Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice-fishing snowmobile
My brother has been trying to find a decent sled for ice-fishing and I've been helping. He thought he had gotten a new Expedition but dealers evidently have a hard time keeping track of their inventory as not really having what they advertized has happened several times during our quest. We want a utility sled such as a Skandic, Expedition, Bearcat, etc. He can go fairly high in price but my wife has set my limit at $1500 (or after she gets her trip to Paris). Requirements include: long and/or wide track and 2-up seating. We might consider touring/trail models. 

In lieu of the above I might want to buy something I can get by on until a good one comes along. Can anybody point me to models that might work better than others? I really have no idea what type might work. Please name names of models if you can. Also knowing what not to get would be good. Thanks in advance for any info you can share.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Don't count out the polaris touring models. Been running strong on mine for quite a few years now. If I do ever upgrade it will be a wide track with the high low gear for sure. Just hard to stomach that $$ on a good one and they weigh a bit more.

[Image: 20170908-105237.jpg]

[url=https://freeonlinedice.com/][/url]
I really like how my Skandic handles in the slush.
Yes, Kent, that's a top choice. I'd pay a finder's fee to anyone who can put us on one we can buy.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Craig, I guess I'm an old sled head, but I sure like either a Polaris 700 RMK (97 to 03) Usually sell around a grand each, this motor was a great thing to come to snowmobiles, it didn't have to be wrapped out to produce power, so you could start moving at low engine RPM and keep from spinning in, plus they have more torque than you'll ever need and with a longer track and big paddles they will get you anywhere you need to go for ice fishing... Only issue will be keeping enough snow on the hyfax on bare ice... will need scratchers to splash snow on them... Also you'll need to respect the power the machine has and be careful until you learn what you're doing on a sled... This year doesn't have reverse so you either need a drive on, drive off trailer or lift it around, but they are way lighter than those utility sleds... Plus if worse came to worse, I've seen this sled drive across water without sinking, does take some driver skill and technique, but for those days when the shore gap is there, you can still cross the gap and go fish if you can get your gear there.. My other like to have sled is a Ski Doo Summit about the same age... They are a little tough to pull start, but a great sled, with a bullet proof engine... Been selling about the same price, but these are great sleds, but take a little learning to become confident in them... You rode my Summit at Strawberry on one of the worst days I've been on the slush and ice, and there isn't anyway the utility sleds would have gotten off the ice that day, they just don't have what it takes for those nasty conditions... where a mountain sled does... Just my take, but I also like the sled for more than fishing too.. Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(12-03-2020, 03:27 AM)catchinon Wrote: Yes, Kent, that's a top choice. I'd pay a finder's fee to anyone who can put us on one we can buy.

I may sell mine one of these days, but not sure exactly when.
Thanks Jeff, that's what I was looking for. The mountain sleds have a lot of power/torque. Is that a good or bad thing? I can just imagine the thing burying itself in the slush with that much power.

(12-02-2020, 10:42 PM)catchinon Wrote: My brother has been trying to find a decent sled for ice-fishing and I've been helping. He thought he had gotten a new Expedition but dealers evidently have a hard time keeping track of their inventory as not really having what they advertized has happened several times during our quest. We want a utility sled such as a Skandic, Expedition, Bearcat, etc. He can go fairly high in price but my wife has set my limit at $1500 (or after she gets her trip to Paris). Requirements include: long and/or wide track and 2-up seating. We might consider touring/trail models. 

In lieu of the above I might want to buy something I can get by on until a good one comes along. Can anybody point me to models that might work better than others? I really have no idea what type might work. Please name names of models if you can. Also knowing what not to get would be good. Thanks in advance for any info you can share.
Just my 2 cents...I've owned a few sleds and I've only purchased them for ice fishing.  I'm not a recreational rider.  The first two I had taught me a lot of lessons.  The two-seater trail sled was way too big, way too heavy, and the paddles on the track were way too small (see, I don't even know what they are called officially).  Every time I took that machine off of a groomed trail I got stuck....so basically every single time I went ice fishing.  The second sled I bought was smaller, faster, lighter...but still had small paddles on the track.  Got stuck half as much but still enough to really dread wanting to take it out.
So 5-6 years ago I bought a Polaris RMK 800.  More of the powder, off-trail kind of machine.  Track was way more aggressive, larger paddles, etc.  I have NEVER been stuck with that machine.  And, finding a sled hitch for it was easy with easy install.  I can pull out my hut and/sled behind it through some of the deepest power or slush on the lake and not have any problems at all.
I have been told that it was overkill to buy the machine just for ice-fishing....but I don't regret it at all.  I guess if my son wanted to take it out and play it would work for that just as well as it works for me ice-fishing.  
I'm thinking of buying another for my son so he can go with me (although we have ridden two ppl on the sled many times), and during the summer I have seen over a dozen of them 2005+ in your price range.  A bit harder to find when the weather gets cold.
You wanna borrow the sled and take it out?  I'm good with that.  I'd rather it be used and not just sit there idle when I'm not using it.
When I bought mine it was $2,300.
Thanks so much, rgreenland, a very gracious offer. When we get a little snow I'll take you up on that. I sent you a pm.

Craig, it just takes a little practice to get used to how to take off so you won't spin in and with all the traction you most likely won't spin in enough to get stuck... If you do get stuck, you quickly learn what not to do next time... Your biggest worry is going to be keeping enough snow on the rails so they don't get too hot... which is only when you're on straight ice or really hard packed and crusted snow... Need to keep things cooling.... Later Jeff
Thanks for the insight. What is the best cooling system for the kind of ice fishing we do around here?

That's a tough question, I've had free air, fan and liquid and even though liquid has it's draw backs on straight ice, I still like it best... The fan would be next in line to me, with free air bringing up the tail end... If the sled isn't moving the free air won't cool and so they have a tendency to overheat leading to vapor locking, which can be a big pain... Fan's do a pretty good job, but I'm sure there are a lot of ice fishermen that will tell you they are the best, but my personal preference is the rock solid liquid cooling systems and finding loose snow to dash into every so often so it keeps the sled cool... You will already need some snow/ice chip splash to keep the hyfax cool, and it will keep the liquids going at the same time.. Just my preference and I'm sure others will tell you differently... Kind of getting into the Ford Chevy Ram area here... Later Jeff