Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Echo/Rockport drive-by
Covid blanket had the wife wanting to get out of the house, so talked her into a little 2-hr drive this sunny afternoon.  Went first to Echo.
Ice covering nearly all of the reservoir, with the shallower south end looking more solid.  Just had my hip done a month ago; otherwise, 
I would have mountain goated down the rocks at the dam and checked the thickness.  Guessing it to be 2-3", with a skinny strip of open 
water straight across along that east side shoreline.  Water level, right to the end of the ramp,  looks to be a foot or two higher than when 
I drove my Tacoma off-ramp 5 wks ago and GPS-ed some now-visible brush and rock outcroppings.  
Rockport still blue & wet.
(12-06-2020, 09:51 PM)perchinski Wrote: Covid blanket had the wife wanting to get out of the house, so talked her into a little 2-hr drive this sunny afternoon.  Went first to Echo.
Ice covering nearly all of the reservoir, with the shallower south end looking more solid.  Just had my hip done a month ago; otherwise, 
I would have mountain goated down the rocks at the dam and checked the thickness.  Guessing it to be 2-3", with a skinny strip of open 
water straight across along that east side shoreline.  Water level, right to the end of the ramp,  looks to be a foot or two higher than when 
I drove my Tacoma off-ramp 5 wks ago and GPS-ed some now-visible brush and rock outcroppings.  
I thought about trying to hike down that rocky shoreline to the dam face. I think I would much rather walk in from the boat launch. That is some sketchy access at best. I have that ice fishing itch real bad. I followed your lead on that lighter lithium battery you showed me at Rockport last winter. I ordered one for my vexilar and it should be here shortly. I think I will get out on Echo or Mantua here hopefully the week before Christmas.
Gabe
I did a little test at Echo. some 2" ice but not my game, I dont swim so well. I can wait. East Canyon had a little starting to form as did Pineview in the South Thumb
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(12-06-2020, 10:14 PM)Freakyfisherman Wrote:
(12-06-2020, 09:51 PM)perchinski Wrote: Covid blanket had the wife wanting to get out of the house, so talked her into a little 2-hr drive this sunny afternoon.  Went first to Echo.
I thought about trying to hike down that rocky shoreline to the dam face. I think I would much rather walk in from the boat launch. That is some sketchy access at best. I have that ice fishing itch real bad. I followed your lead on that lighter lithium battery you showed me at Rockport last winter. I ordered one for my vexilar and it should be here shortly. I think I will get out on Echo or Mantua here hopefully the week before Christmas.
Gabe
Hoping Rockport will ice up soon, our bird hunt in Idaho was slow, planning on heading back the last week of Dec. before heading to Texas.