Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
newton 12/26 utah lake 12/27
hit newton Saturday, fished with jig-fisher over on the west side, we got into the crappie, i got some perch, bluegill, and one largemouth, didnt see anyone else from the group i heard they were over fishing by the dam after all, oh well maybe next time.
yesterday 12-27-2020 me and a few buddies from outta town headed down to Utah lake in the am, fished the Saratoga marina for a few hours, about 6or 7 inches of ice to be found, 4 tents and about 35 people on the ice in the marina, seemed like everyone was slowly catching perch and white bass, we got about 30 and decided to head to the main lake for something bigger, after talking to tube dude about some catfish spots i decided lets go try by the knolls, we drove down to the parking area wandered out and punched a hole about a hundred yards out, 2" of clear ice, cracking with every step we took, after a few jumps and rock slams on it we decided lets try it, so we wandered all the way south to the rocky point and found open water  Sad decided lets punch a hole.... 1" of ice is all that was there, after i drilled a hole where i was standing started sinking and water flooding the top of the ice, after decided that wouldn't work we slowly worked out way back to the truck and ended up at settlement reservoir in Tooele where we slammed the rainbows till dark and went home to a hot pot roast ready to eat.
Fritz, you scare me going out on ice that thin. I'd like to get to fish with you again. Speaking of which, how thick was the ice at Settlement? Was it only rainbows you got?
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Ya only rainbows, was probably a good 7" at settlement. Its only 7 degrees right now so just getting thicker! I called my buddy down in garrison he says the lake is ready I just gotta find time to wander down there

[Image: 37326.jpg]

[Image: 37337.jpg]

[Image: 37336.jpg]

[Image: 37314.jpg]
Man you're lucky to not be wet on 1" of ice.... Must be a lot skinnier than me too.... 2" is scary and very easy to have issues, anything less you're looking for a bath, thank heavens for new black ice, it can make up for our missteps... Glad you didn't have the misfortune find you... Sorry I missed you guys at Newton on the 26th... So many people though it was tough to recognize anyone... I tried to fly my BFT flag, but Sean said it blended in with the snow and couldn't be seen anyway... Maybe next time we should pass out some phone numbers so we can touch base.. Stay safe and good luck... J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Well, Jeff, I had the phone numbers for just about every person there and was looking forward to keeping us all in touch, but then I left my phone in my pickup when I transfered to Brett's vehicle for the ride up. Boy was I disappointed. Plus, my wife gets worried when she can't reach me.

On ice thickness: Scientific studies have determined that 1.1" will hold a 175 pound person up, but that they break through at 1.0". Talk about cutting it thin.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

im a skinny 230, but feel like 140!
Man...bigger cahones than me! I hope you wear a dry suit.
i bought these floating strike ice bibs and gotta put them to the test! i fell through at utah lake and yuba but that was before i had the bibs.