Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Birch Creek Ice Fishing
This video is filmed at Birch Creek Reservoir and reservoir by Woodruff Utah. There was a solid 6 inches of ice so we ventured out onto the lake and caught some fish!

The fish were located in deep water by the dam right on the bottom. They were under a lot of fishing pressure so use something small. We started using little tungsten jigs tipped with Berkley Gulp Maggots and/or nightcrawlers.

A group next to use was having great success with tungsten jigs with a flasher 10 inches above it. We didn't have any flashers, so we used spoons with the hooks removed. The Fish were biting very softly and you almost couldn't see your rod tip move. So stand right next to your rod or you will not see any bites.

Also, don't hesitate to set the hook! The fish were biting the jigs once and leaving them so if you see a bite just set the hook!

Video Link: https://youtu.be/DAVxYtzkUXw
Why do I like fishing so much? The same reason why you like breathing so much, It keeps me alive.
That looks like a good day, even if the catching wasn't fast and furious. Thanks for posting.

How did you determine those fish were wild?
(12-09-2020, 04:18 AM)gaardvark Wrote: That looks like a good day, even if the catching wasn't fast and furious. Thanks for posting.

How did you determine those fish were wild?
Thanks for replying! Fish in fish hatcheries are stored in concrete tanks. So as the fish swim around there find slowly wear down to stubs. A wild fish would have full fins.
Why do I like fishing so much? The same reason why you like breathing so much, It keeps me alive.
(12-09-2020, 04:51 AM)Backyard Boy T.V. Wrote:
(12-09-2020, 04:18 AM)gaardvark Wrote: How did you determine those fish were wild?
Thanks for replying! Fish in fish hatcheries are stored in concrete tanks. So as the fish swim around there find slowly wear down to stubs. A wild fish would have full fins.

The only time that I have witnessed hatchery-planted fish that had worn down fins was when they have planted brood stock.  Brood stock have been kept in the hatcheries for a long time and yes their fins are worn down and also chewed off by other fish.  The fish that you were referring to as "wild fish" were highly likely planters.

Thanks for the video and report.

Most of the fish that are stocked in Birch Creek are between 2" and 5" long so they haven't been in the hatchery long enough to wear their fins down.

I doubt that there is much if any natural reproduction in Birch Creek.