Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mantua Polar Plunge
Retired for years ago and fished it two or three times a week each winter. I'm guessing it wasn't a matter of if, but a matter of when.
I don't know you, but I am glad you are safe. I go on several solo fishing trips, including on the ice. If you ever get the courage to go out on the ice again, I would let you tag along and use my stuff with me. I don't have a tent, but I have a flasher, rods, tackle, and ice auger.  I have met a few guys from this site and they have all been really genuine people. I am not a trout fisherman, but I prefer walleye, perch, bass, wiper, crappie, white bass, and bluegill. 
Gabe
Larry, I don't know you but glad you shared your story. If nothing else, it makes all of us be a little more cautious when venturing out. This early in the season, that is a very good thing.

Don't worry about the ego, that will heal, and we all have a closet full of stupid decisions. I'll share mine here. I love to backpack hunt and get in deep and away from people. A couple years ago, there was a good storm brewing before the early deer hunt. Looked like a great time to get in and hunt with what I thought would be 6-8" of snow. Long story short, it snowed for almost an entire day and dropped close to 2' of snow where I was at. I literally thought my 2-person backpacking tent was going to be my coffin that night. After looking at my options and what was realistic, I decided that calling search and rescue was the smart choice given my location and the conditions. That was a hard call to make but the helicopter ride off the mountain was AWESOME!! Smile

It happens to all of us. Glad you are safe and well!!
(12-18-2020, 02:35 AM)FatBiker Wrote: Retired for years ago and fished it two or three times a week each winter. I'm guessing it wasn't a matter of if, but a matter of when.
You are so right when it comes to Mantua, had an experience with poor ice conditions there a year ago or so. When walking out we knew conditions were not ideal because of early ice but we felt safe until the ice started to sag, we slowly backed off and went to another location. If you fish Mantua enough, it will happen sooner or later.
Wow! You're "FatBiker"? I read all your posts. I was hoping to run into you one of these days but not like that. I saw you on the news and let me tell you seeing you at home recovering has helped my heal. The last couple of days have been a little rough on me. You know what more could I have done, should I have tried to pull you out. I knew that if I tried to get any closer to you than I did I'd have broken through. That's why I belly crawled to you. Also glad your dog is OK. Hows the cut on its leg? Thats one smart dog. I opened my truck door and blasted the heater and your dog just jumped in, ploped in the passenger front seat to get warm. Again Larry so glad you're ok and glad I was there when I was to help. You have Merry Christmas and see you around in the Spring.
Glad your ok, better to lose equipment than your life. The extent of my ice fishing is reading about folks and their adventures from the comforts of warmth.

[Image: cup-of-coffee-528814833.jpg]
              CHEERS
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
Glad your ok and thanks for sharing the story, really helps for us new to the hard deck guys and seasoned people to always pay attention and have the safety gear on and out.
(12-17-2020, 02:20 PM)FatBiker Wrote: https://gf.me/u/zc26qw
  Good job on the GoFundMe.

(12-17-2020, 02:55 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Dude I can't believe it was you that went in... You're pretty ice smart... We better all take this as a warning to be extremely careful... Larry you've been an ice fisherman for as long as I've known you and have done a ton of ice fishing... I did not expect this to be someone that I consider an ice expert...  I figured it was someone that didn't know ice very well and wandered into a spring or something...........

Hey I'm sure glad you are okay, did you have picks on to help you get out?  I heard the harness and sled weighted you down and wouldn't let you get out, guess being able to get free of your sled is a good thing...  Sorry to hear you lost your gear and you're going to give up on the ice, but I don't blame you after that close of a call...  Thanks for letting us know, I think that will make all of us pay a little more attention to what we're doing when we go out..  Best of luck on your recovery... Jeff

The thing is, Jeff......well for context I work at LDSH and IMC's ERs taking CT and X-rays.  EVERY SINGLE PERSON that I've ever seen lose a finger or parts to a power tool, machinery, etc... says the same thing: "I'm that guy that is so careful, I never thought it could happen to me.  I'm the guy at has done this for 22 years and never had a scratch.  I'm the guy that is constantly telling other craftsmen there is a reason I still have 10 fingers and both my eyes." They are so ashamed, but STUFF happens. 

IT CAN HAPPEN TO ANYONE, and eventually will, if you lead an active life.  I'm sure FatBiker will have all kinds of hindsight about this, as we all will.   Lot's to learn, things to improve, and we all will.  I'm just glad he's ok. 

The ONE thing that bothers me here, is that every year we hear people preach on this web forum about ice safety and preparedness; people with years of accumulated knowledge, military and other experience, and otherwise strong and capable men.   How come nobody had the gear and know-how to help him sooner?   Even YouTube has ice-rescue videos.  I know a lot of us were Scouts.  Was he all alone o the lake?  Nobody around? 

When I was fishing Mantua on Saturday, I didn't have a rope tied around me, but I did have my rescue-spikes in my sleeves, a little rope in my sled, and a flotation device and 80' of my old tree rope in my car nearby, strong enough to drag a truck out of he lake.   Let's ALL prepare better.
(12-18-2020, 12:13 PM)styngray32 Wrote: Wow! You're "FatBiker"? I read all your posts. I was hoping to run into you one of these days  but not like that. I saw you on the news and let me tell you seeing you at home recovering has helped my heal. The last couple of days have been a little rough on me. You know what more could I have done, should I have tried to pull you out. I knew that if I tried to get any closer to you than I did I'd have broken through. That's why I belly crawled to you. Also glad your dog is OK. Hows the cut on its leg? Thats one smart dog. I opened my truck door and blasted the heater and your dog just jumped in, ploped in the passenger front seat to get warm.  Again Larry so glad you're ok and glad I was there when I was to help.  You have  Merry Christmas and see you around in the Spring.
Thanks so much for being the guy that called 911 and tried to rescue him before others go there, you very likely saved Larry's life. IMO you are a HERO for being there for him.
(12-18-2020, 04:18 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(12-18-2020, 02:35 AM)FatBiker Wrote: Retired for years ago and fished it two or three times a week each winter. I'm guessing it wasn't a matter of if, but a matter of when.
You are so right when it comes to Mantua, had an experience with poor ice conditions there a year ago or so. When walking out we knew conditions were not ideal because of early ice but we felt safe until the ice started to sag, we slowly backed off and went to another location. If you fish Mantua enough, it will happen sooner or later.
Thanks for helping. You're one of many people that are the only reason I'm here today. Dogs a good one even though she did her best to drown me.
Larry when I first heard the news on TV I immediately thought of you (Larry with a dog was the clue) not sure of your last name I wasn't sure. I kept telling my wife, that sound like Larry the guy I knew from Willard. When they showed your your face on TV It was quite clear.

I can empathize with you to some extent, as I have gone through the ice three times. Fortunately never having lost my gear though. The last time I went through was at Willard. Stupid thing is that I recognized the gray color of the ice and it being soft. I had found a honey hole that I could count on a limit of Catfish. I had fished it two times prior. It was a sure thing I could get another. I had 5 cats on the ice before it gave-way. When I felt it go, my instinct was to lunge to the side as I went down. One leg went in to the crotch. as I lay on the wet ice like a turtle on its back I got wetter. When I regained my self I saw my catch trying to get swim back into the hole. I cautiously recovered them then set down and dumped the water from my boot and rung the water from my sock. I carefully made another drop for the 6th cat then scurried home. I have never been back to that spot.

The other times weren't quite as easy and much colder.

We, Vi and I are glad you got through the ordeal and sorry for your loss. It make me sick thinking about it.

Best to ya,
Richard
I'm not sure what all rescue equipment they might want, but I just became aware of the Nebulus flotation device. https://nebulusflotation.com/ Take a gander at my Ice Safety post.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(12-19-2020, 03:00 PM)catchinon Wrote: I'm not sure what all rescue equipment they might want, but I just became aware of the Nebulus flotation device. https://nebulusflotation.com/  Take a gander at my Ice Safety post.
First off, I very glad there was a good ending for Larry. Second, that Nebulus looks awesome! As a dive shop owner and avid fisherman, redundancy is very important. As such, I hope a couple of them can be purchased for them.
I had to call in sick so I could go to Lake Powell!
I'm impressed that they can hold up a snowmobile and three people. Well-heeled snowmobilers ought to consider taking one along out on the lakes.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

I can understand being through with ice fishing after that ordeal but there is no need to give up fishing in winter all together. 

Winter flyfishing can be great.  The Weber with it's low winter flows is full of Mountain Whitefish and trout.  You can also be one of the winter dock fishers.  People that drill a hole next to docks in places like Utah State Park and Willard bay then sit on the dock and fish in the hole.

Just a couple of suggestions if you decide you need to wet a line somewhere.

The fundraiser is doing great, thanks to you.  The Mantua PD will be very happy to add this to their rescue equipment. Maybe an extra throw bag and some ice cleats are in order as well, just to keep in the patrol cars.
(12-17-2020, 02:20 PM)FatBiker Wrote: I'm the idiot that went through the ice at Mantua. I was pulling my sled out to go fishing and the ice was fine and then it wasn't. Nobody is sure how long it took to rescue me, but at least 20 minutes or a little over 30 minutes. Sorry, I forgot to check my watch. Mantua PD and a highway patrolman pulled me out, but the  Chief ended up in the water, just wearing his duty uniform. After a night in the hospital and way too many tests, I'm home and fine.  Lessons learned. Never go by yourself. I was lucky because another fisherman showed up 5 or 10 minutes after I fell in. He called 911.  Don't wear a harness to pull your sled. At some point, my pullover sled sunk. I couldn't get out of the harness and the added weight dang near killed me. Don't panic. The one thing I did right was not panic.  When I went in, I thought "shucks, this isn't good".  If you panic and struggle you'll only use up your limited energy reserves. Finally, practice risk analysis. I've got $3000 in ice fishing gear lost in the lake. Guessing the hospital and rescue bill will be $10K or more.  Just how much is a perch dinner worth? What's the price you put on your own life? Personally, my ice fishing days are done. When you go, please be prepared and careful.

https://www.abc4.com/news/utah-man-falls...ng-rescue/

Finally, the Mantua PD had a well earned bad reputation. Today, they've got a new Chief and new officers. The town can't afford rescue gear so I've started a GoFundMe to buy them equipment.

https://gf.me/u/zc26qw

glad you are still with us.