Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Otter Creek yesterday 12-10
Made a quick trip to Otter Creek.
I fished south end.
Ice was 4+ inches where I was.

Watched a fellar bout 100 yds. from me work his way out into deeper water drilling holes every 20'. He went out about 150 yds, from shore and by amount of time it took for his auger to make it through I think he was still in 3" to 4" of ice.
I did not go out very far to check the ice thickness myself.

I only ventured out 30' or so myself.  I seem to do better in at Otter closer to the shore and have a favored spot to start and it did not let me down.

I would recommend cleats as the ice is supper smooth.  The dog even fell a few times.  As he would stand by and watch me fish his feet would slowly slide out.

I did not even go where I could look north on the lake so I can not comment on ice further north.  Southern end is the dam and deeper water so I would assume north is frozen also.
Good to know. Thanks for the info. But I gotta ask, were there any fish caught?
Fished from 12:30 to 3:30. Only managed to land 5 fish.
Tons of bites. They would smack it once and be gone. I'd then have to then retip the kastmaster. They got the meal worm every time.
Found that the jaw jacker had been set off after getting back from the 150' walk to the outfit. (I fergot the chair)
It had hooked up but the fishy was gone. Must of been a purty good one though cause there was lots of line drug off the drag.
Kind of a drag I wasn't there if ya ask me.
Thanks for the information. I think its always great to go out on the first ice of the season. Slow going and a little scary...but fun. I see on the state parks website that OC is only at 30%. Last time, seems like maybe 3 years ago or so?, the lake was that low during the winter, seems like the fishing was better. Maybe less for them to forage on? Have you seen that?
Rob
Robster10

"I see on the state parks website that OC is only at 30%."

Otter was 38% as of 9 am this morning. (Sunday)

My experience has been that some years I am better at figuring out what the fish want. I am certain this depends on the forage base.
This figuring out often is a bit diff. year to year and often changes throughout the season.

This what makes it so fun.
It keeps it fishin not catchin.

I enjoy the challenges. It can be extremely frustrating however.