Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mantua 12/12
I rarely get away from work this time of year, but had an open date today.  I arranged to meet with JArner for an early morning run up to Mantua. I parked and tested the ice at the northwest corner.  It did not look good all along that side.  I walked out a little ways and was met with a lot of cracking underfoot.  I chickened out after going out about 15 to 20 ft.  Jim handed me his long handled crowbar and I walked back out.  I hit the ice twice and it went through. Pucker Moment!  I made a hasty retreat and we loaded our sleds back in the truck and parked down by the boat ramp.

Headed out with the masses and out past most of the others.  Drilled a few holes and started catching some dink perch.  Caught a few others that were nicer but nothing over 8".  Ice was about 5".  Move out further, nothing but dink perch for me. Jim can comment on his catches. 

We punched a few more holes, steadily moving northeast.  There were a few open spots here and there that we gave a wide berth.  The ice got thinner as we moved east.  The last spot we tried had 3.5" of ice.  Caught a few more perch and then had some marks that would not bite the perch eye or meat.  I switched over to spikes or wax worms thinking they might be gills.  Bingo, they were.  They liked either of those offerings.  I put 10 on the ice in about 1/2 hour. It wasn't fast, but it was steady. We were getting ready to go when the gills moved in and it was after noon, so we called it a day.[Image: 20201212-122330.jpg]
Not a bad way to start the ice season. Wish those dinky perch would have turned into jumbos. Thanks for the invite and company on the ice.
Looks like you both had a good day.   I bet those fish tacos tasted extra good after all the work to catch and then clean those small gills.   
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
"I put 10 on the ice in about 1/2 hour. It wasn't fast, but it was steady."

Three per minute sounds fast to me!

We were there as well, did almost the same thing. I ad never accessed from the west side and the shallower water and min-beaches with sand had ice on that side thinned down, so we tried again from the south dike.

We went out about 300 yards to where everybody else had stopped, fished 8 feet of water for a while, caught some trout, including an almost 18" bow, and a 4" perch. Ice was over 5".

Went out another 100 yards, ice was more like 4.5, and only a little action. Then my brother made a bigger move, about 200 yards north as if heading west of the Point, and immediately caught a nice bluegill in 14' depth. There was a large open, or at least dark, patch we skirted way around, and by that time he was farther "out" than most people, and some a gone home.

But, the ice was still a bit over 4", so we drilled and dropped. Picked up a few here and there, drilled a little more. My brother left with that one gill. Overall, it was slow, with a an hour here and an hour there faster. I fished about 9 hours, and caught 20 or so, putting some back, while Bblake98 did about the same, or slightly better. Together, 32 keeper gills, four 9" perch. Called it a day just after sundown.
Sounds like a fun day... How is parking this year? Can you park along the south dike again? Are they charging a fee now? I may have to go try and catch my gill for the contest... Thanks for the great report... J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(12-14-2020, 05:54 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Sounds like a fun day... How is parking this year?  Can you park along the south dike again?  Are they charging a fee now? I may have to go try and catch my gill for the contest...  Thanks for the great report... J
Don't fish in the area off the dike!  Today a guy fell through about 200-300 yards straight out from the stairs. I know this because I called 911 and crawled out to him with the only rescue gear I had. A pair of self rescue spikes. It was the worst feeling I've ever felt to be so helpless. KUDOs and much respect to ALL the rescue people who did a fantastic, brave, selfless job with pulling the guy out.  I just thank God I was there to initiate the rescue. It was just he and I in that area.  PLEASE PLEASE be careful. To my knowledge the man will be OK. Prayers for him and his family.
(12-14-2020, 07:27 PM)styngray32 Wrote: Don't fish in the area off the dike!  Today a guy fell through about 200-300 yards straight out from the stairs. I know this because I called 911 and crawled out to him with the only rescue gear I had. A pair of self rescue spikes. It was the worst feeling I've ever felt to be so helpless. KUDOs and much respect to ALL the rescue people who did a fantastic, brave, selfless job with pulling the guy out.  I just thank God I was there to initiate the rescue. It was just he and I in that area.  PLEASE PLEASE be careful. To my knowledge the man will be OK. Prayers for him and his family.

Great Job man! Gotta be carful out there
(12-14-2020, 07:27 PM)styngray32 Wrote:
(12-14-2020, 05:54 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Sounds like a fun day... How is parking this year?  Can you park along the south dike again?  Are they charging a fee now? I may have to go try and catch my gill for the contest...  Thanks for the great report... J
Don't fish in the area off the dike!  Today a guy fell through about 200-300 yards straight out from the stairs. I know this because I called 911 and crawled out to him with the only rescue gear I had. A pair of self rescue spikes. It was the worst feeling I've ever felt to be so helpless. KUDOs and much respect to ALL the rescue people who did a fantastic, brave, selfless job with pulling the guy out.  I just thank God I was there to initiate the rescue. It was just he and I in that area.  PLEASE PLEASE be careful. To my knowledge the man will be OK. Prayers for him and his family.
Nice job! And thanks for reminding all of us to take a throw rope. I just took mine out because I take too much stuff, but I’d hate to be there helpless if someone was in trouble. Do you know if he just hit one of the vent spots or was all the ice thin there. The ice on Cutler has really improved since last week.  I’ve got close to 6” where there was less than 3 last week. Thanks for taking care of a fellow angler and passing on the warning. Later Jeff
Fix 13 has body cam video of the whole rescue
Fox13 online has an interview with Mantua's police chief that went into the water for the rescue. He said that the fisherman had his sled attached to a harness that the chief had to unattach. The sled, underwater of course, kept him from climbing out.
Good fishing to all.   Hue
I've said it before and I will say it again...

Early ice, wear a PFD, it will keep you floating till help comes.

DRAG YOUR OWN ROPE!. Tie a 50' rope around your waist when you are walking around on the ice. If you fall through the other guy does not need a rope, they can just grab yours from 40' away and get you out.
(12-14-2020, 03:19 PM)Tin-Can Wrote: Looks like you both had a good day.   I bet those fish tacos tasted extra good after all the work to catch and then clean those small gills.   
Forest, the tacos were amazing.  We had the whole crew plus one for dinner (9) and we finished off nearly every piece of fish.  Homemade pico, guacamole, dill lime dressing, mango, cabbage and salsa.  Fantastic!

(12-14-2020, 05:31 PM)Springbuck1 Wrote: "I put 10 on the ice in about 1/2 hour. It wasn't fast, but it was steady."

Three per minute sounds fast to me!

We were there as well, did almost the same thing.  I ad never accessed from the west side and the shallower water and min-beaches with sand had ice on that side thinned down, so we tried again from the south dike.

We went out about 300 yards to where everybody else had stopped, fished 8 feet of water for a while, caught some trout, including an almost 18" bow, and a 4" perch.  Ice was over 5".

Went out another 100 yards, ice was more like 4.5, and only a little action. Then my brother made a bigger move, about 200 yards north as if heading west of the Point, and immediately caught a nice bluegill in 14' depth.  There was a large open, or at least dark, patch we skirted way around, and by that time he was farther "out" than most people, and some a gone home.

But, the ice was still a bit over 4", so we drilled and dropped.  Picked up a few here and there, drilled a little more. My brother left with that one gill.  Overall, it was slow, with a an hour here and an hour there faster.  I fished about 9 hours, and caught 20 or so, putting some back, while Bblake98 did about the same, or slightly better.  Together, 32 keeper gills, four 9" perch.  Called it a day just after sundown.
That is a lot of time on the ice.  32 gills is a good number though.  I love catching gills through the ice.

I don't know about the south dike.  We just parked next to the restrooms near the boat ramp.  There was no fee as of yet that I could see.  By the way, the restroom was open and heated.
I was there this morning with a friend..we witnessed the rescue, from that South dike road...nothing we could do, but watch, and hope he made it... our plan was to go in from that cement step-down area,but of course we changed our entry point with the police, DNR, sheriff, 2 ambulances, and maybe another rescue vehicle or 2...thumbs up to all who helped this guy and his dog...it could have been us...We put in by the first parking lot on that dike road, no problem hiking on solid 4" ice maybe 300 yds off shore, near another tent...fishing not good there, but we got to check out our gear for the first time of the year..in the snow..and we were safe...We each wore life jackets on the way out, and I had my 5' heavy pic to check ice in front of us as we walked..I also had a whistle and hand pics handy...Yesterday my wife and I drove this dike road to check on parking, access, etc...lake was full of fishers, and even some ice skaters...No problem parking further up that road, just no parking between the arrowed signs, near that cement step area...plenty of parking either side of arrows.....All that being said, I do believe I'll go back to duck hunting again for at least a week or so before I go back to Mantua...Guluk, and be safe out there...
(12-15-2020, 03:00 AM)Jig-fisher Wrote: [quote pid='1108826' dateline='1607968461']
Sounds like a fun day... How is parking this year?  Can you park along the south dike again?  Are they charging a fee now? I may have to go try and catch my gill for the contest...  Thanks for the great report... J
I don't know about the south dike.  We just parked next to the restrooms near the boat ramp.  There was no fee as of yet that I could see.  By the way, the restroom was open and heated.
[/quote]
Thanks for the info. Hope the ice gets a little better I’d like to try it. Later Jeff
I see that there is a little snow on the ice now. Is it still super slick or has the snow provided some traction?
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

"Don't fish in the area off the dike!"

When we went there on Sat, someone had drilled a hole in the shaded area next to the trees along the south dike, 15 feet out or so, and it was almost 8" thick there. That's why I was confident going out that way.

I guess that's what shade does, but we drilled 4" everywhere we went.

In other words, yes, be careful no matter where you go or what you think you know.
(12-13-2020, 12:49 AM)Jig-fisher Wrote: I rarely get away from work this time of year, but had an open date today.  I arranged to meet with JArner for an early morning run up to Mantua. I parked and tested the ice at the northwest corner.  It did not look good all along that side.  I walked out a little ways and was met with a lot of cracking underfoot.  I chickened out after going out about 15 to 20 ft.  Jim handed me his long handled crowbar and I walked back out.  I hit the ice twice and it went through. Pucker Moment!  I made a hasty retreat and we loaded our sleds back in the truck and parked down by the boat ramp.

Headed out with the masses and out past most of the others.  Drilled a few holes and started catching some dink perch.  Caught a few others that were nicer but nothing over 8".  Ice was about 5".  Move out further, nothing but dink perch for me. Jim can comment on his catches. 

We punched a few more holes, steadily moving northeast.  There were a few open spots here and there that we gave a wide berth.  The ice got thinner as we moved east.  The last spot we tried had 3.5" of ice.  Caught a few more perch and then had some marks that would not bite the perch eye or meat.  I switched over to spikes or wax worms thinking they might be gills.  Bingo, they were.  They liked either of those offerings.  I put 10 on the ice in about 1/2 hour. It wasn't fast, but it was steady. We were getting ready to go when the gills moved in and it was after noon, so we called it a day.[Image: 20201212-122330.jpg]
Love it when my perch eye gets rejected repeatedly. Usually a good sign the gills have moved in. Rarely do I get a gill on perch parts. Did you happen to notice any black parasites on the flesh of the bluegill after you filleted them?
(12-15-2020, 06:24 PM)catchinon Wrote: I see that there is a little snow on the ice now. Is it still super slick or has the snow provided some traction?
It was still slick, but not too bad.  I did not bring my boot spikes but really didn't need them.

(12-15-2020, 11:16 PM)EyLayo Wrote: Love it when my perch eye gets rejected repeatedly. Usually a good sign the gills have moved in. Rarely do I get a gill on perch parts. Did you happen to notice any black parasites on the flesh of the bluegill after you filleted them?
I've noticed the same thing, they aren't cannibalistic like the perch. That Is why I switched baits when those marks just wouldn't bite.  I was not surprised when I hooked that 1st gill.  I did not notice any parasites in the fillets.
As a certified ice rescue member of our fire department i'd like to think i have a pretty fair amount of experience with our training and rescues. Folks, there simply isn't any size or amount of fish worth your life! When in doubt- STAY OFF! If you need to wear a PFD- STAY OFF! You are risking your own life and the lives of those who have to save you, Fellow fishermen or first responders. The incident above ended in a happy way, thankfully. I hope y'all have a safe and successful ice season. I'm looking forward to a few Strawberry and otter creek trips myself.
Boveineowner--I appreciate that you're an ice rescue member, but I do believe your PFD warning to ice fishers doesn't make sense...Somebody on Fat Biker's report site correctly stated that any active fisherman, hunter, camper, hiker, biker, swimmer, etc. etc. .... anyone... that is ACTIVELY taking part in outdoor activities....is taking a chance...the more we ACTIVELY take part in any of our chosen activities, the more chance of some type of 'incident'...do most climbers have serious safety gear in case of a slip or fall? Should they not go? Kayakers and canoeists have tipped or could tip due to circumstances, but should have PFDs..they are taking a chance..Should they not go? A Summer boat fisher takes a calculated risk each time the boat is launched, and the Captain is even responsible for each passenger...they are required (and smart) to have those PFDs, and a fire extinguisher, and a horn, and a bailer,etc..Does that mean they are expecting to capsize, have a man overboard, or catch fire? or Should they not go? Of course the early ice fishers are taking more of a chance than others; it's a risk they are willing to take, but they/we need any/all safety gear to be prepared for any type of 'incident'..and I do like GoneForever's additional advice of a 50' rope tied around and trailing behind you....If a biker 'needs' to wear leather and a helmet, Should they just not go?....There will always be 'early ice' fishers; I'm not saying that's good or bad, but I do say they/we should be smart and have any/all safety gear..including PFDs..to be prepared for any incident, from a cut finger, to falling through....good luck at Strawberry this Winter, and look out for those unexpected pressure ridges....Guluk...