Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wiper ice fishing..
Howdy everyone! Just wondering if anyone has ever fished wiper through the ice. A buddy of mine got into them this spring at Jordanelle and I'd like to try and go find them when the hard water hits. Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated.  Thanks!
I think you'll have a lot of interest if anyone has much info on this topic... They are really hard to find at Willard and haven't seen many reports of folks catching them through the ice, but then again maybe this is one of those hush topics... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
i can tell ya, i lived on Minersville res, caught a ton of wiper i mean like... a lot!! and all open water, i went during ice time for about 25 days every single day regardless of weather... tried everything i could drop down a hole and never caught one... i think they disappear into caves or something like big bucks during October, hope this helps.
Like catfish, wipers don't stop feeding beneath the ice.  But they do slow down a bit.  The hardest part is trying to figure out where they might be...and at what depth...and then presenting something they will munch.

The current low population of wipers in Willard makes it tougher to find and catch them there.  But several years ago...over on the west side...in deeper water...there were a few guys who did well.  The soaked mussels or minnows right on the bottom...propping up their rods with the bails open on their reels to allow the fish to swim off a ways with the bait.  Of course they also caught some silly catfish but they did hook up with some wipers too.  However, they quickly learned not to fish too close together because those fish make big wide turns under the ice and get all of your neighbors involved.

Here is an except...with a picture...from my CD/Book on Willard.
Thanks Pat, I remember one year we had a wiper get entered in our ice challenge, but I think more time has been spent chasing them than has been found productive.... When you think of the distance you have to troll to find a wiper, it really helps you understand how tough finding them through an ice hole is going to be... Although I've got to admit that it's one of my bucket list fish to catch through the ice... Hopefully some year I'll get a chance to do it... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
If Willard freezes this year i may give it a try..thank you all for sharing you experience and advice with me..