Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rockport ice check
I stopped on my way to work tonight to see if the ice on Rockport had any thickness. One strike with the spud bar and right through. It might be one inch or less at best at the dam, so I will probably give it two weeks to attempt to get on it. 
Gabe
Second report i have heard of very risky ice there. I drove East Canyon. Not much going on there either
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(12-24-2020, 01:18 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote: Second  report i have heard of very risky ice there. I drove East Canyon. Not much going on there either
I talked to a gentleman the other day at Mantua and he had fished echo last weekend and said there was 6 to 7 inches of ice with a grundle  of small perch biting. My oldest son and I have had fun with the bluegill on Mantua the last couple days but you have to weed thru alot of small ones. The ones we have kept run 8 1/2 to 9 inches with several going over 10. Lots of people fishing there this AM. Merry Christmas to everyone and I'm hoping 2021 is a better year for all of us.
Thanks for the report PACFAN. Some of us have been leary of Mantua after the fall-through. What is your take on ice conditions now?
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

I didn't check the ice but I fish right next to the landfill next to Rockport and it reached 0 this morning and didn't get above freezing today it is currently 13 degrees and dropping at the moment. Ice will be safe by Sunday at this rate
DWR on Facebook posted about safe ice 6” IIRC. Still some open water but out from the dam looked ok.
(12-24-2020, 09:12 PM)catchinon Wrote: Thanks for the report PACFAN. Some of us have been leary of Mantua after the fall-through. What is your take on ice conditions now?
I was at Mantua Saturday afternoon and the ice is around 6" think out about 100 yards from the boat ramp. There were lots of tents there, even in the area where the guy fell through!