Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Lake Ice Fishing Podcast
Got a call from Sam Braegger of the Utah Lake Commission.  He asked me to do a telephone podcast on ice fishing Utah Lake.  So I did.  HERE'S THE LINK
how cool would it be to do a group fish n meet on the lake during one of these pod casts out there! in the field live action! good job pat!
(12-10-2020, 10:58 PM)Fritzfishin Wrote: how cool would it be to do a group fish n meet on the lake during one of these pod casts out there! in the field live action! good job pat!
Thanks.  It would indeed be "cool"...on the ice.  But if I'm there for fishin'  I ain't gonna wanna waste my time on socializin' and stuff.  Be serious.  Take care of bizness.
do you think the ice will be thick enough to hit the mythical abyss this season?
(12-10-2020, 11:34 PM)Fritzfishin Wrote: do you think the ice will be thick enough to hit the mythical abyss this season?
Most winters, when the lake completely caps by the end of December there will be at least a month of safe ice over the "BIG HOLE".    I have never seen it open but there are some other spots where hot springs in shallower water keep open holes in the ice between AFBH and the Abyss.  Here's a picture of one.
[Image: MID-LAKE-SPRING-HOLE.jpg]
(12-10-2020, 08:08 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Got a call from Sam Braegger of the Utah Lake Commission.  He asked me to do a telephone podcast on ice fishing Utah Lake.  So I did.  HERE'S THE LINK
Good Job!!!!  Its true we didnt haul all this crazy gear out and still caught a fish now and again.
(12-10-2020, 08:08 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Got a call from Sam Braegger of the Utah Lake Commission.  He asked me to do a telephone podcast on ice fishing Utah Lake.  So I did.  HERE'S THE LINK
Pat
I listened and enjoyed it. Nice work. I have ice fished once in the pelican bay access and got a few white bass through the ice. If I could just figure out where I can find the walleye under the ice, I might give it another go this winter. 
Gabe
(12-11-2020, 02:04 AM)Freakyfisherman Wrote:
Pat
I listened and enjoyed it. Nice work. I have ice fished once in the pelican bay access and got a few white bass through the ice. If I could just figure out where I can find the walleye under the ice, I might give it another go this winter. 
Gabe
Glad ya liked it.  Hard to plan where to find walleyes.  As with most big flat structureless ponds, walleyes are constantly roaming...looking for groceries (small fish of other species).  So, as a general rule, if you can find where there are a lot of white bass there is a good chance that walleyes are nearby.

I have caught stray walleyes while jigging blade baits or other larger lures for white bass.  In the old days, a lot of us just spent all day jigging a hammered nickle spoon...catching all species on it...including walleye and even catfish.  Today I suspect that some jigging with a rattling crank might produce...under the right conditions.

Had a couple of reports about 4 or 5 years ago from a guy who was going out at night...a hundred yards or so off Lindon...and fishing glow big glow plastic twisters.  Saw some pics of some bodacious eyes.  But it only happened for a few nights and then he couldn't find them any more.

Have also heard that putting a 2" strip of white bass meat on a jigging spoon can get some action.

But, as always, first ya gotta find 'em.
Good podcast, Pat! I gave it a listen while cooking up some white bass fillets for breakfast.
Finally had a few few minutes and got to listen to the pod cast. Enjoyed it. Got me thinking about how I use to only have one of those green mesh, over the shoulder, tackle bags, and it had hooks, worm, sinkers and if I had been paid by the local farmers for hauling their hay, maybe a meps spinner or panther martin , in it. Spent a lot of time getting wet, rescuing a stuck spinner cause I didn't have any change to get a new one..

Caught a lot of fish that way.

Well I got to go. Got to get the batteries charged up on my super-duper  3d live scope fish finder- identifier-size estimator, underwater camera-youtube editor, subscope, gps with hot spot locator; and respool my reels with the new super spider wire ultra thin micro laminate sent inhanced ice line, and inject the waxy worm with a micro beta genetic fish attractor; get the ice tent sprayed down with moisture wicking, solar radiation mold block and check for shorts in my temperature optimizing gortex, Bigfoot downy hair lined muck boots.( i dare ya to fix the punctuation in that paragraph, Craig)

I better make up a peanut butter sandwich too
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(12-12-2020, 05:38 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: Finally had a few few minutes and got to listen to the pod cast. Enjoyed it. Got me thinking about how I use to only have one of those green mesh, over the shoulder, tackle bags, and it had hooks, worm, sinkers and if I had been paid by the local farmers for hauling their hay, maybe a meps spinner or panther martin , in it. Spent a lot of time getting wet, rescuing a stuck spinner cause I didn't have any change to get a new one..

Caught a lot of fish that way.

Well I got to go. Got to get the batteries charged up on my super-duper  3d live scope fish finder- identifier-size estimator, underwater camera-youtube editor, subscope, gps with hot spot locator; and respool my reels with the new super spider wire ultra thin micro laminate sent inhanced ice line, and inject the waxy worm with a micro beta genetic fish attractor; get the ice tent sprayed down with moisture wicking, solar radiation mold block and check for shorts in my temperature optimizing gortex, Bigfoot downy hair lined muck boots.( i dare ya to fix the punctuation in that paragraph, Craig)

I better make up a peanut butter sandwich too
By all means, don't forget the peanut butter sammich.  Just don't put smelly jelly on it.
 Sam did not seems to quite noticed your comment are giving the carp a gillectomy or he did not want to talk about it on his podcast. Thanks for mentioning BFT Pat.
(12-14-2020, 01:57 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
 Sam did not seems to quite noticed your comment are giving the carp a gillectomy or he did not want to talk about it on his podcast. Thanks for mentioning BFT Pat.
Gotta forgive Sam.  He has not spent enough time on BFT to pick up on all of our little "inside" jokes.  I'll refer him to these pictures so he gets the idea.
[Image: GILLECTOMY.jpg][Image: OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA.jpg][Image: OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA.jpg][Image: OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA.jpg]