids.

Saturday Morning 0600 - Fishing for the Cisco. For success Must be there in the water at first light. 7:00 am.  Usually by 10:00 - 11:00 the crowds have scared the fish away.

11:00 - 12:00 - Chili Cook off - at the Marina
1:00 PM - Lake Monster Polar Plunge - that's where you strip down and jump in the water for a good cause. 

1:30 - Then you head up the canyon to Beaver Mountain - and they have a bunch more activities.  Sledding/Tubing - Test drive Snowmobiles - Test ride the big Fat Tire Bikes in the Snow - Cross Country Skiing.  All provided for Free by the Resort. 

Best to follow their  Facebook Page to get an idea of what activities will be available because they are different every year.   

Lots of fun activities and not enough daylight to do everything.  It took us 3 years to figure out what we were missing out on and how to do the Cisco Disco right.

Or you can just try and fish for 2 days in the cold and that's okay too.
(12-01-2020, 06:20 PM)Jonthecook Wrote: That is very helpful advice thank you! I might have access to a small canoe, but would that be too dangerous/too much work in the freezing temps? Do you use a fish finder to locate the schools, or are they pretty much everywhere?

Thanks again!
I agree with Kent, a canoe would be a little dicey, however, like Kent also mentioned if Bear Lake is going to freeze, it usually happens around cisco time, now there has been very little ice the last couple years, so maybe this year will be a back to ice year... I sure hope so, it's the most fun, but don't happen very often anymore...  Using the fish finder does help, at least you know when to jig actively so you don't wear out jigging while there isn't anything under you...  Fish come through in waves, they don't always stay under you they move and usually hang close to the bottom, so if jigging, do it just off bottom...  Good luck.. Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Two people saying a canoe is dangerous is enough for me! I'll stick to the shore this year. While spending 2-3 days straight fishing sounds like a perfect dream to me, I will have my family up there this year, so we have already looked at the other activities. The plan is to tube and do the karaoke activities on Friday, fish Saturday morning, and then run the charity 5K. I'm mostly excited to try and check the cisco off of my Utah fish list though!
(12-01-2020, 04:20 PM)Jonthecook Wrote: For the past 4 years, I have always told myself I was going to make it up to bear lake for their Cisco event. This year I finally scheduled the time off and will be there! Having never fished for these little guys before, what tactics/equipment should I look at getting? I have waders, but imagine I will need a big net? How does one entice the fish into the net?

As always, any advice is greatly appreciated!
Yes, the Cisco Disco will still be held.  It will be Jan 23, 2021 at Cisco Beach.  However, the event has morphed (in a good way) into the Bear Lake Monster Winterfest.  It begins on Friday evening (please come up and join the festivities (mostly free) and then stay overnight.  Friday is the big kick-off social and also the "Taste Of Bear Lake".  Last year this was a knock-out hit and for $10, you can try several different specialites from local restaurants.  The Cisco Disco is first thing Saturday morning at Cisco Beach followed by the polar plunge, chili cook off, lots of raffle prizes, costume contest, etc.  Here is a link for all the activities and times:  
[/url][url=https://bearlakemonsterwinterfest.com/]Home - Bear Lake Monster Winterfest
Please make a donation to the Family Place when you come over to the State Park marina for the polar plunge (even if you aren't jumping in!).  If you are jumping, I would pre-register online at the link above.  You get an awesome hoodie sweat shirt for doing so!  Also, if you have kids, enter the "biggest cisco contest".  It will be epic and a great time. 

As far as nets go.  Sportsmans Warehouse, AL's, the local ACE Hardware in Garden City or perhaps others should have them.  It has to be a HAND HELD dipnet with a diameter of 18" or less.  No cast nets, etc.  Longer handles = better.  Some people add on to the standard 6-7' handle and others buy nets with telescoping handles up t 12' long.  I'll post more suggestions as we get closer to the date.  Hope to see you all there!