Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scofield 12/11 & Mantua 12/12
I had a good two days out on the ice. 

Scofield: 16 fish mostly cutts 
Mantua: brought 14 home, lost count of how many

Friday found me with the day off and ice fish fever. Bride was worried Mantua ( or I ) wouldn’t be safe, so headed to Scofield. Went to the first spot I could get on because I was running later than wanted. 200 yards out from the ramp kept me on the right side of pressure ridges and far enough away from others. Drilled 2 holes and got my rod and finder set up. Showed a few marks at 12-15’ in 20’ of water. Started setting up my tent and by the time it was up I had a fish on. From 10:30-1 it was fast fishing. It took me 3 fish to get my second rod setup because they just kept biting on the first   Cool .  From 1 - 2:15 it slowed way down, so packed up and headed home. I did have one double hookup, which was a hoot to get untangled after they both flopped around. 

Saturday I got an invite for Mantua from jig-fisher. We met up and got to the lake before sunrise. Tried to get on a spot away from others but the ice was very thin as you can read in jig-fishers post. My long handle crowbar was used as a spud bar, and we made it out to a safe spot. Started catching tiny perch right away. Shortly after that I picked up a rainbow ( the first of 4 for the day ) a 12.5” planter. A few bigger perch showed up before you little ones came back. We tried a few spots where there were no fish to be seen. Moved again further north while avoiding the bubble ups. Found a sucker hole, I caught a perch and a rainbow while Paul was waiting to see if it was worth punching a hole. Those were the only fish we caught at that spot. Moved again further east to the thinnest ice we could stomach. Started off catching a few perch. Then marks came in that wouldn’t eat our perch eye offerings. Made the switch to wax worms and started pulling in decent bluegills. When the wind picked up it was extremely cold. Packed up and headed off the ice a little after 12pm. 

[Image: 1-FA498-FA-8600-484-A-8249-B61410-A7-B26-B.jpg]

[Image: 0861-D4-B3-81-C2-4-C00-A55-A-F5168-F822-DBA.jpg]

[Image: E9-E8-A61-C-686-E-46-BF-959-D-D57-CB7-BB72-E8.jpg]

[Image: 37-F98-B3-D-FB65-4-A5-B-AD12-BDE9-AF6-ABC66.jpg]

[Image: BDDA1-EBD-7658-4-DC7-AF04-9-A7-DF026488-E.jpg]
Fun times and great report.  Wish we could have found that bluegill spot a little earlier.  We had some great fish tacos today for dinner.