Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Snowmobiles at Scofield?
I’ve searched recent posts and can’t find anything in this. We’re headed up to Scofield tomorrow and wondering if anyone has any updates the use of snowmobiles or four wheelers out in the ice.

We were there a week ago and fished Madsen Bay with like 10” of ice but we’d like to get our farther away from any crowds.

Any info would be appreciated. ??
I was up there Saturday at the state park area with my snowdog. People reported 8-10 over the area. I did see 2 snowmobiles and 2 other snowdogs. I was told to beware of the pressure ridges of which there are several. Not knowing what "be careful" means, I crossed my first and was welcomed with some cracking noise. That is probably normal, but for my first time on the ice with a machine, my butt puckered. Hope this helps.
Good fishing to all.   Hue
Anyone been to the island on snowmobiles?
I had to call in sick so I could go to Lake Powell!
I was thinking of taking my ATV to Scofield tomorrow, but it was pretty warm Sunday and Monday and then snowed yesterday. Anyone go up there yesterday or today and know what the snow and slush on Scofield is like? Not that its a big deal but I don't want to take my ATV just to leave it on the trailer.
(12-23-2020, 03:41 PM)lonefisherman Wrote: I was thinking of taking my ATV to Scofield tomorrow, but it was pretty warm Sunday and Monday and then snowed yesterday. Anyone go up there yesterday or today and know what the snow and slush on Scofield is like? Not that its a big deal but I don't want to take my ATV just to leave it on the trailer.
I was up there yesterday with my snowmobile.  There are a few slush spots in places but they were small and less than a couple inches thick.  When I left in the afternoon they were frozen over and I went right over them without even hitting the slush.  The Ice is at least 7 inches thick and very solid where I was ( took off from the ramp at Madsen Bay).  I stayed within 100 feet of the shore so I can't say what it was like in the middle of the lake but there were tracks pretty much all over the lake.  It snowed a couple of inches while I was there and was still snowing when I left.  There was about 4 inches of snow over the black ice.  The snow is not frozen to the ice so it is still very slick.  I had trouble getting the snow machine pulling the sled started as the snow just blew away under the paddles and hit sheer ice.  Might not be a bad idea to have chains on the ATV if you are pulling a sled.  Fishing was incredible.  Fished in 18 fow and caught fish all over the collum.  I stopped counting after 40 and actually got tired of catching and went home about 3:00.  I was using a 1.5 inch white paddle bug tipped with some sucker meat and then some white with sparkle Power Bait when I ran out of sucker meat.
(12-23-2020, 06:16 PM)Fisharefriends Wrote:
(12-23-2020, 03:41 PM)lonefisherman Wrote: I was thinking of taking my ATV to Scofield tomorrow, but it was pretty warm Sunday and Monday and then snowed yesterday. Anyone go up there yesterday or today and know what the snow and slush on Scofield is like? Not that its a big deal but I don't want to take my ATV just to leave it on the trailer.
I was up there yesterday with my snowmobile.  There are a few slush spots in places but they were small and less than a couple inches thick.  When I left in the afternoon they were frozen over and I went right over them without even hitting the slush.  The Ice is at least 7 inches thick and very solid where I was ( took off from the ramp at Madsen Bay).  I stayed within 100 feet of the shore so I can't say what it was like in the middle of the lake but there were tracks pretty much all over the lake.  It snowed a couple of inches while I was there and was still snowing when I left.  There was about 4 inches of snow over the black ice.  The snow is not frozen to the ice so it is still very slick.  I had trouble getting the snow machine pulling the sled started as the snow just blew away under the paddles and hit sheer ice.  Might not be a bad idea to have chains on the ATV if you are pulling a sled.  Fishing was incredible.  Fished in 18 fow and caught fish all over the collum.  I stopped counting after 40 and actually got tired of catching and went home about 3:00.  I was using a 1.5 inch white paddle bug tipped with some sucker meat and then some white with sparkle Power Bait when I ran out of sucker meat.
Thanks for the info! And the fishing report. That really helps.