Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming Gorge ice near Confluence
Anyone have any reports on Gorge ice near the confluence or downstream. Much appreciated.
I track ice conditions there via Facebook page “Flaming Gorge Ice fishing”. From multiple posts it seems Firehole has safe ice, not sure how far south, but saw something about no ice to speak of at Buckboard.

jack of all tackle, master of none
My friend fished the confluence yesterday on six inches of ice. He said that there was open water not to far south of there. He also said that fishing was SLOW. Only seen a few fish caught out of everybody that was fishing around him.
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
As said above there are people fishing as far as the confluence (Road 11) the ice can be very inconsistence this time of year so check it regularly as you go. Fishing farther up stream in the blacks or green arm will provide thicker ice for sure.
Thanks for the updates!
I fished there on Saturday and the ice we fished was 8-inches.  It can be variable in there though, so definitely check as you go.  There were a lot of anglers on the ice too.  The ice sheet ended at Confluence Point, so the end of Forest Service road 11 was open water.  There were portions starting to skim over, from there down to Currant Creek, and from Buckboard south to the dam its still open water.  The ice was pretty polished, so bring your cleats.

Fishing was good for small lake trout in about 60ft of water and the occasional rainbow just under the ice (10-20ft).  Most of the lake trout we caught were coming through suspended around 30-45ft.  Minnow or rap style baits worked best for us (for example Jigging Raps) tipped with a small chunk of bait.  We caught a few fish on tubes, grubs, etc. as well.

Hope it helps, Ryno
Thanks for the updates!
Everyone always talks about fishing up the green are like around firehole, but not so much the black, is the black arm still good fishing for lakers and burbot or not so much?