Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not a Magic Day
Hit Magic Reservoir Saturday, fishing was pretty slow, only marked a few fish and had a few bites between 9 and 1. It's very low, where I fished was only 10-12 fow where it has been 50- 60 fow in years past. Heard the road to the dam has a gate locked so can't get to that area now. Did get one nice perch, but since it was so slow put him back.
Too bad the catching was so bad for you Lyle. How thick was the ice?
I kinda expected that with it being so low, I heard it was at 6% capacity. Ice was 10" where I was at. I don't think it'll be very good this winter, maybe if a guy gets out in the middle, but not much for access there.
Sounds like you would have done better staying closer to home, fishing at your favorite walleye lake.
I don't think it's froze yet, not sure that freezes that good, don't get all that cold here in the winter, plus being narrow as it is has to have current and that keeps ice thin. Gonna check out American Falls next, I've done good there before, but heard it's really low also. Have a few new lakes to check out too.
Thanks for the report on Magic.  Sad to hear it's that low.

Here is a link to the Snake River reservoirs.  It looks like American Falls is half full so that's not bad for this time of year.

Good Luck! 

Hydromet Pacific Northwest Region | Bureau of Reclamation (usbr.gov)
Yea, the better half and some others I talked to said they've never seen it so low, not sure if they're working on the dam or not and that's why it's so low.

Thanks for the link, 50% isn't bad, might not be in as bad shape as I thought it might be.
Lyle, have you ever tried the East side of Magic? If you dare drive down that steep road? I have always done great on perch there. Last year I tried American Falls and couldn't even find a fish by the dam. Never marked one fish on my finder.
No, never have tried the east side, I tried one time and didn't think we'd get back out, so I turned around. The dams not a bad place to fish if you can get there. I've never fished around the dam at American Falls, I always go to sportsman's there.