Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smith and Morehouse ice fishing questions
I have  never caught a grayling.  Are they eatable or do they taste like trout and salmon?
Good fishing to all.   Hue
Kent, been discussing this trip with Bob and I think I'll tag along. I did spend some time camping and fishing up there this summer with the family but only managed a few planter bows so some grayling and kokes thru the ice sounds like a good time. As for Burley's question, I have caught some grayling at trial but put them back. Being a member of the char family I believe, they should taste like trout.
(12-28-2020, 01:55 AM)BURLEY Wrote: I have  never caught a grayling.  Are they eatable or do they taste like trout and salmon?

I have never eaten one, so I have no idea.

(12-28-2020, 02:19 PM)Muskyon46 Wrote: Kent, been discussing this trip with Bob and I think I'll tag along. I did spend some time camping and fishing up there this summer with the family but only managed a few planter bows so some grayling and kokes thru the ice sounds like a good time. As for Burley's question, I have caught some grayling at trial but put them back. Being a member of the char family I believe, they should taste like trout.

I look forward to meeting you and if I have already met you, please forgive my halfeimers.
(12-28-2020, 02:27 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: Muskyon46Kent, been discussing this trip with Bob and I think I'll tag along. I did spend some time camping and fishing up there this summer with the family but only managed a few planter bows so some grayling and kokes thru the ice sounds like a good time. As for Burley's question, I have caught some grayling at trial but put them back. Being a member of the char family I believe, they should taste like trout.

I look forward to meeting you and if I have already met you, please forgive my halfeimers.

I don't think we have ever met but definitely have fished with the some of the same people over the years for sure. I found some cams in Oakley that may give some more insight to the weather on the ground before you get going up weber canyon to the parking area

http://oakleywebcam.com/webcams.html

http://oakleywebcam.com/
I have caught grayling and eaten them as well. They are more like a whitefish than a trout as far as eating. They are white fleshed and a bit oily but definitely edible. Generally they are fairly small so you may need a few. They also have a fairly small mouth, I have always caught them in the Uintas on a size 16 dry fly. Not sure what to fish with through the ice, but I would go small.
Arctic Grayling ARE a member of the salmon family.

Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
Class: Actinopterygii
Order: Salmoniformes
Family: Salmonidae
Genus: Thymallus
Species: T. arcticus

Their taste description is as follows: Similar texture to whitefish, similar taste to trout, and the texture is light, fluffy, and flaky.  It is best eaten FRESH - in other words cook it where you catch it.  For a complete description, go here: What Does The Arctic Grayling Taste Like?.

I pressure canned about 10 tins worth in Alaska in 1975 and the canned meat made excellent sandwiches when prepared like canned tuna.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Thanks for the Grayling comments. I didn't plan on keeping any fish anyway. 
 Are there any snow machines other than Dubobs and my snowdogs coming?
(12-28-2020, 10:40 PM)BURLEY Wrote: Thanks for the Grayling comments. I didn't plan on keeping any fish anyway. 

I will be joining Shawn on his snowmobile.
(12-28-2020, 10:40 PM)BURLEY Wrote: Thanks for the Grayling comments. I didn't plan on keeping any fish anyway. 
If my machines are done, I'll have a couple. I'm also dragging the kids and wife along.

They received 3 inches of new snow earlier this week and I'm sure are getting more, today. I'll follow up with my cousin and see how much snow they get today/tonight, but I wouldn't plan on driving a vehicle to the lake. He did say the extra holiday traffic on the road has packed it down some.

Also, I've caught and ate a lot of grayling out of varying Uinta lakes. I think they taste amazingly good with a very mild white meat. A few years ago we hiked our tubes into Alan lake and were catching them 2 at a time and as fast as you could get your nymphs out. Cooking them on the fire that night was probably one of the best backing meals I've ever had.

We'll have my sled and a chained up wheeler
Sounds like we have everything except an Argo. Going to be quite the parade.