Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Lake State Park Icefishing 12/9 and 12/10
Catchinon and I hit the harbor at Utah Lake State Park on Wednesday and I returned alone on Thursday.  We each caught a single bluegill on Wednesday, and added some white bass.  I fished the left eye out of a white bass and caught a half dozen or so white bass cousins on it.  Largest bass was 11.5" and largest bluegill was 7".  Other success on Wednesday was on a nightcrawler, or some other variations of earthworms (red wiggler and some other green worms Craig had).  Ice varied from 1-2", and we fished in about 8 feet of water from the dock.  Other people walked across a short stretch of ice to access the docks behind the gates and seemed to also be catching fish.

On Thursday, I ventured out alone.  Due to crowds on the two "locked" docks, I fished off the fuel pump dock.  I saw a muskrat that quickly disappeared in hole in the ice.  Later I saw a mink scurrying around between docks.  Thought about throwing him some white bass...

On Thursday, ice was a little thicker.  Water was shallower on that fuel dock, maybe 6 feet.  I only caught 2 small bluegills and 2 white bass.  No luck with a white bass eye that time.  Wax and meal worms seemed to be the ticket.

Not a glamorous destination, but a good place to go get some icefishing practice in.  Noticed others had kids with them, and that is always a good thing.

Now we need to figure out how to get the crappies to play!

jack of all tackle, master of none
I fished that gas pump dock yesterday evening.  Caugh 5 different species (white bass, perch, 1 crappie, sunfish and an 8" walleye).  First walleye through the ice for me.  Only kept a dozen white bass.
Phong, you are the master of Provo Harbor fishing. I need to get together with you soon so I can get more lessons.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

For sure Craig, I can fish during weekend.  It was fun fishing with you at rRockport last Winter.  We need to do that again.
Yessir. At the end of the season EyLayo, joatmon and I found a great spot near the dam where we caught a lot of nice trout. We should try it when my knee heals up.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Let me know when you’re ready Craig.