Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice Rods for Big Lake Trout
Hey Everybody,

It has been awhile since I have been on here, but I was curious what everyone's thoughts are on ice rods for lake trout. I am talking about up to 40 pound lakers that are found in Fishlake. I know alot of people use there normal 7 foot open water rods, but would a 42 inch, heavy power, fast action ice rod be enough to bring in one of these beasts? I also have a 42 inch medium heavy rod as well. Thanks for the help and advice in advance!
42 inch heavy would be fine. I've used 4ft rods on Flaming Gorge for big lakers with no issues. I would be wary of fast action graphite rods though. Graphite doesn't like very cold temps. Combined with a big fish the rod could crack. I've had it happen. Look for a medium action. I think an Ugly stick in the 4ft range medium heavy or heavy would also work just fine for ice fishing.
Never bought one, but thorn bros make some short sturdy 42 to 50 inch rods. I own Jim's laker rods, but never used them ice fishing. They are under 50 inches and work great.
(12-20-2020, 12:10 AM)Doubletreble22 Wrote: Hey Everybody,

It has been awhile since I have been on here, but I was curious what everyone's thoughts are on ice rods for lake trout. I am talking about up to 40 pound lakers that are found in Fishlake. I know alot of people use there normal 7 foot open water rods, but would a 42 inch, heavy power, fast action ice rod be enough to bring in one of these beasts? I also have a 42 inch medium heavy rod as well. Thanks for the help and advice in advance!
I use 58 "rods that I have had great success with. I use them out of the boat and on the ice.
I've been using the jason mitchell mackinaw rods in 38-42in and have been very pleased so far. Just need to get something bigger than pup class on them though lol