Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
utah lake 10-28-2020
went to saratoga spring park marina/ pelican bay marina last saturday was greeted by about half a inch of ice first thing in the morning, nothing a couple big rocks couldnt punch through, by noon it was pretty much gone
anyways! the fishing was slower than i expected then again first time there in several months... moving has been chaotic, ended up with about a dozen whitebass maybe 30 perch 1 crappie and the guy next to me even got a few gills, kept a few of the perch whitebass and the crappie for tacos that night with the fam it was delicious, all caught on a 1.5" cutterbug in a custom firetiger color i had made up last year, glad i got about 100 of um! anyways! hopefully we get ice soon and can get this ice fishing contest going! rented a cabin at fish lake for the weekend of february 25-28 so hopefully i can find a tanker of a laker!

[Image: 20201128-174733.jpg]

[Image: 20201128-124321.jpg]

[Image: 20201128-120959.jpg]
Good to see ya keeping the line wet while ya wait for that hard deck. Have you rented a cabin at FL before. I have not and have been thinking about it
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(12-03-2020, 01:02 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote: Good to see ya keeping the line wet while ya wait for that hard deck. Have you rented a cabin at FL before. I have not and have been thinking about it

Yes I usually rent a cabin 3 or 4 times a year,  I pretty much just target perch but accidently catch trout alot
What bait were you using? You going to enter those in the contest? BTW, where'd ya move to?
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

All on a 1.5" cuttetbug in a custom green color, id enter them but even tho I was fishing through the ice I don't know if I had to be standing on it vs dock/shore ice fishing? I'm in grantsville now
Just to clarify, were you fishing the cutterbugs alone or did you add a worm or other bait?
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(12-04-2020, 05:34 PM)Fritzfishin Wrote: All on a 1.5" cuttetbug in a custom green color,  id enter them but even tho I was fishing through the ice I don't know if I had to be standing on it vs dock/shore ice fishing? I'm in grantsville now

That's a nice looking batch of future fish tacos  Big Grin .  And the actual tacos look petty yummmy too. 

Not sure if standing on the dock after breaking thru the ice with a big rock  counts, that would be a decision for the contest moderator to make, but did you measure any of those ?  (if not, they couldn't be scored)  Some of the WB look to be better than average size. 

"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Ya some were decent, I didn't measure or care to enter any of them, and no I didn't tip my jig at all
To be honest, I am not sure if tradition was to count fish from the docks, through the ice - Jeff (others) did you count them?

I would not have a problem counting it as ice fishing for the contest.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
As a dock/rock fisherman when its to thin id vote it counts only when your fishing actually on the ice but thats just my vote!
I'd vote for yes. If you have to make a hole in the ice to fish through it's ice fishing in my book. We were allowed to do it last year. Can't see any advantage to limiting anglers by banning it.

I definitely do it, the only reason I'd vote against it is for a safety standpoint of almost encouraging trying to fish through unsafe ice I suppose.
If it was allowed last year then we will this year too. But point taken on safety. Not sure what it is about ice that makes us lose our safety brain.
(12-06-2020, 08:04 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: To be honest,  I am not sure if tradition was to count fish from the docks, through the ice - Jeff (others) did you count them?

I would not have a problem counting it as ice fishing for the contest.
Yes. Ice fishing from a dock through thin ice counts for the Challenge. In the past, it was considered ice fishing and acceptable for the Challenge as long as you caught the fish through a hole made in the ice. You could be standing on a boat dock or fishing pier. It seems like we get entries every year of white bass caught from the docks through thin ice at Utah Lake. This year, Joatmon has posted fish caught from the docks at Scofield Res.