Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pineview smallie tips?
Seen Pineview is getting close to being fishable, just wondering if anyone has had any luck fishing smallies through the ice? I know they're in there I just can never find them in the winter, if anyone has some tips or advice I'd appreciate it..PM me if you don't wanna give the secrets away to everybody haha..thank you in advance, and tight lines to all!
Well, It wasn't on Pineview, but it should be similar as far as finding smallies. I was on Rockport last winter and scored smallmouth out in depths of 40-50 ft just off the bottom. I would be catching perch and the smallmouth would move in randomly and hit my perch offerings. They are a hoot to catch through the ice. They don't fight as well as they do in open water, but still fun. They don't seem to be to affected by coming up from the deep depths like the perch and crappie do. Their systems must be tougher and can handle the big pressure changes. So try those depths in rocky bottom areas and you should find some smallies there. My two cents...
Gabe
(12-28-2020, 07:50 PM)Freakyfisherman Wrote: Well, It wasn't on Pineview, but it should be similar as far as finding smallies. I was on Rockport last winter and scored smallmouth out in depths of 40-50 ft just off the bottom. I would be catching perch and the smallmouth would move in randomly and hit my perch offerings. They are a hoot to catch through the ice. They don't fight as well as they do in open water, but still fun. They don't seem to be to affected by coming up from the deep depths like the perch and crappie do. Their systems must be tougher and can handle the big pressure changes. So try those depths in rocky bottom areas and you should find some smallies there. My two cents...
Gabe
Hell yea, I appreciate you taking the time to share that with me, maybe I'll get down in the narrows by the damn and see if I can't pick something up..thanks again!
(12-28-2020, 07:54 PM)Fishlord367 Wrote:
(12-28-2020, 07:50 PM)Freakyfisherman Wrote: Well, It wasn't on Pineview, but it should be similar as far as finding smallies. I was on Rockport last winter and scored smallmouth out in depths of 40-50 ft just off the bottom. I would be catching perch and the smallmouth would move in randomly and hit my perch offerings. They are a hoot to catch through the ice. They don't fight as well as they do in open water, but still fun. They don't seem to be to affected by coming up from the deep depths like the perch and crappie do. Their systems must be tougher and can handle the big pressure changes. So try those depths in rocky bottom areas and you should find some smallies there. My two cents...
Gabe
Hell yea, I appreciate you taking the time to share that with me, maybe I'll get down in the narrows by the damn and see if I can't pick something up..thanks again!
Just make sure to wait a week or two. Its not safe there yet and may not be frozen all the way. Think spoons when you are thinking smallies. Just another tip
Gabe
(12-28-2020, 09:10 PM)Freakyfisherman Wrote: Just make sure to wait a week or two. Its not safe there yet and may not be frozen all the way. Think spoons when you are thinking smallies. Just another tip
Gabe
Yep - check out my post on my drive by on Saturday.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(12-28-2020, 09:10 PM)Freakyfisherman Wrote:
(12-28-2020, 07:54 PM)Fishlord367 Wrote:
Gabe
Just make sure to wait a week or two. Its not safe there yet and may not be frozen all the way. Think spoons when you are thinking smallies. Just another tip
Gabe
Yea, I was gonna give it a bit..ive fished Browning out there mostly, and I fish about 45-50 for crappie but never picked up any bass..do you know what the bottom they keep to in winter is like? Like do they keep to the rip rap, or move out to flat bottoms or anything? Ill rig up some spoons, I also have a few of the Acme Hyperglides that I'm hoping will pick a few up..

(12-28-2020, 09:43 PM)dubob Wrote:
(12-28-2020, 09:10 PM)Freakyfisherman Wrote: Just make sure to wait a week or two. Its not safe there yet and may not be frozen all the way. Think spoons when you are thinking smallies. Just another tip
Gabe
Yep - check out my post on my drive by on Saturday.
Already on it haha! Thanks for the update it really helped, I usually fish Browning, so maybe if I can't get any bass yet ill see how the crappie bite is, I wish I could find some jumbo or bluegill again, its been a few years since they had a good year out there..anyway, thanks again for the info!
I bet it's been 12 years but we got some pretty good pan sized bluegill... the big ole hump headed ones in the dam arm area theyre probably long gone now
There have been quite a few smallmouths caught through the ice at Pineview...but not very many on purpose.  They usually just wander in to feed on whatever the crappies or perch are eating and open their mouths at the wrong time...for them.  So, as a general rule, if you are seeing fish on sonar you have at least a marginal chance of hitting a smallie.  Fishing with spoons, blade baits, rattlin' crank baits or craw plastics will increase the odds for a smallie but reduce your catch of the other species.

Smallies go deep under the ice.  Don't know of anybody who has caught one in less than about 40 feet of water.  And while they do not  go dormant, they are also not very active.  Their metabolism slows down and they eat less often.  But you can sometimes jig up a reaction bite.

Also, you will do better near rocks...either on the bottom or nearby as a cafeteria for crawdads.

If you tip lures with bait, plain old crawlers will work fine.  But a piece of perch meat is okay too.  And if you use scent, try crawdad flavor.
(12-28-2020, 11:48 PM)TubeDude Wrote: There have been quite a few smallmouths caught through the ice at Pineview...but not very many on purpose.  They usually just wander in to feed on whatever the crappies or perch are eating and open their mouths at the wrong time...for them.  So, as a general rule, if you are seeing fish on sonar you have at least a marginal chance of hitting a smallie.  Fishing with spoons, blade baits, rattlin' crank baits or craw plastics will increase the odds for a smallie but reduce your catch of the other species.

Smallies go deep under the ice.  Don't know of anybody who has caught one in less than about 40 feet of water.  And while they do not  go dormant, they are also not very active.  Their metabolism slows down and they eat less often.  But you can sometimes jig up a reaction bite.

Also, you will do better near rocks...either on the bottom or nearby as a cafeteria for crawdads.

If you tip lures with bait, plain old crawlers will work fine.  But a piece of perch meat is okay too.  And if you use scent, try crawdad flavor.
Wow! Thank you for commenting, this is exactly what I was looking for..ill be sure to post if I happen to get lucky this season!

(12-28-2020, 11:42 PM)Fritzfishin Wrote: I bet it's been 12 years but we got some pretty good pan sized bluegill... the big ole hump headed ones in the dam arm area theyre probably long gone now
We caught a few 8-9 inchers like 6 years ago and that was the last time I even seen a Gill in there, and I fish it quite regularly..
(12-28-2020, 11:42 PM)Fritzfishin Wrote: I bet it's been 12 years but we got some pretty good pan sized bluegill... the big ole hump headed ones in the dam arm area theyre probably long gone now
  I catch a few really nice big bluegill every spring, while fishing for either perch or crappies in the weeds.   There are some good ones in there, but must be farther between than we like.