Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Sportsman's Warehouse
Has been bought out by Bass Pro shop

Bass Pro parent to acquire Sportsman's Warehouse | Retail Dive
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
(12-22-2020, 06:39 PM)Bduck Wrote: Has been bought out by Bass Pro shop

Well that's too bad, IMO Bass Pro shops are overpriced and Sportsmans was the only local place where prices were decent, guess that will change now. Guess they are buying up all their competition.
I'm not happy to hear this, I think it is going to reduce competition, raise prices, reduce selection and lead to fewer locations. I Like Bass Pro/Cabellas but I love Sportsman's Warehouse, it is where I buy the majority of my tackle because they had the best prices. What good is a price match guaranty if theirs no one to match.
Yeah that sucks.

Thankfully there are plenty of places online to get what I want.
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.

If you have been in a Sportsman's Warehouse lately then you know how much they are struggling to keep their shelves stocked.  It has been pretty pathetic.  Hopefully this will shore up their supply chain and I can actually find what I need.
i definitely would pay a buck or two more to support my small local companies. that's what America is all about isn't it! #keepitlocal
Well I've really liked Sportsman Warehouse but they have been pretty high priced themselves, I've been going there for selection not so much price... I'm Sad to see them all under the same big money management, I'm sure they will be much harder to work with for contest prizes and etc... I've never been able to figure out why Sportsman's price on PowerPro line is over ten dollars more than Walmart's, but as long as you know where to buy which products it's been fine... Now I'm afraid things will get more expensive and since there isn't a big selection of good products in most other stores, I'll probably end up paying more or sending my money out of state to on-line sources... Hope they leave the management a little more local, but probably won't... Maybe this will be the start of more smaller sporting good dealers again... Hope so... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
I live in Logan, so I rarely make it to Cabelas. I was curious when BPS bought them out, but I was in a Cabelas last week and wasn't really excited by prices. I have always liked Sportsmans selection, but again, price has not been something I would list as a net positive for some time. Sadly, I don't know how a smaller, local shop can compete with the buying power of a giant like that. Customer loyalty and a willingness to support local businesses is the only hope, but too many of us will still likely follow the best price and selection.
(12-22-2020, 09:11 PM)gaardvark Wrote: I live in Logan, so I rarely make it to Cabelas. I was curious when BPS bought them out, but I was in a Cabelas last week and wasn't really excited by prices. I have always liked Sportsmans selection, but again, price has not been something I would list as a net positive for some time. Sadly, I don't know how a smaller, local shop can compete with the buying power of a giant like that. Customer loyalty and a willingness to support local businesses is the only hope, but too many of us will still likely follow the best price and selection.
Yup I'm probably guilty of that, I try to stretch my dollars as far as I can... Wish I had plenty so cost wasn't an option, but unfortunately I have to watch where every dollar goes...  So for big purchases, I'm sure I'd be watching for a great deal to show up, which usually would come from a Reed's, Cabela's or FishUSA type sale... Day to day items though I'd support a smaller local store, but it's probably hard to make a living selling jigs and bait... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Scheels prices is better than cabelas even if they are the same item on sale. I try to catch the items I want when they go on sale at Scheels like ice braids, monofilament, and ice jigs.

Shop small, the local dealers, either in person or on-line.  Let Cabelas/BP/SH hang out to dry.  They don't have the goods most of the time anyway.
Looks like I will be making the long drive to Smith and Edwards more often in the future.
Sure wish that we still had Kent's or the old Sunset Sports Stores back.
It would be nice to shop at a sporting goods store that catered to our local needs.
I often use another option.
There are lots of sporting good products you can buy at Walmart on line and have sent to the local store for pickup, no shipping cost.

Well darn. Sportsmans Whse is only a mile from me. Maybe support locals like Fish Tech. more often
While I am also disappointed at this news, there are some very good people at both SWH snd Cabelas that I enjoy chatting with. I don't have a problem going in to say hi and grabbing a tub of worms on my way out.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Anglers Den is another local shop in Northern Utah that I'll be supporting more once BPS take over SW.
Yep, heard that's why they didn't have anything in stock this summer. Prices will be going up.
DANG
I started shopping at SW way back when there was the first store in Midvale. He moved like 1 or 2 doors South to a bigger building and then put in his new store a block or so East. I loved that larger store. (most likely still there but we moved south 100+ miles so have been using Provo store since)
Those were the days!!!!!!! There was nothing but service and great people to help me with my fishing addiction.

As soon as he sold out it has been nothing but down hill in my opinion. It was alright for a few years but a slow fall like a 64th ounce jig on 10 pound test. Slowly sinking.
Looks as though the jig is reaching mud at the bottom.

Wonder if this covid crap was the last straw.

(12-22-2020, 10:16 PM)Tarponjim Wrote:

Shop small, the local dealers, either in person or on-line.  Let Cabelas/BP/SH hang out to dry.  They don't have the goods most of the time anyway.
I'm with ya on this one!!!!!!

(12-22-2020, 10:54 PM)GrandpaD 2020 Wrote: Looks like I will be making the long drive to Smith and Edwards more often in the future.
Sure wish that we still had Kent's or the old Sunset Sports Stores back.
It would be nice to shop at a sporting goods store that catered to our local needs.
   Isnt there a Smith & Edwards now out on Redwood Rd and 7200 so. I thought I saw a store front last week when driving. ?