Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Lake ice thickness request, and Echo Reservoir report
Looking to ice fish Utah Lake tomorrow. Anyone know the ice thickness at the state park or Lincoln Beach? Any spots you would recommend instead?

Also, was at Echo Reservoir today. Ice was 10 inches where I was. About 200 yards from shore, and somewhere between the boat ramp and the dam. 60 perch total. Maybe 6 or 7 that would have been worth keeping. Rest in the 3-6 inch range.
State park ice thickness on Sunday was 4.5-5” in the marinas. My wife’s cousin fished Saratoga Springs on Monday and had better luck than we did. Not sure on ice thickness there.
I may hit Provo Boat Harbor (Utah Lake State Park) bright and early tomorrow. There has been about 4" of ice, but I haven't been there since Christmas Eve. At that time, people had ventured all over the harbor and out into the channel. Hope to get out there a ways myself. I have caught white bass, perch, bluegill, and a largemouth bass there so far this winter. Would like to add crappie, northern pike, catfish, and/or walleye. Heck, I'd even be glad to catch a carp or junesucker.

You can check the webcam for live view.

https://stateparks.utah.gov/parks/utah-l...onditions/

I think all of the harbors/marinas are frozen over (see UDWR fishing report). Good luck wherever you decide to go!

jack of all tackle, master of none
I fished at the state park this evening, ice thickness is about 4". I fished standing on the ice and it feels solid. Also seen other fishermen standing on the ice fishing. Catching is not fast in the evening, but it should be better during ddaytime.
Saratoga had about 6" on Sunday, main lake didn't have safe ice yet
I fished multiple places at Utah Lake yesterday. Started at the state park the ice was safe at 4.5" set up in the harbor channel. water was average 7 to 8 feet deep. (Surprised because I thought it was dredged awhile back to be deeper). Had one little bite in 4 hours despite moving around from just a few feet off shore to almost the red channel markers out with 4 rods between me and my wife. We decided to head to American Fork Boat Harbor and glad we did ended up with a half a bucket of 11" white bass from the docks since the ice was not a safe thickness at only about 1". The white bass are hungry and had empty bellies if you aren't getting bites or marking fish move to a different spot because they will bite anything if they are there. I released all the smaller white bass and all the perch to keep the kitties and eyes fed up. I live 5 minutes from echo and if you are targeting Jumbos despite the population on the deck I suggest fishing the deepest spot off of a contour of the shoreline otherwise called a basin. In these places I have harvested my biggest perch and consistent browns chasing the perch even a Facebook live of a brown chasing a perch to the hole when the ice was clear. (My kids thought it was the coolest thing ever). Anyway hope my info helps.
[Image: 3774.jpg] [Image: 1218201136a.jpg] [Image: 1214201354b.jpg] [Image: 1212201343.jpg] [Image: 1212201229.jpg] [Image: 1212201144b.jpg] [Image: 1212201144.jpg]
Glad to hear the WB are still getting after it. I would like to hit them again soon, but ducks are calling my name tomorrow. I think I have the wife convinced to head out on New Years though. Even if for just a few hours. When I've been there (State Park), the best bite seems to be between 10-2.

I tell you what, the ceviche has been good!!
Hate to rain on your parade but the fishing in Provo Harbor was pretty slow today. I got skunked fishing from 9:30 till noon in the same places and same ways that have been working. My brother caught a few but no one else around us caught any while I was there. Hopefully it was just a one-day thing and they'll warm up again.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(12-30-2020, 11:07 PM)catchinon Wrote: Hate to rain on your parade but the fishing in Provo Harbor was pretty slow today. I got skunked fishing from 9:30 till noon in the same places and same ways that have been working. My brother caught a few but no one else around us caught any while I was there.  Hopefully it was just a one-day thing and they'll warm up again.
I was there today too, probably saw you. I caught 25 fish total. 20 perch, mostly in the 5-6 inch range. Only four or five white bass, which is what I went there for. I was there from 7:30-3:30.
We were marking some fish but couldn't get many to bite. I probably didn't move around enough. I've been told that the wb head out into the open lake in January. Anybody confirm that?
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(12-31-2020, 03:32 PM)catchinon Wrote: We were marking some fish but couldn't get many to bite. I probably didn't move around enough. I've been told that the wb head out into the open lake in January. Anybody confirm that?
Once the lake completely freezes the white bass do roam away from the protected harbors. You will still catch them just not by the bucketfull. Sometimes a school will move in and all of the above goes out the door.
I would really like to catch some crappie there. Anybody have ideas or suggestions?

(12-31-2020, 10:53 PM)catchinon Wrote: I would really like to catch some crappie there. Anybody have ideas or suggestions?
Crappies are definitely not as plentiful as white bass.  But there are roving schools that can provide some action.  And some of them may exceed 12".  They are a lot more structure oriented than white bass so you will usually do better fishing around and under the docks.  Also, they tend to suspend up off the bottom so you have to make good use of your sonar.  Always fish just above them.  They will rise to take a jig but almost never move down for something below them.

Those who specialize in crappie catchin' usually move around, drilling holes and sending down the transducer to see if anybody's home.  Good to wait a few minutes after the commotion of the drill.  But if there is nothing there, keep moving until you find something.

Also, for what it's worth, bank tanglers were picking up some crappie under bobbers just out off the point of the rocks at the harbor entrance...just before iceup.  Might still be some hanging around out there...right along the edge of the dredged channel.