Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newton crappie suggestions?
I fished Newton for the first time 2 Sunday's ago on the 20th. My time was limited due to a family emergency. I did some hole hopping down by the damn accessing from the west side. I moved 5 or 6 times and could only find small perch. I might be able to try it again this week and was wondering about different spots, tactics or depths to try for crappie and access?
We fished 38 feet and caught a bunch within 5 feet of the bottom, white cuttetbugs white gizzy bugs and a few on a chrome spoon
I was up there Saturday, and again today. Today I did some hole hopping early on the west side, looking in 35-40 feet of water, but couldn't see anything on sonar, and couldn't jig anything up. Since I had kids with me, it didn't take long before we decided to simply set up where I was catching perch on Saturday. Perch were the exclusive catch both Saturday and again today. I dropped lines all over the main bay, but never saw anything to suggest there were crappie down any of the holes.

If Hyrum doesn't freeze safe quickly, I'll be back to Newton again, maybe as soon as tomorrow, so any advice on finding them is welcome.
We fished the west side on Saturday

[Image: 20201226-111145.jpg]
You can refer to my report from Saturday.  I was close to Fritzfishin.  38' was the depth and they were biting well. I used waxies and spikes to tip my offerings.  Although when they were in thick I dropped an un-baited jigging minnow lure and caught my two largest.

Just keep searching or even jig those supposedly vacant holes for a bit.  When I first drilled the only fish below me were small perch.  But the crappie moved in a little later and it was game on.
My news is older, but one thing I did notice on the crappie, they were right on the bottom (well about a foot off bottom) and I thought they were perch on the finder, but they sure fight a lot better... And I was in 39' FOW and they came in after I'd been fishing the hole for ten or 15 minutes... I didn't get the huge numbers, but I got 6 the one day and 3 the other... I probably should have moved more, but remember to be a little quiet for the best luck with crappie... Even when they are deep I think it helps... All the noise of punching holes I think scatters the crappie and you have to wait for them to regroup... Good luck... Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!