Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boat frozen down
Fri. 12-4
Went to Deer Creek.
We backed in as usual started the boat then my bride tied to launch. We do this by her backing down 2 or 3 feet then a quick stop. No comee off. Huh Boat was frozen to the bunk boards.  I got riggers out and other stuff ready. After 20 min. or so I tried backing off no go.  I tried running forward a bit no go.  So we waited with Trailer hanging off bottom of the boat.  Due to my impatience after 30 or 35 min. I had my bride pull truck up and rolled back three feet or so then jam on the brake.  Boat popped off. Smile Checked trailer and boat all was well.
Water temp. was right at 40 degrees. I never dreamed it would take that long to thaw.
I had been to Deer Creek last Sat.  Never did put boat in the shop like usual so the water in the bunk board carpet froze and being outside it never thawed and dried.
Had this happen one other time at Strawberry when we were camping over Thanksgiving.  It however did not take us 35 min. to get the trailer to let go. Water must have been a bit warmer that time.
Interesting, I have never heard of that happening.
At Bear Lake on Wednesday, I launched the boat and then parked the trailer. When I went to get the trailer, I pulled forward, something was wrong. The tires on the trailer were dragging. They were frozen. I stopped, and backed up. That released the wheels, but I had never had that happen before either.
I had the same thing happen to me on Thurs, water temp was 36 degrees at launch. Boat would not come off at first, I just let it soak in the water for a few minutes and it popped free. Just the things we have to put up with this time of the year, when you fish from a boat in these cold temps. The weight of the trailer pulling down on the boat will help free it, if you back the trailer in far enough.
I have an EZ Loader trailer that came with bunk pads that fits over my 6" bunks. These come in 4" or 6" for the size bunk used. These put a barrier between the carpet and the hull. Wonderful item to install especially for this time of year. I have never have my boat stuck to the trailer. Another good use item is replacing carpeted bunk with the composite decking such as Trex but I've only seen it used with aluminum boats only. 

EZ-SLIDE Bunk Pad Kit for 6 in. Wide Bunks KIT4 #013.3 (easternmarine.com)
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
These are regular, daily occurrances at the Gorge for the entire winter, starting a few weeks ago, carrying through February. There are some tricks of the trade for winter regulars. Pump the brakes on the tow vehicle after launching to prevent frozen brakes. Drive around the lot a few times with the trailer to dry out the water and keep wheels from freezing. Spray the bunk carpet a few times with silicone to prevent boat from freezing to the carpet. (One treatment lasts all winter, 40+ launches) All just part of my everyday routine, like blowing out the pee tube on the motor every evening so it pisses water upon start every below-zero morning. Warm up sonar screens. Take rods inside every night so they work the next morning. Same with trolling motor remotes. Handwarmers in pockets to warm up remotes. Have chains laid out and untangled in the truck bed for morning launch. Keep fuel tanks full. Fully charge every battery every night, including the starter. Coat the trolling motor shaft with Armorall so it can be deployed. (keeps ice buildup to a minimum) . . .