Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Echo - 29 Dec 2020
Went out this morning to Echo with my dad.  Hit the ice a little after 8:00am.  Left around 1:30pm.  We set up and drilled some holes a ways south of the boat ramp.  We were in about 18-20 FOW.  We were trying to target trout.  However, we found that if we dropped our lures to the bottom tipped with shrimp, we were pulling up mostly perch pretty consistently.  If it slowed down, jigging a bit would pique their interest.  Smaller ones mostly (6in or less) with a couple nicer ones (over 8in).  

Didn't have much luck finding the trout.  We were suspending our lines at 5ft, 10ft, 12ft and shifting depths and drilling new holes closer to the shore or further out trying to find the shelf from time to time.  Occasional flashes on the fish finder, but nothing consistent.  Finally hooked into a rainbow (he was fat, albeit only about 10-11in) while jigging for the perch just above bottom around 16ft.  Had another one on the line, but he shook off.  Caught the trout on a white paddlebug tipped with shrimp.  The perch were biting anything and everything we had (didn't matter color or anything) as long as it was tipped with shrimp.

Definitely a weird day for us out there.  Haven't ever had one like it.  But weather was great!  Not sure if this will be helpful for anyone, but thought I would share either way.  Good luck out there!
~ A bad day fishing is better than a good day in the office ~
(12-29-2020, 10:31 PM)Bertrum13 Wrote: Went out this morning to Echo with my dad.  Hit the ice a little after 8:00am.  Left around 1:30pm.  We set up and drilled some holes a ways south of the boat ramp.  We were in about 18-20 FOW.  We were trying to target trout.  However, we found that if we dropped our lures to the bottom tipped with shrimp, we were pulling up mostly perch pretty consistently.  If it slowed down, jigging a bit would pique their interest.  Smaller ones mostly (6in or less) with a couple nicer ones (over 8in).  

Didn't have much luck finding the trout.  We were suspending our lines at 5ft, 10ft, 12ft and shifting depths and drilling new holes closer to the shore or further out trying to find the shelf from time to time.  Occasional flashes on the fish finder, but nothing consistent.  Finally hooked into a rainbow (he was fat, albeit only about 10-11in) while jigging for the perch just above bottom around 16ft.  Had another one on the line, but he shook off.  Caught the trout on a white paddlebug tipped with shrimp.  The perch were biting anything and everything we had (didn't matter color or anything) as long as it was tipped with shrimp.

Definitely a weird day for us out there.  Haven't ever had one like it.  But weather was great!  Not sure if this will be helpful for anyone, but thought I would share either way.  Good luck out there!
We hit Echo this morning (-1 F when we got on the ice at 8:00am). Set up down by the dam in about 14 feet of water. Drilled four holes and only got a few light bites on our jigs tipped with meal worms. Thinking they were small Perch and not trout. Went home with zero fish. Disappointing, as we have had very good days with lots of fat trout over the years. Interested to hear if others have had similar experiences.

TiteLines
I appreciated the report, but let me also congratulate you on not only the proper usage, but the proper spelling of the word "piqued".
Ditto. It really piques me when someone spells it "peaks".
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(12-30-2020, 02:27 PM)catchinon Wrote: Ditto. It really piques me when someone spells it "peaks".
Dammed right.
Haha!  Glad I didn't pique anyone by misspelling pique. Do you think anyone living on a peak will have their interest piqued by this post enough to give it a peek?
~ A bad day fishing is better than a good day in the office ~
No wonder English is such a hard language to learn! Ample evidence here Smile
English IS weird. It can be understood through tough thorough thought though.
Per Will Rogers

On spelling. “When I first started out to write and misspelled a few words, people said I was plain ignorant. But when I got all the words wrong, they declared I was a humorist.”
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead.

Thanks for the report.
We sluffed school and went fishing down to the slough. Are truck was slewing all around when we went threw the mud. We slew the white bass. We caught a whole slew of them. It just slew me when Colton slipped and fell in. Nuff said. Oh, my Chevies for sell if your entrusted.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.