Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mantua drive by 12/6
Drove up to Mantua around noon today (Sunday) to see just what the pond looked like. It is mostly iced over. Maybe 20 people still fishing, some as far out as most go during mid winter. Talked to a few guys that said the ice was about 5 inches deep out a hundred yards: but the hand he held up only looked like a thin 4 inches of ice. Anyway not too bad, but they said getting on and off is scary because the ice is all broke up and shattered. So be careful. They did have several bows and a couple 10 inch perch fishing with small Maniac in chartreuse.

I then drove down to Willard North marina. It is capped over. Several boats had launched and broke thru the 1/2 in. ice . Didn't see any action going on.
Good fishing to all.   Hue
tks for the drive-by and report..do believe I'll give it another good week to strengthen the deck....hope we keep these cold nights going...
Thanks for the drive by I saw on another group that there have already been some brave soles fishing it, I'm going to give it a go Thursday and report back.
I'm surprised it's holding. Cutler has been capped a lot longer, but outside of the shaded areas it's still scary thin... I'd say caution will have to be your guide if you try it... Take and use your spud bar... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(12-06-2020, 09:47 PM)BURLEY Wrote: Drove up to Mantua around noon today (Sunday) to see just what the pond looked like. It is mostly iced over. Maybe 20 people still fishing, some as far out as most go during mid winter. Talked to a few guys that said the ice was about 5 inches deep out a hundred yards: but the hand he held up only looked like a thin 4 inches of ice. Anyway not too bad, but they said getting on and off is scary because the ice is all broke up and shattered. So be careful. They did have several bows and a couple 10 inch perch fishing with small Maniac in chartreuse.

I then drove down to Willard North marina. It is capped over. Several boats had launched and broke thru the 1/2 in. ice . Didn't see any action going on.

Funny how 5” to someone, can be 3” to another. Guess that’s why it’s always a good idea to check for yourself. Hopefully you get out soon, I’m anxious to hear your snowdog report.
Somebody posted a YouTube vid Sunday morning, meaning they must have been fishing Saturday or earlier. They fished without issue, but both went through in knee-deep water as they pulled off the ice later in the day. They caught a few trout, perch, and bass.
Maybe that will serve as a warning to tread carefully this time of year. I didn't even go out on the ice. It sure would be nice to have ice thick enough to take my snowdog that is just up the canyon 4 miles. I was thinking about going to Schofield tomorrow but the 2 1/2 hr trip has changed my mind.
Burley, you can go drive by newton and see if there's ice, lemme know!
(12-07-2020, 10:56 PM)Fritzfishin Wrote: Burley, you can go drive by newton and see if there's ice, lemme know!
I live in Brigham, so that is 40 miles away. Skunkedagain lives in Cache valley; maybe he can get us an update.
(12-07-2020, 10:20 PM)BURLEY Wrote: Maybe that will serve as a warning to tread carefully this time of year. I didn't even go out on the ice. It sure would be nice to have ice thick enough to take my snowdog that is just up the canyon 4 miles. I was thinking about going to Schofield tomorrow but the 2 1/2 hr trip has changed my mind.

Just look at it as a shorter sturgeon trip and go for it.
(12-08-2020, 12:51 AM)kentofnsl Wrote:
(12-07-2020, 10:20 PM)BURLEY Wrote: Maybe that will serve as a warning to tread carefully this time of year. I didn't even go out on the ice. It sure would be nice to have ice thick enough to take my snowdog that is just up the canyon 4 miles. I was thinking about going to Schofield tomorrow but the 2 1/2 hr trip has changed my mind.

Just look at it as a shorter sturgeon trip and go for it.
I think that by next week Mantua will be plenty thick for me to play on. I will be watching it closely, but I don't want to be the first machine out there.
(12-07-2020, 11:04 PM)BURLEY Wrote:
(12-07-2020, 10:56 PM)Fritzfishin Wrote: Burley, you can go drive by newton and see if there's ice, lemme know!
I live in Brigham, so that is 40 miles away. Skunkedagain lives in Cache valley; maybe he can get us an update.
Hey sorry just seen this, I haven't heard anything about Newton yet, and if it's like Cutler, which it could be very similar... I have found everything on Cutler is good in the shadows, like 6+", but everywhere the sun light hits the surface it's only about 2-2.5" and cracking pretty bad... If I get a chance to run over to Newton I'll try and do it... but I'm getting ready for the Henry's trip this weekend and running out of time getting my last junk together after work at night... I probably won't have time, since I need to get the sleds loaded and gear packed and animals situated, plus finish up any last honey dews before I leave my wife to take care of things.. But I'll let you know if I get over there... Later Jeff
PS... The afternoon temperatures have been close to 50 all week and even though it's 10 at night the daytime highs keep burning off the night time gains...
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
If Mantua is ACTUALLY 5", that's where I'll be tomorrow, I think.

5" of ice is just happens to be the perfect amount to drill through with a hand auger.......
(12-08-2020, 09:51 PM)Springbuck1 Wrote: If Mantua is ACTUALLY 5", that's where I'll be tomorrow, I think. 

5" of ice is just happens to be the perfect amount to drill through with a hand auger.......
After reading your post, I grabbed my K-drill and a tape and went up to actually get a measurement of the ice. As I stepped onto the ice, my *ice* was puckered tight. The ice was very clear and looked like two- 1 1/2 in. layers as shown by the many fractures. I slowly went out to about 100 feet from the ramp. This was the distance a man and his son was fishing. A tent was set up out about 100 yards. I drilled a hole. It was hardly deep enough to call a hole. It was 3 1/4 inch. I picked up my drill and headed back to shore. Too thin for me to go out any farther.
(12-08-2020, 10:43 PM)BURLEY Wrote:
(12-08-2020, 09:51 PM)Springbuck1 Wrote: If Mantua is ACTUALLY 5", that's where I'll be tomorrow, I think. 

After reading your post, I grabbed my K-drill and a tape and went up to actually get a measurement of the ice. As I stepped onto the ice, my *ice* was puckered tight. The ice was very clear and looked like two- 1 1/2 in. layers as shown by the many fractures. I slowly went out to about 100 feet from the ramp. This was the distance a man and his son was fishing. A tent was set up out about 100 yards. I drilled a hole. It was hardly deep enough to call a hole. It was 3 1/4 inch. I picked up my drill and headed back to shore. Too thin for me to go out any farther.
Thanks, Burley.  5" is plenty, 3.5" is not even close.  It sounded too good to be true, given the speed ice forms downward from the bottom, but I wanted to believe.
Drive by Newton Monday. Open water asking the west side. A few holes drilled just out from the spillway. Sorry, didn't stop to check ice. Great six inches at westin. Perch werent hungry.  Three plus inches at Deep Creek. Found one sick slimmer.[Image: IMG-20201207-112222063.jpg]