Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mantua - 12/29
Hit Mantua with my son, brother, his son, and his BIL.  Started fishing about 15 minutes after light and stayed until 12:30.  We fished the SE corner of the lake in 6-8' of water.  The evening before, the BIL slayed them there. and had a nice mixed bag of trout, perch, bluegill, and LMB.  I wondered if the magic would last till morning...and it didn't.  Fishing was slow but steady from outset until about 10:30am, then it died out considerably.  Main fish caught were trout.  Fewest caught was 3 in the group.  Most was 18.  A couple gills and 4 nice perch rounded out the catching.  It is looking to be a good year for bigger perch.  Those caught yesterday were in the 11" range.  Wish we could have found their clones, but they were not to be found...and we punched alot of holes.

No one else on the ice that I spoke to was lighting it up either.  Most catching the occasional trout passing through.
Thanks for the report, sounds like I pretty good day. Any size to the trout?
(12-30-2020, 09:03 PM)MWScott72 Wrote: Hit Mantua with my son, brother, his son, and his BIL.  Started fishing about 15 minutes after light and stayed until 12:30.  We fished the SE corner of the lake in 6-8' of water.  The evening before, the BIL slayed them there. and had a nice mixed bag of trout, perch, bluegill, and LMB.  I wondered if the magic would last till morning...and it didn't.  Fishing was slow but steady from outset until about 10:30am, then it died out considerably.  Main fish caught were trout.  Fewest caught was 3 in the group.  Most was 18.  A couple gills and 4 nice perch rounded out the catching.  It is looking to be a good year for bigger perch.  Those caught yesterday were in the 11" range.  Wish we could have found their clones, but they were not to be found...and we punched alot of holes.

No one else on the ice that I spoke to was lighting it up either.  Most catching the occasional trout passing through.
My son and I spent several good mornings at Mantua last week catching several hundred bluegills between us each morning but you had to weed thru them to get some large enough to fillet. The last morning we fished it was on the 24th in the morning from daybreak until about 11 AM we were joined by my other Son, his wife and their two boys, great morning with lots of bluegill being caught My young grandsons 14 and 12 had a blast. [Image: ice-fishing-Mantua-dec-2020.jpg]
Wow Pete, you guys really kicked butt, way to go. If you don't mind me asking, how deep of water were you fishing in?
Wiperhunter-
A couple of the trout were 14-15". Everything else was 11-12" planters.