Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Provo boat harbor?
So I have to get a weight of my trailer without the boat so I can get a title for it for my lein holder. It's a single axle and never had a title on trailer and VIN has faded away so I had to get a reissued VIN and now a title. As for the weighing of the trailer The best idea I could come up with was go to provo harbor and leave the boat there with my wife and take trailer to flying J and get a weight and then come back for boat. Does anyone know if provo has ice or not?
The camera at the state park shows no ice
I was there around noon today. There was a thin layer of ice around most of the Harbor. It was very thin with a few small spots of open water around some of the docks. Im talking less that a foot wide. You could punch holes in it with the handle of your rod. The middle of the Harbor was open water. Couple folks fishing the docks on the north side with not much results. The channel was pretty much all open water all the way out to the main lake. I managed 2 white bass at the dock closest to the main building with one of Pats RC killer jigs tipped with a small piece of worm. Some kids at the dock with the gas pump was catching them with every drop of their jig. It was very cold the 2 hrs I was there for sure. If there had been any wind it would have been miserable.
Sounds like a good plan. Just FYI Leland Mills can weigh you too.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Thanks everyone for your input. Craig I didn't think about Leland Mills Landscape weighing it. Maybe I'll check Lincoln beach to put my boat in and go there. I'm just having my wife and kids stay with the boat. This whole thing is stupid but I understand it but I still think it stupid. Ive been out on the run around by the dmv and police department getting the VIN # now I have to do all this for the title sheesh
Try buying a boat that registered in Tennessee but was bought in Alabama and neither of those states title boats, motors, or trailers.

I took months to work through getting proper paperwork just to walk in with everything and have the person not even look at any of it and just click on the computer and give you your paperwork and decals. Walked out of there with a twitch in my eye that day.

Thankfully I can renew it online.
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
Justin, Sunday afternoon LB was frozen with about 3/4" ice.

RJ
Also if Utah Lake is frozen when you're ready Deer Creek is still wide open and the county dump transfer station just up the road from the lake has a scale.
Justin, do you have to actually prove the weight? If not, just put down 575 pounds and you'll be pretty close.

I did a little more searching on the internet and my guestimate still seems about right. I also found this little gem: "Look on the capacity label. There will be two figures - Capacity and GVWR. Subtract the capacity from the GVWR. That's how much the trailer weighs."
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

I found out that LB was frozen over so went to Provo and they had an area of open water by one set of docks so I launched and took trailer to flying j and weighed it there. 2 bad things happened. Flying j charge $12 instead of $2 like Leland Mills and one of my welds broke on my bunk board guide side rails so I need to get that fixed. Trailer weighed in at 620 lbs.
Easy way ! Weigh the whole rig and subtract the weight of the boat, which is listed on the tag from the manufacturer and you will have the weight of the trailer !! You can also call the manufacturer of the boat and they can give you a gross weight. Much easier than running around, leaving the boat at the lake, etc !!!
Do you really need to register the trailer ?  I had a 17 ft. Lund on a single axle trailer and didn't have to register it. 

Thought the 3 data points that would require registering a boat trailer were:

1. If the boat was over 18 ft. long, or
2. if it was a 2 axle (or greater) trailer, or
3. if the trailer was 700 lbs. or more. 

It doesn't sound like your trailer meets any of those requirements. 
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
(12-04-2020, 10:16 PM)Tin-Can Wrote: Do you really need to register the trailer ?  I had a 17 ft. Lund on a single axle trailer and didn't have to register it. 

Thought the 3 data points that would require registering a boat trailer were:

1. If the boat was over 18 ft. long, or
2. if it was a 2 axle (or greater) trailer, or
3. if the trailer was 700 lbs. or more. 

It doesn't sound like your trailer meets any of those requirements. 

Forest my Lund is 16' I had to register: trailer, boat and motor
In my case I didn't have to register/license the trailer or the motor but since they have serial numbers I had to apply for titles on them.
Hey Justin, I'm glad you got it done. I wasn't too far off, was I? How much would you guess mine weighs. I'm sure it's smaller than yours.

Richard, do you know the weights of your boat and trailer separately? I suspect mine is similar to yours.

As I just bought a new boat, I can vouch that you have to title the boat, the motor, AND the trailer, but you don't need to register or get license tags/plates for the trailer if it meets the three points R2U2 posted above. Mine didn't. (Due to staff shortages at DMV from the Covidiocy, I still don't have hull numbers, though.)
(12-05-2020, 03:30 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: As I just bought a new boat, I can vouch that you have to title the boat, the motor, AND the trailer, but you don't need to register or get license tags/plates for the trailer if it meets the three points R2U2 posted above. Mine didn't. (Due to staff shortages at DMV from the Covidiocy, I still don't have hull numbers, though.)

OK, I checked back thru all my boat and trailer documents. I do have a registration / title on the trailer but because the boat isn't 18 ft. and the trailer is single axle, and it only weighs 375 lbs.  I do not require a plate or annual registration renewal on the trailer.  
My new motor also has a registration number provided by the dealer (Fred's Marine) as well as a title, but no kind of sticker required. So all I am required each year is  the renewal of the boat registration at about $53.00 a year. 

But in my research yesterday, I did learn that the DMV is no longer sending out post card renewal reminders. You can, however, request an email renewal reminder on the DMV web site. Be prepared to provide the last 4 of the VIN / HIN,  Hull number,  or plate number,  of any boat, vehicle, trailer, RV or whatever else you would normally renew registration on each year.  
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
I've had to do all this because the lein holder for my loan needs the title for the trailer. There never has been a title for the trailer. The ladies I bought the boat from were rich ands paid cash for the boat new. They were first owner I'm the second. My label that has Vin # is so faded you can't make out any info. The police couldn't find any info so dmv is making me go through all this to get title. I had police come twice because dmv told me wrong first time. I finally got VIN now I can get police to come watch me put that on and I go back to dmv with weigh ticket and info they sent home to fill out and hopefully I can just get a title and I don't have to register it. It would save a lot of money. But that's the next saga...
Just want to clarify about registering your trailer. You may, but don't have to, unless you want to take it out of state. Evidently other states require it and aren't real sympathetic about Utah's rules. When in Rome ...