Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mantua ice today, Dec. 30
Great to read some good ice fishing reports for Northern Utah...pretty sure all will get hit pretty hard this coming 3 day holiday weekend, so a buddy and I went today instead....like a whole bunch of others!  There  were quite a lot out on Mantua today, but all spread out nicely...mostly concentrated near the West side....we went elsewhere, finding 12 FOW, setting up tents and gear, then lines in water about 0845...fairly good bluegill bite the first hour, then way slow about 1000 to 1130, then good action again the last 1/2 hour, and we pulled out at 1200...2 dinky perch came up to see the light for me, as well as a 12" bass, 1 small rainbow, and the 'gills...I gave a dozen nicer gills a ride home, my buddy brought home a mix of 8 total...Walking out to our spot (with 6' ice poker), I did see 1 very 'iffy' spot..As I was poking ice in front and sides of me while walking, I saw 1 spot off to my right that I at first thought was someone's old ice hole, about 10" diameter, but  it wasn't frozen over like all the other old ice holes...I stood back, but jabbed my ice poker in/ around, and it appeared to be about 2" ice thickness around that opening...One of those "dead weed/gassy spots" that Tube Dude was talking about? Maybe...continuing on, where we drilled it was a very solid 7 or 8" of ice...Good A.M. for us out on Mantua, but BEWARE, there will be some unsafe spots out there, could be anywhere, and we certainly don't want anyone else taking an unplanned ice water plunge...Carry/use your safety gear...Guluk...
(12-31-2020, 04:54 AM)Jmorfish Wrote: Great to read some good ice fishing reports for Northern Utah...pretty sure all will get hit pretty hard this coming 3 day holiday weekend, so a buddy and I went today instead....like a whole bunch of others!  There  were quite a lot out on Mantua today, but all spread out nicely...mostly concentrated near the West side....we went elsewhere, finding 12 FOW, setting up tents and gear, then lines in water about 0845...fairly good bluegill bite the first hour, then way slow about 1000 to 1130, then good action again the last 1/2 hour, and we pulled out at 1200...2 dinky perch came up to see the light for me, as well as a 12" bass, 1 small rainbow, and the 'gills...I gave a dozen nicer gills a ride home, my buddy brought home a mix of 8 total...Walking out to our spot (with 6' ice poker), I did see 1 very 'iffy' spot..As I was poking ice in front and sides of me while walking, I saw 1 spot off to my right that I at first thought was someone's old ice hole, about 10" diameter, but  it wasn't frozen over like all the other old ice holes...I stood back, but jabbed my ice poker in/ around, and it appeared to be about 2" ice thickness around that opening...One of those "dead weed/gassy spots" that Tube Dude was talking about? Maybe...continuing on, where we drilled it was a very solid 7 or 8" of ice...Good A.M. for us out on Mantua, but BEWARE, there will be some unsafe spots out there, could be anywhere, and we certainly don't want anyone else taking an unplanned ice water plunge...Carry/use your safety gear...Guluk...
Nice report I'm glad you got out.
ObiOneFish --- Good on ya! When did you become Moderator? A friend of mine was at MacKay Res. about the same time you were, said he got 3 smaller Kokes and a few trout..hope we can hit the ice one day...trying Rockport tomorrow...Guluk...
(01-01-2021, 08:32 PM)Jmorfish Wrote: ObiOneFish --- Good on ya! When did you become Moderator?  A friend of mine was at MacKay Res. about the same time you were, said he got 3 smaller Kokes and a few trout..hope we can hit the ice one day...trying Rockport tomorrow...Guluk...
Apparently, Randy lobbied Kurt back in November when we where fishing Henry's together, to ask me to be a Moderator for the Idaho board as I spend a fair amount of time up there fishing and posting. The bite was not easy, as FastRandy and 2Knotts can attest, there was no shortage of fish on the screen with many lite taps, setting the hook was the hard part.
Congrats on becoming a moderator, Shawn. I saw that you were one but couldn't figure out on which board. I know you'll do great and have a lot of fun. Hopefully we'll get together at Strawberry. Let me know if you're going to Porcupine and maybe we'll finally get 'er done this year.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.